Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 01:37 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It would be interesting to hear more about the perspective of the Millennial generation raised in inner cities. Here's a comical perspective from Gawker.

Black People Moving to Suburbs as White People Move to Cities

Then there's this perspective from someone raised in Detroit.

Why is urbanism so white? | City Notes
I think the Black people moving to suburbs is mostly bull****. You can find Black people in all types of environmental, rural, suburban and urban.

With that said, you no longer have cheap housing in the suburbs in the nation's most expensive cities. It's one reason why real estate prices are so high in NYC. Poor people don't leave! Certainly not the poorest ones. In the suburbs they'd have to drive, and you still have high housing costs in the suburbs.

NYC is nowhere near being predominately white transplants. The Bronx is mostly Hispanic and Black. Northeastern Brooklyn is most Black. Queens is mostly immigrants of all races.

And believe it or not there are Black people or people of color who were born in NYC, raised in NYC, and got degrees and still work in NYC. Bronxguyanese was saying that perspective is one that these websites like Gawker IGNORE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 01:39 PM

32,109 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Good question? To the burbs, that's what I know as a New Yorker. Most of my fellow millnnials that were raised here left the city, most live in Florida and a couple live in NC. One or two live in outside in the NYC metro area.
I was just about to ask you "Where in the burbs?" It seems that a lot of Dominicans and Puerto Ricans are moving to Pennsylvania. A lot of West Indians are moving to Georgia. Metro Atlanta now has the third largest West Indian population behind New York and Miami.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:44 PM

32,109 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think the Black people moving to suburbs is mostly bull****. You can find Black people in all types of environmental, rural, suburban and urban.

With that said, you no longer have cheap housing in the suburbs in the nation's most expensive cities. It's one reason why real estate prices are so high in NYC. Poor people don't leave! Certainly not the poorest ones. In the suburbs they'd have to drive, and you still have high housing costs in the suburbs.

NYC is nowhere near being predominately white transplants. The Bronx is mostly Hispanic and Black. Northeastern Brooklyn is most Black. Queens is mostly immigrants of all races.

And believe it or not there are Black people or people of color who were born in NYC, raised in NYC, and got degrees and still work in NYC. Bronxguyanese was saying that perspective is one that these websites like Gawker IGNORE.
I don't think anyone's disputing whether black people still live in cities. That much should be obvious to anyone who doesn't remain cloistered in the whitest of gentrified neighborhoods. My point was that a lot of the "Millennial" perspective is really the perspective of upper class and white suburbanites and that other perspectives aren't really broadcasted.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone's disputing whether black people still live in cities. That much should be obvious to anyone who doesn't remain cloistered in the whitest of gentrified neighborhoods. My point was that a lot of the "Millennial" perspective is really the perspective of upper class and white suburbanites and that other perspectives aren't really broadcasted.
Good point.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I was just about to ask you "Where in the burbs?" It seems that a lot of Dominicans and Puerto Ricans are moving to Pennsylvania. A lot of West Indians are moving to Georgia. Metro Atlanta now has the third largest West Indian population behind New York and Miami.
I think what's happening as single family homes meant for a couple of adults and children became multifamily homes with multiple adults and children some people of color who want a middle class lifestyle and who are able to get stable jobs move into places like PA, Atlanta, Florida, etc.

The problem is NYC's population is still kept up by immigrants (not by transplants) who often live in deplorable conditions. I think it's more the immigrants who have moved up socioeconomically who can move out to areas where one has to drive. Those who remain poor continue to live 10 to a house or 5 to basement or 6 to an one bedroom apartment.

This isn't a NYC or a LA that people like to show on tv, but it's a huge percentage of the population in these cities. I'd even say the majority.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,394 times
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaas

Old 04-22-2014, 02:29 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times
Quote:
I think what's happening as single family homes meant for a couple of adults and children became multifamily homes with multiple adults and children some people of color who want a middle class lifestyle and who are able to get stable jobs move into places like PA, Atlanta, Florida, etc.

The problem is NYC's population is still kept up by immigrants (not by transplants) who often live in deplorable conditions. I think it's more the immigrants who have moved up socioeconomically who can move out to areas where one has to drive. Those who remain poor continue to live 10 to a house or 5 to basement or 6 to an one bedroom apartment.

This isn't a NYC or a LA that people like to show on tv, but it's a huge percentage of the population in these cities. I'd even say the majority.
I always wonder if those people who live 10 to an apartment show up in the census. Even if those were legal immigrants I would tend to think that they'd be afraid to tell the census surveyors the truth about how many 2 family houses have been illegally converted to 5/6 families (front/back units on 1st/2nd floors and one possibly two apartments in the basement). There's a ton of those in Brooklyn, and probably certain sections in Queens. I know that the population increased like 15% in the last 25 years, but it just feels like there's so many more people nowadays.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:44 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
It would be interesting to hear more about the perspective of the Millennial generation raised in inner cities. Here's a comical perspective from Gawker.

And liberal too!

Quote:

This is true. NYC is not nowhere near white Transplant and to a certain degree do not have much political say at the moment unless if they have money and I mean a lot of moeny. NYC is still minority full of Hispanics, Asian blacks and even ethnic white who are different than white Transplant. Again it is true that they are college degree earning New Yorkers who earned their degree and reside in NYC, however I wonder what is their pay salary and if its above living wage. Not to long ago I was shocked to know a woman who graduated from Baruch was working as a Barista in Starbucks. Also last I was not reading a Gawker website. However I do read Altantic Cities and New Geography which talks about urbanism and liberalism, creative class is catered to Atlantic Cities. And smaller, suburban ring cities with immediate downtown core, quality of life, cheaper cost of living and job growth which is catered to New Geography readers.

Quote:
I know of a Dominican woman whos family moved out of NYC to Atlanta. They opened up a hair salon in an Atlanta suburb, she told me her family hair salon appeared in one of the black reality TV shows on VH1. I also remember a video from the NYT and NPR that talked about West Indians moving to the South as well and not only African Americans.

Quote:

The last part is very true. All I know is that they are two urban movements going on in America, you have the big expensive cities where one can live the single life, high cost of living poor quality of life, income inequality, highly urban, highly liberal, mass transit and career driven. The cities in these categories are NYC, Boston, DC, SF, Chicago and Philly. These cities attract plenty of suburbanite youth who graduated out of college. Also these 6 legacy cities I have mentioned, those who move here will live in cheaper inner city ethnic neighborhoods which are close to the downtown core. A generation ago inner city nieghorhoods were crime infested, and home to poverty, broken families. Not only that but their are no jobs or jobs are limited in the suburbs so moving to the big city to find work is more ideal. I'm not sure if cities like Miami or LA fit this mold. All of these cities I have mentioned are in the North

Than you have the smaller mid sized cities which are suburban with a downtown core like Atlanta, Raleigh, Austin, Orlando, Dallas, Houston, San Diego, Phoenix, San Antonio OKC, Charlotte, Tampa, Nashville. These cities seem to attract plenty of Northerners from urban enviornments. These cities have high job growths and at times higher than northern liberal cities. Have cheaper cost of living and better quality of life. These cities do not have a high yield of the yuppie, hipster mono culture, even though these attitudes exist in smaller midsized cities its is usually confined to a small district and not spread out. Cities like what I just mentioned might be a good place to start a family, raise or family or even retire!

I can say is that the traditional picket white fence suburbs which are far flung from anywhere are probably good as dead.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:

The well-off (mostly white) New Yorkers I've met at college seemed to have as much of a urban orientation as suburban transplants, maybe more so.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:03 PM

417 posts, read 867,820 times
I love NYC, if I ever become a billionaire I will surely own a brownstone on 5th avenue. But if not, forget it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City