Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2014, 05:14 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Nobody wants decent average guy in this city. Just the other day at work someone was dating a married guy who graduated from an ivy league school. I over heard that she had to to go to a clinic to find out if if she is pregnant for this guy. Even though this guy is married she really likes him. These Mr. Big shot guys can have any woman however it doesn't translate into something longterm.
I don't know...I did. My BF wasn't a six figure investment banker....Maybe that's why I don't fit in here in NYC, I just don't understand the mentality. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 06:29 AM

205 posts, read 507,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I would not consider someone like that a failure at all. Not right for me, but definitely no loser in life. He just will max out at that number... and that is not hot to all of us, a guy on a board of education claiming that as his great accomplishment. For someone looking to start a humble family in Anytown, U.S.A. this is basically the American Dream. In NYC, it's more like barely surviving. So have a frame of reference please.
Hold on one sec.

Quote:
It is almost guaranteed you at some point will live with crazy people upon relocating here unless you are well-off and/or well-connected. I dealt with some roommates that were rude, inconsiderate, ignorant and just completely batsh*t crazy. I didn't really have a choice. It was either that or stay back home and stagnate. Eventually I was able to get my own place. Let me tell you that can be just as bad, if it's not a place you'd ideally want to live. It takes a very long time here to find a good living situation and that is typical unless you are one of the Golden People. I wasn't.

I hated my solo apartment so much I actually did the unthinkable and broke the lease early. I basically ditched the Bronx solo for MANHATTAN again with a ROOMMATE.

But until you can afford 3K a month for rent you may just want to keep that roommate thing going, but not where you have your name on the primary lease.
You can't even afford your own one bedroom in the city. LOL. Get the hell outta' here with that nonsense.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback1983 View Post
Hold on one sec.

You can't even afford your own one bedroom in the city. LOL. Get the hell outta' here with that nonsense.
Guess she's waiting for Mr. Right to be able to afford it for her? I

Old 05-19-2014, 08:14 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
All I know is that hundreds of thousands of young women are graduating college this month and most do not have jobs lined up and will probably move to big cities like Nyc for opportunity and for a hubby that's if they can find one.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 05-19-2014 at 08:27 AM..

Old 05-19-2014, 08:20 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieNYC212 View Post
I have asked myself a million times, why is it so difficult to meet Mr. Right in NYC? What am I doing wrong? I don't think that I'm asking for too much, typically I look for guys that have a similar background as myself. I am interested in finding a nice guy who is loving, caring, spiritually inclined, family oriented, ambitious, and professional.

Perhaps it's my age that is working against me. I'm 36! Is it too late for me to meet the right guy, get married and have a family? Should I pack my bags and head for Texas or is it still possible to find love and committment in NYC?
Well it's hard to meet someone who dings off all of those things you mentioned. It just is. And the ones who ding off all of those are taken for the most part or were married and might not want to deal with being in serious relationships anymore. You are far from the only woman in this position though. Don't beat yourself up too much now...

A lot of it isn't your fault though. This city is not family friendly, so many people over time do not make that a priority.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:22 AM

I have also noticed...rich marries rich. Most of the time. They just hang in the same circles and pair off. Noticed it with people I went to school with and people I worked with as well.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I would not consider someone like that a failure at all. Not right for me, but definitely no loser in life. He just will max out at that number... and that is not hot to all of us, a guy on a board of education claiming that as his great accomplishment. For someone looking to start a humble family in Anytown, U.S.A. this is basically the American Dream. In NYC, it's more like barely surviving. So have a frame of reference please.
Lol, this is not a good look for you. But hey do you.

You can live a very comfortable lifestyle at that salary, yes even here in NYC.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhit04 View Post
try speed dating, if the right person, it just clicks, if not its not meant to be
Speed dating is terrible. A big problem with stuff like this and online dating is that it reinforces many of the quick judgments that lead to people being single for long periods of time.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:01 AM

47 posts, read 68,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
All I know is that hundreds of thousands of young women are graduating college this month and most do not have jobs lined up and will probably move to big cities like Nyc for opportunity and for a hubby that's if they can find one.
haha so true homie

Old 05-19-2014, 09:12 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Speed dating is terrible. A big problem with stuff like this and online dating is that it reinforces many of the quick judgments that lead to people being single for long periods of time.
Speed dating is like a job interview. It's either if she finds you physically attractive or have a lot of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City