Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:04 AM

900 posts, read 2,368,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljean View Post
I don't know where you guys live at but here in New York if the yellow line is dashed you can overcome a car by passing around it on the left.
That's true and I was about to add a comment since I thought you were trying to use this argument.

First, there was no broken yellow line.

You can't pass on the left in what would be oncoming traffic in residential areas. You'd usually see those yellow broken lines on long stretches of country roads, not within city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 11:12 AM

76 posts, read 344,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
That's true and I was about to add a comment since I thought you were trying to use this argument.

First, there was no broken yellow line.

You can't pass on the left in what would be oncoming traffic in residential areas. You'd usually see those yellow broken lines on long stretches of country roads, not within city limits.
Neither was there a solid line yellow line (for many years)... So my argument is plausible then?

Besides, that everybody is ignoring the point that the officer changed the ticket to a "No Passing on Right."

Old 05-02-2014, 11:12 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,699,320 times
Quote:
there was no solid yellow line
Could it be because the yellow paint was worn? The fact that there now is a solid yellow line certainly suggests that. I'd just pay.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
Could it be because the yellow paint was worn? The fact that there now is a solid yellow line certainly suggests that. I'd just pay.
They had fixed the street a few years ago and never bothered to paint lines. There still does not exist a yellow line dividing the street to this day. Now you understand my argument and agree its plausible right?

Old 05-02-2014, 11:23 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,699,320 times
Quote:
They had fixed the street a few years ago and never bothered to paint lines. There still does not exist a yellow line dividing the street to this day. Now you understand my argument and agree its plausible right?
I'm confused.

About the street:
This is a 2 lane street each lane headed in opposite directions.
There is now solid yellow line.
There are no signs other than the "No Parking on Mondays 9-11am ..."

Is there now a yellow line?

Old 05-02-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
I'm confused.

About the street:
This is a 2 lane street each lane headed in opposite directions.
There is now solid yellow line.
There are no signs other than the "No Parking on Mondays 9-11am ..."

Is there now a yellow line?
OHHHHHH, my mistake lol. I meant to put "NO". No wonder everyone is bashing at me. I'll fix that right now.:

Yeah, I can't edit for some reason...

Old 05-02-2014, 12:49 PM

900 posts, read 2,368,170 times
Quote:
OHHHHHH, my mistake lol. I meant to put "NO". No wonder everyone is bashing at me. I'll fix that right now.:

Yeah, I can't edit for some reason...
It doesn't matter.

Unless the street is marked by signs saying it's a one way street then it's a two way.

Again, staggered lines aren't within residential city limits. Just think if it were permitted. There would be accidents left and right.

Not all streets in the city have double yellow lines either b/c the paint has worn away or the street is too narrow. Just because there is no double yellow line doesn't mean it automatically turns into a staggered yellow line.

You're beating a dead horse. Everyone here has said the same. You will lose this one, but if you are stonch on fighting this then be prepared to pay the high end of the ticket.

At the very least maybe ask if you could get off on a technicality being that the violation was changed, but I doubt it. Could have been just a clerical error.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:15 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,896,329 times
like a month ago I almost got hit by an idiot who crossed the double yellow line while passing a stopped vehicle. it's a dangerous move because you have little to no visibility of what's ahead of you.

if you have time to fight this, knock yourself out, and go ahead. but honestly it doesn't look too good for you.

you saved 20 seconds by making that move, but it's gonna cost you money, points on your DL and possible an increased insurance premium.

was it worth it?

Old 05-02-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
like a month ago I almost got hit by an idiot who crossed the double yellow line while passing a stopped vehicle. it's a dangerous move because you have little to no visibility of what's ahead of you.

if you have time to fight this, knock yourself out, and go ahead. but honestly it doesn't look too good for you.

you saved 20 seconds by making that move, but it's gonna cost you money, points on your DL and possible an increased insurance premium.

was it worth it?
I understand. There weren't however, any indications whether it was a No Passing Zone or not. Furthermore, the ticket now says I'm being charged for "No Passing on Right."

So honestly, putting all opinion aside. Under a court of law, do you honestly believe I have absolutely no chance of winning?

Old 05-02-2014, 02:20 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,241,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Here is something useful...don't waste your time, you will be convicted.

and cops just don't go around pulling random motorists over. There are plenty of fools breaking the law all the time.
I was randomly pulled over for making a left turn in Manhattan and allegedly coming within "one foot" of a pedestrian in the crosswalk. It was total BS, the cop was a jerk, and was making his quota. I am 100% certain of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: