Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 07:01 PM

286 posts, read 352,988 times

Advertisements

There's also Hope Gardens on Wilson ave. in the eastern part of Bushwick, those are a couple of blocks worth.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:09 AM

87 posts, read 104,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
I have been reading for quite some time about gentrification blah blah.... but honestly when I explore around Bedstuy, bushwick, LES and parts that are "done" according to many. its still very gritty.

I mean im sure it was way worse in the 80-90's but its still pretty hood. Even in Bushwick in the " yuppy" part it didn't seem nice to me at all. Vey industrial and then it turns to the hood.

I saw maybe 2-3 white people walking and REALLY standing out..not really socializing with the local bushwick people. Are they OK with just being able to afford the rent even though they seemingly don't blend in the with the locals. I mean the ones I saw seemed outright uncomfortable .

Is it due to projects having a heavy presence in this area ??? To be honest I don't see what the fuss is about, neither do I see why people are paying sooo much to live in these areas which arent visually appealing .These areas are still ghetto.

Can anyone enlighten me ?
Well I wish more people had your mentality, then people whould stay out and the prices would remain decent.

Anyhow, I wouldn't consider any of these areas as DONE as far as gentrication is concerned. The LES is probably the furthest along, due to the fact it is in Manhattan. I was there this past weekend and saw almost nothing but college kids, yuppies walking about. I hardly call it 'hood even though it still has a gritty appearance. I would say that Bed-Stuy/Bushwick are probably only 30% there. Bed-Stuy is huge and the gentrification seems to occur in patches. Of course the areas experiencing the most gentrification are closest to the trains- the A,C trains in the south and the J,M trains along Broadway to the north. If you walk along the blocks dead smack in the middle of Bed-Stuy: Greene, Lexington, Kosciusko and Quincy, you see very little gentrfication- it's a long walk to the subway for most and there is nothing but bodegas and chinese spots- little to draw the hipster crowd.

As far as housing stock- Bushwick never did have the most incredible housing stock to begin with, but Bed-Stuy is in Brooklyn's "Brownstone Belt" and some blocks are absolutely gorgeous. I urge you to walk along Stuyvesant Avenue or blocks like Decatur, McDonough, Macon and Halsey - you will see almost no "hood" element to them. Unless you assume the natives are hood, which is another problem you need to discuss with someone.

I will agree that the pricing is OUTRAGEOUS I walked past a new building that has 4 bedrooms going for $5,500. I pay $1,100 for a one-bedroom, so there a people paying almost what I pay for a whole apartment, to live with 4 other people in the 'hood. THAT I don't understand.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-11-2014 at 08:07 PM..

Old 09-08-2014, 10:50 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
I was in Les last week on Delancey Avenue. That whole stretched looked very ghetto to me especially when going towards the Williamsburg bridge. Also plenty of hood people congregate at burger King and McDonald's which are located on Delancey. Even though I so see plenty of Transplants in the area, Les still has a strong number of typical ethnic natives.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:56 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
I have been reading for quite some time about gentrification blah blah.... but honestly when I explore around Bedstuy, bushwick, LES and parts that are "done" according to many. its still very gritty.

I mean im sure it was way worse in the 80-90's but its still pretty hood. Even in Bushwick in the " yuppy" part it didn't seem nice to me at all. Vey industrial and then it turns to the hood.

I saw maybe 2-3 white people walking and REALLY standing out..not really socializing with the local bushwick people. Are they OK with just being able to afford the rent even though they seemingly don't blend in the with the locals. I mean the ones I saw seemed outright uncomfortable .

Is it due to projects having a heavy presence in this area ??? To be honest I don't see what the fuss is about, neither do I see why people are paying sooo much to live in these areas which arent visually appealing .These areas are still ghetto.

Can anyone enlighten me ?
A lot of transplants actually like the aesthetic grittyness. They get to claim street cred without actually living it. Truth is in nyc you are never too far from a fugly unattractive area. NYC aesthetics are overrated by outsiders. There is a reason this city looks its best at night.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:40 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I was in Les last week on Delancey Avenue. That whole stretched looked very ghetto to me especially when going towards the Williamsburg bridge. Also plenty of hood people congregate at burger King and McDonald's which are located on Delancey. Even though I so see plenty of Transplants in the area, Les still has a strong number of typical ethnic natives.
The McDonald's you speak of is one of the worst places in that entire neighborhood, and not because of the food! Stay away from that place. Past the bridge, on the north side, there's just projects and Mazyrk Towers (not much better).

Old 09-08-2014, 07:24 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The McDonald's you speak of is one of the worst places in that entire neighborhood, and not because of the food! Stay away from that place. Past the bridge, on the north side, there's just projects and Mazyrk Towers (not much better).
Yes. The nicest parts of the LES are areas like around Houston and 2nd Avenue. That area is all condos, Whole Foods, and nice restaurants with some older housing still left. The LES housing projects are all on the East River.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:52 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
There are also two projects well away from the river on Broome and Essex.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:43 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
You judging the whole les because of delancey street lol

Old 09-09-2014, 01:11 AM

302 posts, read 308,265 times
The streets of Bed-Stuy are not dangerous and neither are parts of Crown Heights and Bushwick. If it was that dangerous you wouldn't have new immigrants moving to these neighborhoods. The thing about NYC is that many of the maintenance in these neighborhoods are not well adept or equipped to be quality standard. As for the kids running about and the congregating on the corner, that's common among many Latino and Black youth, but trust me that's even drying up compared to years ago. You go to any ethnic neighborhood like Brighton Beach with Ukranians,Harlem with its Aframs,and Corona with its Ecuadorians and Colombians you are going to hear them being loud and unruly,that's how New Yorkers are. No matter how much gentrification,revamp,and appraisals its still not going to fit the standard hipster's enjoyment,IMO.

There are many spots in different cities that have uglier spots than what is now Stuy Heights(Bed Stuy) and SoBro(South Bronx). lol

Old 09-09-2014, 08:23 AM

87 posts, read 104,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
The streets of Bed-Stuy are not dangerous and neither are parts of Crown Heights and Bushwick. If it was that dangerous you wouldn't have new immigrants moving to these neighborhoods. The thing about NYC is that many of the maintenance in these neighborhoods are not well adept or equipped to be quality standard. As for the kids running about and the congregating on the corner, that's common among many Latino and Black youth, but trust me that's even drying up compared to years ago. You go to any ethnic neighborhood like Brighton Beach with Ukranians,Harlem with its Aframs,and Corona with its Ecuadorians and Colombians you are going to hear them being loud and unruly,that's how New Yorkers are. No matter how much gentrification,revamp,and appraisals its still not going to fit the standard hipster's enjoyment,IMO.

There are many spots in different cities that have uglier spots than what is now Stuy Heights(Bed Stuy) and SoBro(South Bronx). lol
You can even say in NYC now - East New York is still a rather depressing place. You are absolutely right about hipster's standards, and I think THAT (besides prices going up to ridiculous levels) is what bothers me about gentrification. They move into a minority neighborhood, where a lot of people know each other and thus will do things like sit on stoops, congregate on corners and have block parties in the summer, and expect them to just STOP those activities because they have settled into the neighborhood.

There are these guys around my age (late 20's) who sit on the stoop of the brownstone next to mine and talk - a bit loud. Doesn't bother me, but apparently it bothers the newcomers on the other side the building the guys sit outside of. One night I hear them talking, and a police car shows up asking them to disperse. NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. This is not a suburb in the midwest, this is NEW YORK CITY and it shouldn't be made into a suburb. What these hipsters don't get is that the very "culture" and "diversity" they moved here to experience will be gone, because they are pushing it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City