Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:40 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
How is he still on the streets? 8 prior arrests??? It's crazy to me. And he walked out of court yesterday too! If that were me or you, we would be in the hole never to be heard from again. SMH!

He walked out of jail because they have to see first if the cat sustained injuries. If it did, he'll be charged with a felony. Maybe on the outside the cat appears fine but it could have sustained internal injuries. I know someone whose dog was kicked. By just looking at the dog you couldn't tell there was anything wrong with it until a day or so later when the dog was throwing up blood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 09:44 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
I guess...but with that kind of history, when does the court say enough is enough. I work in law, I shouldn't be too surprised, but I am.
New York's 'Three Strikes Law' Ruled Unconstitutional - Manhattan - DNAinfo.com New York

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-07-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Hopefully the judge feels the same way. Regardless of your personal heartfelt emotion, it is up to the courts to decide his fate. I hope he gets whatever maximum sentence the laws allow, but I am also interested to see how the law is interpreted. If the pet belonged to somebody it would be an open and shut case, but I am curious to see what defense his lawyer has.

It doesn't matter if the cat was someones pet or not. Animal cruely isn't limited to whether or not an animal is someones pet. If the cat was attacking him for no reason and he had to defend himself then that would be a different story. In this case, he LURED the cat to him and the cat is friendly (as mentioned in the articles)--he has no defense.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:45 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
One of the creep's arrests was for robbery at knifepoint. I would think that would be a felony. Probably never went to trial. Maybe the creep threatened the witnesses. I hope he gets the two year max for animal cruelty. It would be a good thing to get this sadistic sociopath off the streets for a while.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
It doesn't matter if the cat was someones pet or not. Animal cruely isn't limited to whether or not an animal is someones pet. If the cat was attacking him for no reason and he had to defend himself then that would be a different story. In this case, he LURED the cat to him and the cat is friendly (as mentioned in the articles)--he has no defense.
I was referring to the statute you posted earlier...are you an attorney? If so could you break down the definition of what NYS defines as a "companion animal?"

Old 05-07-2014, 09:48 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
they really need to cage that animal this time. And of course, I'm not refering to the cat.

I also would like to see the other unseen animals (accomplices) prosecuted as well.
they partook in animal cruelty by encouraging and celebrating this type of behavior.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123
A person is guilty of aggravated cruelty to animals when, with no justifiable purpose, he or she intentionally kills or intentionally causes serious physical injury to a companion animal
That is what I want to know - what the definition of a companion animal is. I want to know if the defendant's lawyer has any shot in hell of seeing the kid walk.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:53 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Quote:
That is what I want to know - what the definition of a companion animal is. I want to know if the defendant's lawyer has any shot in hell of seeing the kid walk.
NOT an attorney, just a lowly paralegal, but I think a companion animal is one that is used to assist someone, i.e., a seeing eye dog....

Old 05-07-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I was referring to the statute you posted earlier...are you an attorney? If so could you break down the definition of what NYS defines as a "companion animal?"
Why do you keep nit-picking with me? I don't need to be an attorney to know that animal cruelty applies to ALL animals. Nor do I need to be an attorney to know what defines a "companion animal". Seems to me you want this punk to walk free.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:58 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
NOT an attorney, just a lowly paralegal, but I think a companion animal is one that is used to assist someone, i.e., a seeing eye dog....
Then that would distinguish it from a house pet. Not to mention a stray. I'd like to see this creep get the max but it might not be in the cards. Probably get some community service and some "counselling" or some such horse****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: