Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 11:31 PM

17 posts, read 23,772 times

Advertisements

My family bought a house in brooklyn. The previous homeowner used a type of heating/gas oil... im not sure exactly what it is but it had to do with pipes i believe where we had to replace because it cost a lot of money per month for whatever was there in monthly bills. My family told me the person who helped us with this said they helped us apply for something... it was something such as with the new york department of building but my family wants to know if the department of building in nyc received it or not. I know my question sounds very confusing and it is b/c im not really sure how to explain it b/c my family asked me to check online as they gave me the website of

Department of Buildings

They told me the person said this is the site to find the information to see if our application went through or not and to see if we are on the waiting list. Does anyone know what im talking about? They also told us the basement of the house... they said someone was going to come and inspect it and said someone should come within a few months but still no one did. At the moment our basement is not clean etc, no new carpet etc because we waiting for someone to come first before we fix it all up.

Does anyone know what im suppose to do on this website? They just told me that person who helped them said you can find the info on this website but again im not even sure what they asking me to look up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 06:08 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Is it gas or oil?
Is your family looking for a low income fuel subsidy?
Or a boiler inspection?

Old 04-25-2014, 09:27 AM

Im not 100 percent. The way they explained it to me, it said they had to replace something in the house and it cost like 1500 dollars or so because the bill for the month was something like 1000+. It was something with gas/oil and the heating im not sure.

It has nothing to do with low income fuel, it was just that whatever was being used in the house, the monthly cost was 1k+ so they had to get it replaced for around 1500 so every month the bill would be 100 or less?

Im not sure what the inspection is called. I just know someone from the government has to come to our basement and inspect it... it could be boiler but im not sure. Family told me they suppose to come within 2 months but they still haven't come. The way my family explained it to me, it was very confusing and they asked me to go on that website to see if the person that helped us out apply for something, i think its something thats like we changed the oil/gas etc ? Basically they want for me to find information for them but thing is they cant even explain it well but just gave me the website that someone who helped them with repairs in the house gave them this link...

Old 04-25-2014, 10:03 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
If it were a gas issue, you'd have no gas service since the gas company would shut it down. So that's a hint. Do you know if the gas is shut off? If there is a gas issue, the gas utility will shut down appliance and lock the meter. Then you need a licensed plumber to fix and a DOB inspection before utility can come in and open up gas service again.

Unfortunately people really look over this part of the equation when buying a house. Heating is a big cost and should be carefully considered.

It may be an oil issue. Probably something relating to a tank or piping. Owner really should have dealt with that before selling house, or he should have at least made you more aware of it and negotiated it out with you. You should get in contact with DOB ASAP and have someone clarify this to you. Your a little too scatted right now.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:06 AM

It sounds like they have expensive oil heat and want to switch over to gas. First thing is that it will cost a great deal more than $1500 to do.

Start here to get a handle on it:
Frequently Asked Questions About Converting to Natural Gas

Old 04-25-2014, 10:11 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
It sounds like they have expensive oil heat and want to switch over to gas. First thing is that it will cost a great deal more than $1500 to do.

Start here to get a handle on it:
Frequently Asked Questions About Converting to Natural Gas
I believe both Con Ed and Nat Grid offer an incentive/rebate to switch over. The gas line might not reach his house though.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:47 AM

We currently have gas in the house. So i guess its not the gas then since we could cook. I think its the heating then. Well they mentioned it was 1500 or so to get it replaced.

They said after they bought the house, someone from the housing department/government had to inspect the house but they wouldnt know when they would come. Family said that someone should come within 2 months but its more than that time already and still no one has came. The person who helped them with installing and some repairs of the house just said it could take up to 1 year etc for them to come and again its to inspect the baseball im told. So basically they gave me that link that i posted and said if i wanted to find the information, thats the website. HOwever... i have no clue what im suppose to do with that link. am i suppose to put the address of the house there?

I just know it has something to do with we applied for something new and that link would tell us if that company/government received it or not? Again im basically told to find out information for them but the information they gave me is very very confusing.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:11 AM

Oppenheim:

That link gets me:
THIS PAGE IS NOT AVAILABLE

Old 04-27-2014, 06:47 PM

This is the link

Department of Buildings

Okay this is what im told.

Family wants me to ask nyc building department if there is a permit on file for us to switch from oil to gas heating. the person who changed our heating system apply for one and we want to make sure that he did. Want to know if any inspector will come to home soon to check if done correctly. we also applied for two gas meters. When can we put in the additional gas meter.

Where in the website am i suppose to find this information? Am i suppose to call them or could i check this myself?

Old 04-27-2014, 09:59 PM

82 posts, read 175,088 times
I'm buying a house myself that is still using oil heat and that I'm planning to switch to gas prior to moving in.

Call your gas company (you say you already have cooking gas) and ask them for help in switching your heating system to gas. They'll be very eager. They'll have a program through which you'll be able to get the names of contractors who will come out and give you free estimates. $8,500 to $10,000 should do it (hopefully). You should be able to apply for and receive a rebate of $1,000 to $1,500 once the conversion is complete. The contractor will see to the permits and help you obtain the rebates. It's not cheap, but gas is definitely better for a house, and once it's out of the way the heating system shouldn't give you too many worries or be a possible strain on your emergency fund. Modernizing your heating system will reduce your monthly heating bill, make your basement more liveable, and add to the value of your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: