Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 05:30 PM

746 posts, read 866,297 times

Advertisements

It being so crowded that you can't even move arms is a way too crowded location for me to live I think. Anyone live there and I already know its actually an inconvience to own a car there. I think I would really miss having space between buildings. I realized I kind of like wide open ranges where the cows roam (literally) just not living in an actual rural area. I think I'd realize I miss the small town if I went to NYC. It'd be going from one extreme to the other. I think I have a love-hate relationship with small towns.

There's no good transit in most small towns especially in Texas (to my knowledge). But I actually do like the culture. Country women? OMG awesome. You don't neccessarily have to be a country man for a country women to like you. I've considered living in cities in Texas. I am not a racist, but in most of them it seems white people are a minority and I'm white and used to be in the majority. I like diversity, I just prefer for my race to be the majority where I live, more than 50%. And I do t want to somewhere that's too liberal. Lets say 53% was liberal and 46% conservative (other 1% might be 3rd party), that'd might be good enough for me.

I really hope I don't come off as intolerant, I'm just comfortable with the race and political statistics of where I live, the population is less than 18,000, at least a little bigger would be good.

If say 70% of the population is white than I don't think there's enough diversity. And if there's more males than females I'm not moving to that location because that means I'm less likely to even get a date more guys means more women are probably snatched up. If its at least 51% females that's good.

I know NYC has alot of jobs but also a high cost of living and I think its way too populated for me, but I could walk and ride the subway. There's not even buses where I live.

Transit is kind of a necessity for me, cause I don't want to drive and it'd be better for me to not. Also owning a car is so expensive, apartments are expensive and I'll probably need to pay for that at a not too far away point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 06:39 PM

16 posts, read 35,049 times
Given everything you wrote, you need to stay exactly where you are. You are the prototype of a person who will not be able to adapt to NYC and will go running screaming back home. After you take a few elbows to the face or get pressed up against some junkie on the subway, you will miss your private automobile dearly. Save your time and money and stay put.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja212 View Post
Given everything you wrote, you need to stay exactly where you are. You are the prototype of a person who will not be able to adapt to NYC and will go running screaming back home. After you take a few elbows to the face or get pressed up against some junkie on the subway, you will miss your private automobile dearly. Save your time and money and stay put.
I don't have a car. I don't want to drive. I will not stay where I am, but I won't go there either. I can't live good where I am in my situation.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:07 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,107 times
Try it out and see. If the things u mention will bother you then yes... U will not like it so dont waste your time and male the city more crowded.

Nyc is for people that know thesethings...

I moved from sterile, Northern NJ suburbs because it was killing me how boring and "plain " it was.

I moved here wanting a car free life, and yea the subway migt smell and its hot as balls in the summer underground... But i take the good w the bad

Old 04-27-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
Try it out and see. If the things u mention will bother you then yes... U will not like it so dont waste your time and male the city more crowded.

Nyc is for people that know thesethings...

I moved from sterile, Northern NJ suburbs because it was killing me how boring and "plain " it was.

I moved here wanting a car free life, and yea the subway migt smell and its hot as balls in the summer underground... But i take the good w the bad
It'd be better to live somewhere like that than be stuck most of the time and people thinking I'm weird because I don't drive. Self driving cars WILL NOT be here soon enough, and they still might not be a usually option for the average person. You know cause of costs.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:00 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,606,858 times
Reading your post I think you won't like NYC.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:04 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
Why move to a new place to live? Isnt visiting on vacation enough?

Old 04-27-2014, 09:04 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Yes. Miserable.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:13 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
It being so crowded that you can't even move arms is a way too crowded location for me to live I think. Anyone live there and I already know its actually an inconvience to own a car there. I think I would really miss having space between buildings. I realized I kind of like wide open ranges where the cows roam (literally) just not living in an actual rural area. I think I'd realize I miss the small town if I went to NYC. It'd be going from one extreme to the other. I think I have a love-hate relationship with small towns.

There's no good transit in most small towns especially in Texas (to my knowledge). But I actually do like the culture. Country women? OMG awesome. You don't neccessarily have to be a country man for a country women to like you. I've considered living in cities in Texas. I am not a racist, but in most of them it seems white people are a minority and I'm white and used to be in the majority. I like diversity, I just prefer for my race to be the majority where I live, more than 50%. And I do t want to somewhere that's too liberal. Lets say 53% was liberal and 46% conservative (other 1% might be 3rd party), that'd might be good enough for me.

I really hope I don't come off as intolerant, I'm just comfortable with the race and political statistics of where I live, the population is less than 18,000, at least a little bigger would be good.

If say 70% of the population is white than I don't think there's enough diversity. And if there's more males than females I'm not moving to that location because that means I'm less likely to even get a date more guys means more women are probably snatched up. If its at least 51% females that's good.

I know NYC has alot of jobs but also a high cost of living and I think its way too populated for me, but I could walk and ride the subway. There's not even buses where I live.

Transit is kind of a necessity for me, cause I don't want to drive and it'd be better for me to not. Also owning a car is so expensive, apartments are expensive and I'll probably need to pay for that at a not too far away point!
Hard to tell.You sound imprisoned.You might find NYC very liberating.There might be a whole new you just waiting to bust out of the closet so to speak.Things could go either way.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:20 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
NY is very liberal and very crowded. There's no space and no country women (there's some midwestern women but they came here partly to get away from midwestern men).

Cars don't bite. Unless you're blind or something, get one and learn to enjoy driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City