Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:18 AM

144 posts, read 163,673 times

Advertisements

Dude I work near WTC in the same type of "high stake demanding" environment and here's the words of wisdom: do NOT live in Queens. I repeat do NOT live in Queens. Assuming your friend even lives near E train, its just too freaking far. You don't need 40min-1hr commute. Chinatown is not real convenient either. You would be able to walk (20min walk) or cab (~$10 ride) but subway options would be limited. DO rent in Jersey City near Path station, for example om 70 Greene St or one of the other buildings on the water. You get more space for your $$ and the approval prcess is infinitely easier compared to dealing with highly paranoid landlords in the City (which to a person not familiar with the realities of NYC could be quite shoking actually). Jersey City along the water is nice, affordable and your commute will be 15-20min. You will be exempt from NYC taxes and trains run 24hr.

Oh yeah, and Harrison NJ is a ghetto. Stay away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 06:26 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,397,471 times
Agree with above- Harrison NJ is horrible.

I live in Financial District and I like it, so I would recommend it. If you are willing to live with a roommate, you can get a mid to high floor apartment with great views and lots of amenities around your price range.

I often walk to wtc and it's super close.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:34 AM

I concur on FiDi its great value. I would consider it as an option as well. Also, to add to the above, TriBeca is where the boss of the OP's boss would live. Very expensive.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:18 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
Yes, living on first avenue on the upper east side is just great when you work at the World Trade Center - nothing like a 1.5 hour commute from the two furthest places possible in Manhattan - who comes up with this advice.

A bit of info about yourself would help. Hoboken can be great if you are young and it's super convenient to the WTC. It's a great town if you are young, looking to meet friends, and want a clean living environment. Great deals can be had in the financial district as well, which is very convenient to your work.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:35 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post

A bit of info about yourself would help. Hoboken can be great if you are young and it's super convenient to the WTC. It's a great town if you are young, looking to meet friends, and want a clean living environment. Great deals can be had in the financial district as well, which is very convenient to your work.
I too was just thinking that Hoboken might be a good option as it is just short ride away on the PATH train.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:46 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandweller13 View Post
Dude I work near WTC in the same type of "high stake demanding" environment and here's the words of wisdom: do NOT live in Queens. I repeat do NOT live in Queens. Assuming your friend even lives near E train, its just too freaking far. You don't need 40min-1hr commute. Chinatown is not real convenient either. You would be able to walk (20min walk) or cab (~$10 ride) but subway options would be limited. DO rent in Jersey City near Path station, for example om 70 Greene St or one of the other buildings on the water. You get more space for your $$ and the approval prcess is infinitely easier compared to dealing with highly paranoid landlords in the City (which to a person not familiar with the realities of NYC could be quite shoking actually). Jersey City along the water is nice, affordable and your commute will be 15-20min. You will be exempt from NYC taxes and trains run 24hr.

Oh yeah, and Harrison NJ is a ghetto. Stay away.

I work in finance in Tribeca and live in Queens.... It's really not that bad. We gave up the midtown Manhattan apartment to sublet it after we got married to save money. Huge apartment in Queens and the commute really isn't bad.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:54 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Yes, living on first avenue on the upper east side is just great when you work at the World Trade Center - nothing like a 1.5 hour commute from the two furthest places possible in Manhattan - who comes up with this advice.
If you're near the 86st express train stop its only 4 stops to brooklyn bridge, 5 to Fulton st and 6 to Wall st, 7 to bowling green. That wont take long at all.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I work in finance in Tribeca and live in Queens.... It's really not that bad. We gave up the midtown Manhattan apartment to sublet it after we got married to save money. Huge apartment in Queens and the commute really isn't bad.
But what's the point of living in Queens (unless you have some sort of connection to Queens) if you could live in JC and be one station away on Path? You probably work in one of the towers on Greenwich st in North Tribeca - for you its a walk from the WTC/Path. But the OP would literally roll into his office building on a train Beats E train any day.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:28 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandweller13 View Post
But what's the point of living in Queens (unless you have some sort of connection to Queens) if you could live in JC and be one station away on Path? You probably work in one of the towers on Greenwich st in North Tribeca - for you its a walk from the WTC/Path. But the OP would literally roll into his office building on a train Beats E train any day.

I worked in midtown until a year ago and my commute from Queens was 25 minutes. Changed jobs and moved down to this area, so it's an extra 25 minutes. Hour tops. In the morning I close my eyes, on the way home I read. It's really not bad. Because my husband's business is still in midtown, and because we only pay $800 in rent because he's had the apartment 15 years, yeah, it beats JC any day Like I said, we gave up my place in convenient midtown (we used to keep 2 places since the Queens one was so cheap) to save money.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:49 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
If you're near the 86st express train stop its only 4 stops to brooklyn bridge, 5 to Fulton st and 6 to Wall st, 7 to bowling green. That wont take long at all.
It's also NOT that quick during peak rush hours. The Lexington Ave lines get backed up every morning. A trip that takes me 25 minutes during not peak times often take me 40 minutes during peak times. I would not recommend the OP live On the UES since he said he can not be late to work. To play it safe he will have to always budget an hour to get there. Those 4 stops only take 25 minutes according to mta but you need to plan on 40-45. Then you have to factor in walking to and from so If you are not okay with budgeting an hour travel time each way this area is not for you.

I'd personally look into a roommate situation in fidi or Jersey City. When working 80 hours a week, which I have done that last thing you want is a commute home. You want to walk out of the office and have your bed near by so you can sleep a couple of hours and turn back and do it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City