Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:35 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times

Advertisements

NYC would of changed regardless, the only difference is that It didn't become Detroit 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 08:05 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
"Character" - Like graffiti, the smell of urine in the subway, people burning cars for fun, briefcases being snatched in Madison Ave.

Yep, those where the good ol' days.
I know right...to think people actually prefer those days over the current more safer and cleaner city. A bunch of idiots!

Old 04-17-2014, 08:06 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
It just got more commercialized than ever.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:30 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
So all these transplants paid $2500 for a small studio just to have Starbucks downstairs and see tourists walking by everyday?

More and more iconic NYC businesses are disappearing and replaced by franchises or showrooms for big brand names.

NYC has become a big business catalog. Many stores here are opened for the sake of promoting a brand not to make a living.

M&M store for example, how can they make money selling M&M merchandise? The answer is it's just a big commercial for brand awareness. I bet the store barely makes a profit after rent, salaries, and expenses.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:59 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
So all these transplants paid $2500 for a small studio just to have Starbucks downstairs and see tourists walking by everyday?

More and more iconic NYC businesses are disappearing and replaced by franchises or showrooms for big brand names.

NYC has become a big business catalog. Many stores here are opened for the sake of promoting a brand not to make a living.

M&M store for example, how can they make money selling M&M merchandise? The answer is it's just a big commercial for brand awareness. I bet the store barely makes a profit after rent, salaries, and expenses.
What was at the M&M store location 30 years ago? NYC has always been more commercial than the rest of the country. The rest of the country caught up and now people complain that NYC is commercial like the rest of the country. Madison ave is and was always located in Manhattan.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:45 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

I dunno, we took my cousin to the M&M store when she was visiting. It was packed and the line was about 30 people long to check out at all the registers. Something tells me they do ok.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:06 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Even though NYC is much safer than before it still has character. In the subways you will find crazy people all the times... It still can get "scary." Also we still have that NY attitude. So no NYC have not lost its character. Have you been to the Bronx? If you go to the upper class parts of NYC, then you will not see its true character. My 2 cents.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:12 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Even though NYC is much safer than before it still has character. In the subways you will find crazy people all the times... It still can get "scary." Also we still have that NY attitude. So no NYC have not lost its character. Have you been to the Bronx? If you go to the upper class parts of NYC, then you will not see its true character. My 2 cents.
Haha nycrican is back. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: