Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:39 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,641 times

Advertisements

Yes we get it he's a troll troll troll troll

I said he was a troll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 08:26 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acceptyourself View Post
I found a 2br in SoHo for $1750 per person. Couldnt get it though. slightly above 3k a month all in, but its possible.
I'd say $3500 is more than just slightly above $3000.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:08 PM

251 posts, read 341,712 times
OP, I think you are confused about how living in NYC works.

1. No one lives in one neighborhood and parties and eats in just one neighborhood. One of the great things about living in NYC is that public transportation is relatively quick and vast. You'll make friends who live in the UES, UWS, Financial District, Soho, Brooklyn, Queens, NJ, etc, etc. You'll meet and party in different neighborhoods. This idea that you have to live where you party is not necessary at all.

2. Manhattan has become so expensive that there aren't really any neighborhoods that cater to the 22 - 25 year old age group. Where this is happening is in the other boroughs (Brooklyn and Queens). If you really want to be surrounded by people your own age, look at Astoria, Sunnyside, or other places in Brooklyn and Queens with a young demographic. Know that most 22 year olds probably earn $35 - $45K and will be living in areas you might deem as sketchy.

3. At 22, you should be willing to share. If not, move to the other boroughs.

4. There are very few areas left in Manhattan that can be labeled "sketchy." Focus on areas that would service you getting to work easily via subway or bus.

Lastly, my recommendation would be to check out Herald Towers in Herald Square. For some strange reason this building is full of recent graduates. The apartments are 1BR but easily convertible to 2 (I think the mgmt provides the extra walls) and go for about $3K in rent.

Or check out Jersey City/Hoboken in NJ, if it makes sense commuting wise.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:48 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
Yeah, it's definitely not that hard to pull a hot 20 yr old from a club in meatpacking, have her walk three avenues over, wait in the subway for 30 minutes, transfer to hop on the green line at like 63rd street, then take that up until you get off for your 20 minute walk east to 1st avenue. Those panties will be dropped in no time.

Listen, you're only making 70k so you're going to have to sacrifice. If you want to live in a good area, that means paying $1600/person for a fake two bedroom. But don't live in a neighborhood you are constantly leaving. You're commuting every day to work, and you couldn't pay me to take the subway going out on the weekends.....live in an area you like and convenient to work.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 PM

64 posts, read 85,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Yeah, it's definitely not that hard to pull a hot 20 yr old from a club in meatpacking, have her walk three avenues over, wait in the subway for 30 minutes, transfer to hop on the green line at like 63rd street, then take that up until you get off for your 20 minute walk east to 1st avenue. Those panties will be dropped in no time.

Listen, you're only making 70k so you're going to have to sacrifice. If you want to live in a good area, that means paying $1600/person for a fake two bedroom. But don't live in a neighborhood you are constantly leaving. You're commuting every day to work, and you couldn't pay me to take the subway going out on the weekends.....live in an area you like and convenient to work.
This guy is oh so trollin'... and don't/won't you take a cab home... hell spending $40 to get your girl for the night home doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Only 70k ? Man... I'm 24 and I'm only making 25k. Damn I need to go back to school or something!

Old 04-09-2014, 06:38 AM

103 posts, read 162,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv224 View Post
OP, I think you are confused about how living in NYC works.

1. No one lives in one neighborhood and parties and eats in just one neighborhood. One of the great things about living in NYC is that public transportation is relatively quick and vast. You'll make friends who live in the UES, UWS, Financial District, Soho, Brooklyn, Queens, NJ, etc, etc. You'll meet and party in different neighborhoods. This idea that you have to live where you party is not necessary at all.

2. Manhattan has become so expensive that there aren't really any neighborhoods that cater to the 22 - 25 year old age group. Where this is happening is in the other boroughs (Brooklyn and Queens). If you really want to be surrounded by people your own age, look at Astoria, Sunnyside, or other places in Brooklyn and Queens with a young demographic. Know that most 22 year olds probably earn $35 - $45K and will be living in areas you might deem as sketchy.

3. At 22, you should be willing to share. If not, move to the other boroughs.

4. There are very few areas left in Manhattan that can be labeled "sketchy." Focus on areas that would service you getting to work easily via subway or bus.

