Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 04:49 PM

106 posts, read 183,739 times

Advertisements

Ozone Park is still nice from Sutter Ave. south to the Howard Beach boarder, and if you go east of Cross Bay Blvd. which locales call Centerville it is also very nice. I was looking into a home on 149th Ave. east of Cross Bay but the time was not right for me yet to come back to the old nabe. My job is quite a distance but I would consider OZ still a great area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 06:25 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBOY75 View Post
Ozone Park is still nice from Sutter Ave. south to the Howard Beach boarder, and if you go east of Cross Bay Blvd. which locales call Centerville it is also very nice. I was looking into a home on 149th Ave. east of Cross Bay but the time was not right for me yet to come back to the old nabe. My job is quite a distance but I would consider OZ still a great area!
I wouldn't consider it great but otherwise I agree. I use to live on Pitkin. Centerville is easily the nicest and safest section of OZP.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:44 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Honestly even Corona is overrated. It's just a really dirty area, but most of it is not bad. Typically a good sign that you're in a bad area is when people start staring at u, but that never happened to me in Corona. When u see people staring u down, then get the **** out the area

I never understood why people in bad areas do the staring thing anyways. Especially when u look at them and they just keep staring at you, that's some real paedo stuff right there

Old 06-25-2014, 07:49 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Honestly even Corona is overrated. It's just a really dirty area, but most of it is not bad. Typically a good sign that you're in a bad area is when people start staring at u, but that never happened to me in Corona. When u see people staring u down, then get the **** out the area

I never understood why people in bad areas do the staring thing anyways. Especially when u look at them and they just keep staring at you, that's some real paedo stuff right there
They are sizing you up for a vic or a cop.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:51 PM

343 posts, read 1,025,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post

I've had people stare at me in so called "good areas." The concept is not just practiced in "bad neighborhoods." People are generally just NOSEY, and want to know who is coming onto their block. Most communities, good or bad, know the majority of people on the block.

You could be the cops, the killer, a burglar, a rapist, etc. People wanna know so they can react accordingly.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:46 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,971,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
By the reasoning of some in this thread, NEARLY ALL white people are bigoted.

Here are the explicit or implicit questions that arise when whites discuss or think of real estate:

> "Are there _________ (any not-white group) living there?"
> "Are there _________ living near there?"
> "Are there _________ going to the schools there?"
> "Are there _________ moving there?"

They ask this because nearly all whites don't want to be around __________. This is the reality of the situation. Hence whites move when ____________ become too numerous in a town or city they are residing in if they have the means to do so.

When whites say "bad neighborhood" they are using code-speak for "black neighborhood". When they say, "The neighborhood changed," or "The neighborhood is changing," they mean the neighborhood became or is becoming less white. When whites say, "Good school district," they mean an Asian and white school district. When whites say, "bad school," they mean, "black and/or Hispanic school".

That's it!

What should we do with the nearly all bigoted white people of this country? Should we punish them for wanting to be around their own kind? Or FORCE them to integrate?

Any suggestions?

LOL...whites in NYC are on the brink of extinction...they refuse to reproduce or even if they do, they reproduce minimally mostly for the fun of it....so just let them do whatever they choose to do for now.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:52 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
Most communities, good or bad, know the majority of people on the block.
This can't possibly be true, unless you're talking about a block made up of houses or brownstones. On my own fairly short block in Queens, there are several multi-story buildings, which means thousands of people live on my block. There is no way anyone knows the majority of people on the block, or who doesn't "belong." This is especially true since there are people moving in and out all the time.

Now, if you have a block in a neighborhood that tends to be all one color, like, say, black, and a white person walks down the block, then residents may know or guess that person isn't from there.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I always thought it was the schools with the most Asians that were the best ones.
Asians are a mixed bag. Muslim asians are very street smart but care little about academics in general. east asians tend to focus more on school and education, generally the nerdy type.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:33 AM

343 posts, read 1,025,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This can't possibly be true, unless you're talking about a block made up of houses or brownstones. On my own fairly short block in Queens, there are several multi-story buildings, which means thousands of people live on my block. There is no way anyone knows the majority of people on the block, or who doesn't "belong." This is especially true since there are people moving in and out all the time.

Now, if you have a block in a neighborhood that tends to be all one color, like, say, black, and a white person walks down the block, then residents may know or guess that person isn't from there.
Oh please, Sorry your transplant anti-social self doesnt know the majority of your neighbors. I grew up on a block with 12 buildings, 13 stories each, and we knew everyone!!! Note, I said majority. Some communities are tighter than others and Most of NYC is made up of small blocks with single and two family homes, and small apartment buildings. I've also lived in a doorman building with 1150 units. You think the doorman knew who lived there and who didn't?

Old 06-26-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
Oh please, Sorry your transplant anti-social self doesnt know the majority of your neighbors. I grew up on a block with 12 buildings, 13 stories each, and we knew everyone!!! Note, I said majority. Some communities are tighter than others and Most of NYC is made up of small blocks with single and two family homes, and small apartment buildings. I've also lived in a doorman building with 1150 units. You think the doorman knew who lived there and who didn't?
it sounds like you are one of those guys who do nothing but to hang in front of building watching ppl going in/out daily...so called block watchers...other than those guys, i do not believe that a normal functional contributing citizen with a regular job can possiblly keep track on who lives on the block out of thousands of residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City