Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 04:28 PM

749 posts, read 921,197 times

Advertisements

The great restaurant Junior's known across the world for its cheesecake, has been offered $45 million to vacate the premises by developers, and he turned it down.....citing that " he loves the place so much, and you do not sell what you love."

Would you have taken the money and run........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 04:32 PM

31,917 posts, read 26,999,286 times
It is not just that cut and dry. See: Weird, Junior's Cheesecake In Brooklyn Won't Be Replaced With Luxury Condos: Gothamist

What the current owner seems to want and what put the kibosh on previous offers including the aforementioned forty-five million was a right for Junior's to remain or return to the space. At some point everyone has their price.....

Old 09-09-2014, 04:41 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
The great restaurant Junior's known across the world for its cheesecake, has been offered $45 million to vacate the premises by developers, and he turned it down.....citing that " he loves the place so much, and you do not sell what you love."

Would you have taken the money and run........
Fool.The developers should just wait a few more years and Junior's will be gone the way of Mama Leone's anyway.The place has been coasting downhill for years already and people are waking up to it.They won't have to pay him anything.The place is on auto pilot to self destruct.

Last edited by bluedog2; 09-09-2014 at 05:17 PM..

Old 09-09-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Fool.The developers should just wait a few more years and Junior's will be gone the way of Mama Leone's anyway.The place has been coasting downhill for years already and people are waking up to it.They won't have to pay him anything.The pace is on auto pilot to self destruct.
Yes, that rodent munching on cheesecake in the window kind of killed whatever feeling one had left for Junior's on de Kalb. Their "other" locations never thrilled me at all period.

Think as you say the place is running on fumes of bygone days. IMHO their food isn't what it once was but prices aren't going down either.

When one has a fries/burgher craving just walk down to BBQ's on Third Avenue. Again yeah I know but their drinks are pretty good which makes up for other things wanting. As for cheesecake simply make it one's self and it is streets ahead of Junior's.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:11 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
I personally would hate to see Junior's go. That's not to say I would turn down 45 fat stacks.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:20 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I personally would hate to see Junior's go. That's not to say I would turn down 45 fat stacks.
Why ? It has already gone.Better to say it was sad to see it go even though it is technically still there. Same for Carnegie Deli and many other NY "institutions" that have become nothing more than tourist traps coasting downhill on nostalgia.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:27 PM

Mark my words, current owner is just playing games. He will sell and for good money when someone makes him an offer that gives what he wishes. Again this will likely be some sort of new space in the same location at *very* favorable terms.

All over NYC persons sitting on property that has been in their families for generations are selling up. Mr. Rosen (is that the name?) had better get the money while the getting is good. New York City/Brooklyn real estate market is not going to be red hot forever. Nor is it wise to take for granted that all this foreign money will continue to poor into "safe" NYC real estate investments.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:37 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Foods garbage anyway. Its mass produced out of a factory in Maspeth. The cheesecake is just aight. Anyone who thinks its the best never had real cheesecake. Sell.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Foods garbage anyway. Its mass produced out of a factory in Maspeth. The cheesecake is just aight. Anyone who thinks its the best never had real cheesecake.
Someone brought a Junior's cheesecake to a family event a year or so ago, it was nasty IMHO, not at all what one remembers. Now the Cheesecake factory is another matter. They need to open one of those in Manhattan as one tires of having to drive to NJ. *LOL*

Old 09-09-2014, 05:42 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,404,057 times
I would hate to see it go. I've been there recently and the food is still pretty good. The free corn bread is amazing and they make a better pastrami or corned beef sandwich than most deli's I've been too. Also I just get a sense of what Brooklyn was like back in the hey day when I am there. The place has character, including the not so nice bathrooms upstairs. What would be better to see when you are going down Dekalb Ave, a new condo complex or the world famous Juniors Restaurant?

The whole downtown Brooklyn has gone a complete transformation from the 80's. Not that it is a bad thing but there are certain places that I believe should be landmarks. And if the place is still staying afloat and is still making money I hope they never close it down. I've seen so many beloved places come and go. It would be sad to see Juniors go. To me it would be a lot more sad to go past the site of Juniors and say "That's where it was" than "that's where it is, but some people say that it's not as good as it used to be".

Last edited by deeken; 09-09-2014 at 05:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City