Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 09:25 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farruko View Post
Bronx is pulling a Brooklyn
I really hope that's the case. Its way over due.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 07:19 AM

138 posts, read 208,104 times
My spouse and I just bought in the Bronx. We're white, middle-class people. We had to leave Brooklyn after we couldn't afford the rents, rented in Queens for five years, were ready to buy and couldn't find anything we could afford / wanted to spend that much money on. In Astoria, where we lived, there was a new condo development a block from us. 700 sq. ft. one bedroom apartments were selling for more than the 2,000 sq. ft. house on a 3,500 sq. ft. lot, with a driveway, that we ended up buying in Marble Hill. No coop board, no neighbors directly on top of us, easy access to the 1 train and MetroNorth. It's a racially and economically diverse neighborhood. The parks are amazing. We couldn't be happier.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:27 AM

80 posts, read 85,400 times
Good for you. We need more folks like you to make the Bronx better. Good luck!!

Old 07-30-2014, 11:09 AM

116 posts, read 145,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by versicle View Post
My spouse and I just bought in the Bronx. We're white, middle-class people. We had to leave Brooklyn after we couldn't afford the rents, rented in Queens for five years, were ready to buy and couldn't find anything we could afford / wanted to spend that much money on. In Astoria, where we lived, there was a new condo development a block from us. 700 sq. ft. one bedroom apartments were selling for more than the 2,000 sq. ft. house on a 3,500 sq. ft. lot, with a driveway, that we ended up buying in Marble Hill. No coop board, no neighbors directly on top of us, easy access to the 1 train and MetroNorth. It's a racially and economically diverse neighborhood. The parks are amazing. We couldn't be happier.
Similar story for me. We were looking throughout Manhattan and Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, etc. We were able to purchase a proper townhouse in South Bronx for significantly less (even when factoring in the gut reno costs!) than the 1100 - 1300 sq ft. 2 bedroom in a co-op with astronomical monthly fees we were seeing elsewhere.

Through the process and some of our other dealings, we have met several developers in the area and it seems promising - in our neighborhood the population is supposedly diversifying from where it was a few years ago. There are rumblings of even greater improvements down the line as well - less grandiose than the riverfront park (which is not happening anytime soon if at all) but more concrete which is exciting.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Congrats. I'm very happy in the fact that you decided to give the Bronx a chance and look pass the stigma and stereotypes.

As a Bronx landlord myself, I can tell you that the Bronx has improved tremendously over the years and will continue to improve in the future. It's just a matter of time. You are a pioneer and will reap the rewards when the Bronx pulls a Brooklyn and becomes the next hot neighborhood.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie180 View Post
Similar story for me. We were looking throughout Manhattan and Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, etc. We were able to purchase a proper townhouse in South Bronx for significantly less (even when factoring in the gut reno costs!) than the 1100 - 1300 sq ft. 2 bedroom in a co-op with astronomical monthly fees we were seeing elsewhere.

Through the process and some of our other dealings, we have met several developers in the area and it seems promising - in our neighborhood the population is supposedly diversifying from where it was a few years ago. There are rumblings of even greater improvements down the line as well - less grandiose than the riverfront park (which is not happening anytime soon if at all) but more concrete which is exciting.
Congrats to you to. We need more middle class folks like you moving to the Bronx to help improve it. As I mentioned in my previous post, you to are a pioneer in venturing out to the Bronx and I guarantee you that you will reap the rewards once the Bronx becomes the next hot neighborhood to live in. You will be ahead of the curve.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:39 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,011 times
My spouse and I aren't white but we are middle-class and recently purchased a single family home in the Bronx. We searched the surrounding suburbs for over 2 years and decided to stay in the Bronx. My next door neighbors are Indian and middle class. We spoke about why we decided to purchase in the Bronx and had almost the same exact reasons. Cost of living, cost and length of commute, and the fact that the Bronx has improved greatly in the last decade.

Quote:

Old 07-30-2014, 11:42 AM

116 posts, read 145,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Congrats to you to. We need more middle class folks like you moving to the Bronx to help improve it. As I mentioned in my previous post, you to are a pioneer in venturing out to the Bronx and I guarantee you that you will reap the rewards once the Bronx becomes the next hot neighborhood to live in. You will be ahead of the curve.
We are so excited! We've met some great folks up there too (although we likely won't be moving in until some time in 2015). The unit has a few LPC and occupancy violations that we will be amending so I'm glad to be improving the neighborhood even if it's just my small piece.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:23 PM

80 posts, read 85,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
My spouse and I aren't white but we are middle-class and recently purchased a single family home in the Bronx. We searched the surrounding suburbs for over 2 years and decided to stay in the Bronx. My next door neighbors are Indian and middle class. We spoke about why we decided to purchase in the Bronx and had almost the same exact reasons. Cost of living, cost and length of commute, and the fact that the Bronx has improved greatly in the last decade.

My friend, thank you for helping out the bronx. Who cares about the color or race, its character and prosocial behavior. Good luck!

Go get 'em tiger!

Old 07-31-2014, 10:34 AM

107 posts, read 219,390 times
Quote:
Thanks! Your post is very reassuring. I too just purchased closer to Riverdale in the Kingsbridge section and could not be happier. The area is quiet, safe, restaurants are around every other corner and the park is nearby which is great because my SO and I love biking and running. The price is so low compared to places like Astoria (where I lived in the past) that for the price of a 2bdrm dinky apartment I could purchase a house! Glad to hear that someone else has made the move to the area as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City