Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 06:37 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times

Advertisements

We go to NYU for my son's braces - happy with the work but it's very time consuming! If you can swing a regular dentist, I'd do it, if only not to spend half your life in the dentist's chair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 02:12 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballervision View Post
Did not know there were people living in Manhattan that do not have dental insurance. (I mean if you're actually poor, there is Medicaid)

Sounds like people have their priorities straight.
You'd better grab onto your chair dearie, because dental insurance especially a very good plan is a rarity for many Americans working or not. Most employer or union sponsored plans cover from very little to a moderate amount which can still leave you paying thousands out of pocket. Medicare IIRC does not offer much if any dental, and Medicaid pays so little it can be difficult to find anyone of quality.

Proof of just how bad the state of dental insurance is in the United States is seen by the thousands that show up for free or reduced cost service offered by those roving free dental clinics. Wherever they sent up their tents/shops there are always more, many more than can be seen. And we're not all talking about the "poor", but middle class and even above that simply just cannot afford dental work.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:58 PM

478 posts, read 773,210 times
Sorry, KK, but I went away for awhile
The $1650-2000+ I quoted for Columbia was for crown only.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:05 PM

478 posts, read 773,210 times
Yeah, my plan also is measley, unless I sign up for one of *their* doctors on a the panel, which can be hit or miss. Plus I don't want just anyone working in my mouth.
Thing that drives me crazy: my dental plan will do *anything* to avoid paying their reimbursements. Not crossing your T's or dotting your i's, etc. Once they *lost* a 200 dollar check for a crown, and I had to beg the dentist's secretaries to send a letter so they could send another one. Often they'll send the reimbursement to the dentist directly, as if they can't trust their own member. One time they sent my payment to my FORMER dentist, nevermind that his name wasn't even on the form I sent.
Sorry to rant on your dime, KK.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:49 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterStereoman View Post
Yeah, my plan also is measley, unless I sign up for one of *their* doctors on a the panel, which can be hit or miss. Plus I don't want just anyone working in my mouth.
Thing that drives me crazy: my dental plan will do *anything* to avoid paying their reimbursements. Not crossing your T's or dotting your i's, etc. Once they *lost* a 200 dollar check for a crown, and I had to beg the dentist's secretaries to send a letter so they could send another one. Often they'll send the reimbursement to the dentist directly, as if they can't trust their own member. One time they sent my payment to my FORMER dentist, nevermind that his name wasn't even on the form I sent.
Sorry to rant on your dime, KK.
Most dental plans offered by employers or even unions are best for prevention (a few cleanings per year, X-rays, etc...) and maybe a bit more. But once you need ongoing or serious treatment such as periodontal, oral surgery, crowns, implants, etc... then all bets are off.

Think some City and State unions have good plans, but not sure.

Problem is you don't want to mess with your mouth. Bad oral care and or failure to get things taken care of can lead to requiring dentures or implants before reaching 50. Lots of persons suffer or ignore periodontal disease for lack of insurance which is not good.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:06 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterStereoman View Post
Sorry, KK, but I went away for awhile
The $1650-2000+ I quoted for Columbia was for crown only.

Well, that's disheartening.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:34 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,844 times
Kefir -
Since you'd be paying out of pocket and have fair number of work you need done. Consider expanding your search to include places outside of NYC. Dental schools in upstate NY, NJ, and PA. Then compare the cost, I wouldn't be surprised if you found cheaper quote and that difference could be greater than transportation.

For example, budget bus services such as megabus start at what 20? bucks to Philly. Even closer to Philly, I think Rutgers dental school is in Newark and there is Path to Newark. I think there is clinic that Rutgers operate in Newark for their dental students to operate. I'd be surprised if amount they charge at Rutgers in Newark is near what say Columbia charges in UWS

Old 05-01-2014, 09:48 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Trouble is that work at schools involve dozens and dozens of visits. To get my implant at NYU it almost felt like the school was my second home.

I read that in Mexico, caps take 4 days. Days 1 and 4 with the dentist, and days 2 and 3 for the labwork. Too bad Mexico is such a schlepp

But I will look into Rutgers pricing. Alas, that would have been a LOT easier when I lived at Newport atop that PATH station.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:39 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,844 times
One thing to note though is that WTC on weekend is suspended for signal upgrade. So if you do get a better price, you can basically only go during weekday via Path. I don't think Newark to Grove runs on weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City