Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 03:14 AM

191 posts, read 220,627 times

Advertisements

Combine income is about $65k, good rental history. I fell on hard times a few years back and messed up my credit bad. I can provide pay stubs from my steady job I’ve had for 4years. I can also provide recommendation letter from my current landlord which whom I have a good relation. Would like to stay up north in Bronx, perhaps near the concourse but above 190s.

Prefer finding it myself without a broker to save the fee. A 2br for around $1500 budget.
I want to move out of the area I’m living in right now, it is driving me nuts(194st & Bainbridge ave). The neighborhood is getting really bad again, my landlord doesn’t take care of the building that well, we go through hell every winter over the heat, the super is practically useless with the IQ of a mosquito.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 03:37 AM

943 posts, read 1,198,371 times
Expect a three month in advance security deposit.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:42 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
it is always possible but why any landlord would not check is beyond me.

today credit reports are like virginity. you get one shot at it and then it really is a toss up as to whether you will even get to give an explanation or just be rejected.

finding good tenants is like fighting a war and like in war innocent people get killed.

eventually the trifecta from hell ,divorce ,illness or job loss strike tenants who are good and get landlords at least once no matter how careful they are as their tenant's problems become your problems.

i know when we ran ads for apartments we had so many responses that i would only pick from those with top credit and enough money on hand that the first month ,last month and security deposit were no problem.

i do not want anyone living hand to mouth either.

many folks with bad credit have turned themselves around and were not really bad folks but does a landlord want to risk the fact you have already shown an inability or unwillingness to pay vs someone who shows an excellent history of ability and willingness to pay.

it is that willingness to pay that is more important than the ability to pay many times.

good luck , i hope it works out for you.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:45 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it is always possible but why any landlord would not check is beyond me.

today credit reports are like virginity. you get one shot at it and then it really is a toss up as to whether you will even get to give an explanation or just be rejected.

finding good tenants is like fighting a war and like in war innocent people get killed.

eventually the trifecta from hell ,divorce ,illness or job loss strike tenants who are good and get landlords at least once no matter how careful they are as their tenant's problems become your problems.

i know when we ran ads for apartments we had so many responses that i would only pick from those with top credit and enough money on hand that the first month ,last month and security deposit were no problem.

i do not want anyone living hand to mouth either.

many folks with bad credit have turned themselves around and were not really bad folks but does a landlord want to risk the fact you have already shown an inability or unwillingness to pay vs someone who shows an excellent history of ability and willingness to pay.

it is that willingness to pay that is more important than the ability to pay many times.

good luck , i hope it works out for you.

And thus another ignorant landlord who can't read the newspapers. Someone can have good credit and be an ax murderer. This is most prevalent in NYC and few other places.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:49 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Yep! A very ignorant but successful landlord i might add.

we do background checks as well.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:50 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
And thus another ignorant landlord who can't read the newspapers. Someone can have good credit and be an ax murderer. This is most prevalent in NYC and few other places.
Most landlords are interested only in getting their rent money regularly and on time,not what their tenants do in their spare time.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:56 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycman9 View Post
Combine income is about $65k, good rental history. I fell on hard times a few years back and messed up my credit bad. I can provide pay stubs from my steady job I’ve had for 4years. I can also provide recommendation letter from my current landlord which whom I have a good relation. Would like to stay up north in Bronx, perhaps near the concourse but above 190s.

Prefer finding it myself without a broker to save the fee. A 2br for around $1500 budget.
I want to move out of the area I’m living in right now, it is driving me nuts(194st & Bainbridge ave). The neighborhood is getting really bad again, my landlord doesn’t take care of the building that well, we go through hell every winter over the heat, the super is practically useless with the IQ of a mosquito.
Why would you move anywhere near E 194th street in the first place?

Old 04-03-2014, 06:48 AM

29 posts, read 39,739 times
I actually live on 194 and bainbridge and it seems fine. I've been here almost 2 years but I'm thinking about going closer to mount Vernon, but still in the Bronx.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:11 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycman9 View Post

You can usually find an apartment pretty easily in the Bronx without a broker but in this case you are probably going to need a broker and you might have to pay a bit extra.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:39 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,740 times
You can find an apt but without a broker it won't be in a better area than the one you're in presently. Even with a broker it's going to be tough. Landlords have smartened up a lot from the days of knocking on the super's door and being accepted at face value once you showed a few paystubs.

Nice apts in nice areas of the Bronx are very limited so why would a landlord take a chance on you when folks are beating down the door to live in the few good rentals/areas in the Bronx?

Last edited by Jasper03; 04-03-2014 at 08:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City