Lastly, my recommendation would be to check out Herald Towers in Herald Square. For some strange reason this building is full of recent graduates. The apartments are 1BR but easily convertible to 2 (I think the mgmt provides the extra walls) and go for about $3K in rent.

Or check out Jersey City/Hoboken in NJ, if it makes sense commuting wise.
Thank you

Old 04-09-2014, 07:30 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:

Don't call it the green line. Natives hate that.

As for what you described in 1st paragraph, you could just take a cab you know...

Old 04-09-2014, 08:59 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times
70K is not that much money. It is 2014 and you are talking about Manhattan. So the fact it doesn't go far should not be all that surprising.

Your goal should be to live as cheaply as possible in a comfortable place with a relatively painless commute. Don't think prestige. Think how far the money you save will take you.

Again, this is advice if you aren't a troll. If you are smart enough to make 70K at your age you'd ought to be smart enough not to get caught up in prestigious addresses just yet.

I made almost 100K last year and live in a studio in the outer boroughs. Most of my money goes into a ROTH IRA, savings for purchasing property, and global stocks with a diversified portfolio. In 20 years these things will be worth something to me. A ritzy apartment I had back in the day will mean practically nothing. I allow myself a few luxuries in the form of an annual vacation, a few bags, etc. But the really essential things I stay frugal on, for good reason.

Also, I think outer borough living can be very underrated. I have a lovely and quiet terrace to have breakfast on every morning with a beautiful view of the skyline. I have amazing cafes and bistros down the street where I can get practically anything I need for a fraction of the cost.

I really do not understand why anyone would want Manhattan on less than 150K a year anymore, unless they were very young or so tied to their jobs the commute was a true hinderance. Even 150K seems low at this point. It is becoming a stratified society and if you don't wise up you could be tossed into the dredges of poverty even at your salary. Sounds harsh but I've seen it happen to more than one individual in the current economy.

All it takes is an attitude where you live only for today. It would be wise to observe it could all be gone in an instant. That is what adults do, we plan for emergencies and prepare accordingly. You still sound very much like a 22 year old, even with your modest success.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 04-09-2014 at 09:20 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 09:48 PM

103 posts, read 162,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
70K is not that much money. It is 2014 and you are talking about Manhattan. So the fact it doesn't go far should not be all that surprising.

Your goal should be to live as cheaply as possible in a comfortable place with a relatively painless commute. Don't think prestige. Think how far the money you save will take you.

Again, this is advice if you aren't a troll. If you are smart enough to make 70K at your age you'd ought to be smart enough not to get caught up in prestigious addresses just yet.

I made almost 100K last year and live in a studio in the outer boroughs. Most of my money goes into a ROTH IRA, savings for purchasing property, and global stocks with a diversified portfolio. In 20 years these things will be worth something to me. A ritzy apartment I had back in the day will mean practically nothing. I allow myself a few luxuries in the form of an annual vacation, a few bags, etc. But the really essential things I stay frugal on, for good reason.

Also, I think outer borough living can be very underrated. I have a lovely and quiet terrace to have breakfast on every morning with a beautiful view of the skyline. I have amazing cafes and bistros down the street where I can get practically anything I need for a fraction of the cost.

I really do not understand why anyone would want Manhattan on less than 150K a year anymore, unless they were very young or so tied to their jobs the commute was a true hinderance. Even 150K seems low at this point. It is becoming a stratified society and if you don't wise up you could be tossed into the dredges of poverty even at your salary. Sounds harsh but I've seen it happen to more than one individual in the current economy.

All it takes is an attitude where you live only for today. It would be wise to observe it could all be gone in an instant. That is what adults do, we plan for emergencies and prepare accordingly. You still sound very much like a 22 year old, even with your modest success.

I already have quite a bit of money saved and being invested. At this point I'm placing more value on life experiences instead of money.. You can always get an opportunity to make money. But you're only in your early 20s once and not many people can make it to NYC and stay there. Sometimes you've gotta just live the experience to say you've done it

Old 04-09-2014, 09:52 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Yeah, it's definitely not that hard to pull a hot 20 yr old from a club in meatpacking, have her walk three avenues over
Ah, another benefit of an office in Chelsea :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City