Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 02:40 PM

5 posts, read 11,021 times

Advertisements

don't open the door, simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 02:47 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv224 View Post
Thanks everyone for their comments!

I think often what my landlord does is if there is a 2BR available he shows a 1BR (my apt) as well to the potential tenants just so they know the layout. I couldn't find a listing for the building for sale (he owns the whole building) so I don't think he is selling the building.

I'm just going to continue to ignore him if he comes around again or be firmer about not showing my apartment without any notice whatsoever. Luckily he doesn't have the keys to the new lock so I don't have to worry about him entering my apt.
You do realize that in most places you are not allowed to add a lock to a rental without the landlord's permission? Read your lease carefully concerning this since you would be giving him the right to evict you for violating the terms of your lease.

Having said that, he needs to comply with the terms of the lease as well. What does it say in your lease about showing the apartment? Most places in the country require at least 24 hrs notice to be given to the tenant before showing a unit if the place is for rent, sale, etc.

So many tenant questions can be answered by just telling them to read the lease they signed!!!!

Old 05-05-2014, 07:27 AM

503 posts, read 899,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv224 View Post
I'm not moving out of my apartment and my lease is not up. Ive been in the same apartment for a few years. Every now and then, my landlord shows up at my door, unannounced, to show potential new tenants my apartment, even though someone else in the building is moving out.

Sometimes I oblige but a lot of times he happens to show up when my apartment is a mess and I state this and that it is not a good time. But he keeps pushing for me to show the apartment and that it would be a few minutes.

One time I was napping and not feeling well and he was knocking on my door. I was in a daze and ignored the knocks. Then I heard keys jangling and he tried to open my door. I immediately went to the door and told him I can't show my apartment and slammed the door in his face.

I've since put an extra lock on my door, to which he doesn't have keys. For the most part, this has fixed the problem. However, his co-worker showed up unannounced the other day to show my apartment again.

I don't understand it. If I am not moving, why is my apartment the "model apartment?" Its usually a mess most of the times he shows up so I am not sure why he keeps doing it. Does he have a right to do this? Or do i have the right to refuse?
Illegal on your part.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:54 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
No judge will ever convict you of not giving a nosy landlord a key. No judge will evict you for not giving a nosy landlord a key. No judge will ever fine you for not giving the landlord a key.

Tenants know this, sane landlords know this.

In 7 apartments I have NEVER given my landlord or my managing agent a copy of the key to my second lock. I do realize that if they need to break in because of an emergency, the costs are on me but that is a risk I am willing to take.

We have a staff of 33 people. The odds of having 33 honest people are vanishingly small.

Same goes for the mailbox key, although any 4 year old can break into a mailbox.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:18 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
your landlord is being a big jerk.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,092 times
I'm sorry to piggy-back on this old thread (and also sorry to make this my first post; I'm a longtime lurker but first time poster), but my search led me here and I'd like to gather some opinions on the subject. I am moving out of my apartment at the end of the month, and have been subject to what seems like endless visits from the landlord throughout the course of workdays. Being that I work from home, these disruptions are becoming a nuisance.

While my, and I'm sure most, leases indicate that the landlord has the right to enter the apartment to show it to a prospective tenant, it would seem as though the known consensus is that there is some requirement of notice being given before a landlord knocks on the door with a stranger (as I would consider it, knocking on the door and then waiting 5 minutes to enter does not constitute giving "notice" that he will be visiting).

I'd be interested in gathering opinions of how anyone would handle situations where 2-4 visits a day occur, out of the blue, without any notice. I've spoken to my landlord and requested that he provide notice (even a phone call or text message), to which he said he would "try" but "is not always able to." As much as I find this to be a short-term problem, two more weeks of 2-4 visits per day is liable to drive me mad.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-13-2015, 10:50 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Tell him you require X amount of time for notice (whatever you think is reasonable -- like one hour?) and then if he doesn't provide it, use your deadbolt/chain so that he can't enter.

Or answer the door naked, and tell him you didn't have enough time to get dressed.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:15 PM

237 posts, read 329,968 times
set up a hidden camera and catch him in the act. Your LL clearly feels he can come and go from your place regardless of the law.

Also check to see if you're missing any small items..

Old 03-13-2015, 09:42 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
Smaller landlords do this all the time. Bigger management companies tend to have better dealings with show times.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:13 AM

544 posts, read 1,238,126 times
it might be that your apartment is the same layout as the other one? ll does need to give 24 hr notice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: