Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:15 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
I just realized Ballervision was being sarcastic. It's so hard to tell on this forum sometimes.
The thought crossed my mind but in this case it was impossible to tell, short of going to read his posting history, which I wasn't willing to waste time doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 10:05 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,497 times
If voter ID laws are racist as so many like to claim.......so is affordable housing and a progressive tax system.

But anyways.....this 200k affordable housing program.....where exactly is nyc going to put that additional half million people? The infrastructure in this city simply will not support it. This morning, I had to wait for three 6 trains to go through Brooklyn bridge before being able to get on, and it was packed to the level that you would expect to see in places like India. I don't understand the obsession with packing as many add'l people into this city as possible, except for more democrat votes.

And once again, it will be the people that have busted their ass to do well for themselves and their family and are far from rich. The families making $150k $200k. Higher taxes, no housing breaks. These are the people who will leave nyc, and it's the bulk of the tax base.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:15 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,462 times
De blasio is a disaster just like Obama...the chicken will come home to roost soon.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:03 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,838 times
A typical government housing flat in Singapore from the resale market is about $300K for a 4 rm flat/apartment

Old 05-06-2014, 05:30 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballervision View Post
How would low wage workers afford to live in Manhattan? Are you suggesting that they commute 45 minutes in each direction from somewhere with lower housing costs?
Yes!

Old 05-06-2014, 05:39 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,759 times
"Affordable Housing" is code word for low income housing. The demographic of tenants that live in "affordable housing" are the Welfare, Section 8, SSI and disability types. It's like a bag full of dysfunctional people. And while I won't say ALL Section 8, Welfare tenants are bad, a huge chunk of them are and subscribe to that "hood" culture as well as have a lower standard of living. So if you're the type that wants to preserve and improve your neighborhood, you should be LIVID if the City wants to building "affordable housing" in your neighborhood as that means the riff-raff demographic will follow.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:02 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
it's like section 8 for the upper middle class only i think,
because the classes below them can't afford it anyway.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:47 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Rent Guidelines Board Vote Could Indicate Swing Toward Renters - NY1

Old 05-06-2014, 10:45 AM

158 posts, read 303,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
"Affordable Housing" is code word for low income housing. The demographic of tenants that live in "affordable housing" are the Welfare, Section 8, SSI and disability types. It's like a bag full of dysfunctional people. And while I won't say ALL Section 8, Welfare tenants are bad, a huge chunk of them are and subscribe to that "hood" culture as well as have a lower standard of living. So if you're the type that wants to preserve and improve your neighborhood, you should be LIVID if the City wants to building "affordable housing" in your neighborhood as that means the riff-raff demographic will follow.
Not true.

It is very difficult to get into an affordable unit. First you have to beat the odds and get randomly chosen, then you have to go through a detailed examination of your financial history-credit score, tax returns, bank statements, w2s, pay stubs, rent checks, lease, and more. You also go through a criminal background check. So by the time someone is approved you have a better tenant than a market rate renter.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:24 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
If voter ID laws are racist as so many like to claim.......so is affordable housing and a progressive tax system.

But anyways.....this 200k affordable housing program.....where exactly is nyc going to put that additional half million people? The infrastructure in this city simply will not support it. This morning, I had to wait for three 6 trains to go through Brooklyn bridge before being able to get on, and it was packed to the level that you would expect to see in places like India. I don't understand the obsession with packing as many add'l people into this city as possible, except for more democrat votes.

And once again, it will be the people that have busted their ass to do well for themselves and their family and are far from rich. The families making $150k $200k. Higher taxes, no housing breaks. These are the people who will leave nyc, and it's the bulk of the tax base.
NYC can put up more apartments in empty industrial spalce (this is currently being done in the West Side of Manhattan). There's still more space that can be converted in East River neighborhoods (including LIC). And there's plenty of space in the South Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: