Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 04:01 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
One change I've noticed recently are more Polish. Likely getting priced out of Greenpoint.
There's a lot more Polish now. Back during my high school days [2003 to 2007] all the Polish pretty much lived in Maspeth or East Ridgewood, and where I live was pretty much just Italians and Germans. Now you can find Polish all the way up to Woodhaven Blvd.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:20 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,959,968 times
I probably would, but I rarely if ever have cause to be in Queens nowadays. I was there a few months back for an event which will likely be my last time for awhile. Most of my time is speny in Manhattan or Brooklyn.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:24 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I probably would, but I rarely if ever have cause to be in Queens nowadays. I was there a few months back for an event which will likely be my last time for awhile. Most of my time is speny in Manhattan or Brooklyn.
Don't worry, you're not missing much.

I was in Brooklyn all this week and I'm going home in a few, not really looking forward to it.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:15 PM

251 posts, read 341,294 times
most of the gentrification talk these days is BS. Frankly, even Williamsburg isn't gentrifying that much anymore. I lived on the south side over 10 years ago, I went back recently and did some apartment hunting. Obviously the realtor was raving about how things had changed. Honestly, I didn't think it changed that much. Apart from a few desolate modern buildings along the water, it's really just a 3 block radius around the bedford L train that fits the Wiliamsburg stereotype. The rest is just normal brooklyn.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:27 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytop View Post
most of the gentrification talk these days is BS. Frankly, even Williamsburg isn't gentrifying that much anymore. I lived on the south side over 10 years ago, I went back recently and did some apartment hunting. Obviously the realtor was raving about how things had changed. Honestly, I didn't think it changed that much. Apart from a few desolate modern buildings along the water, it's really just a 3 block radius around the bedford L train that fits the Wiliamsburg stereotype. The rest is just normal brooklyn.
Did you walk up and down metro and grand? Did you not notice all the new stores? What about all the people walking around like there in Manhattan?

Old 09-10-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
But I think you like space, which your not really going to find in Glendale. Most houses are attached.

Also if you need to go to Queens, chances are it won't be around Glendale. If its the ghetto parts of Brooklyn you have to go to such as Bushwick or ENY, Glendale is actually closer to there than the rest of Queens. Glendale (along with Ridgewood) is probably one of the most old school NY nabes out there. If you happen to have to be in one of those Brooklyn nabes, I'd recommend coming around here for some grub.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:41 PM

251 posts, read 341,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Did you walk up and down metro and grand? Did you not notice all the new stores? What about all the people walking around like there in Manhattan?
not trying to wind you up but frankly I don't know what you're talking about. Metropolitan is still the same moderately crummy street it was 10 years back. Sure ok there might be a few new stores but no major change has taken place IMO.

I am not saying any of this is bad, I like Brooklyn the way it is, I don't think it needs white people to come and make it cool. But let's not pretend Williamsburg is the new Greenwich Village.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
not trying to wind you up but frankly I don't know what you're talking about. Metropolitan is still the same moderately crummy street it was 10 years back. Sure ok there might be a few new stores but no major change has taken place IMO.

I am not saying any of this is bad, I like Brooklyn the way it is, I don't think it needs white people to come and make it cool. But let's not pretend Williamsburg is the new Greenwich Village.
North of Grand was always for the most part white, so we can kill that topic right away. Whats Greenwich Village? Is it cool?

Old 09-10-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
There's a lot more Polish now. Back during my high school days [2003 to 2007] all the Polish pretty much lived in Maspeth or East Ridgewood, and where I live was pretty much just Italians and Germans. Now you can find Polish all the way up to Woodhaven Blvd.
When I grew up in Glendale the block was pretty much straight up German. Some people still speaking Deutsch. This was in the '80s. Italians floated around, but didn't really start moving in at large numbers until the '90s.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:52 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:

It's really a shame that people are so delusional they have to come on City Data to lie. As if lying will somehow prevent gentrification. Williamsburg is at times more expensive than Yorkville (East of the Upper East Side). Get of the L train at Bedford or at Lorimer and you'll see plenty of luxury housing units that are occupied as well as others that are finishing construction. Whole Foods will soon open in Williamsburg, and a number of other name brand stores are already there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City