Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2014, 01:55 PM

41 posts, read 190,803 times

Advertisements

I desperately need a pair of dress pants made. I have some dress shirts that fit very nicely and a suit jacket that just needs very minor alterations. But my suit pants are completely off and I don't think any amount of alteration will fix it...

As a college student, I'm not looking for something fancy. I'm very skinny, so it's extremely hard to find any pants that actually fit me and I end up even having to get jeans, etc. altered. So I just need the fit to be right.

Any recommendations for the Brooklyn or Queens area? Wouldn't mind extending to Manhattan either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 03:30 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times
Funny. I just came back from a tailor in Queens to fix a tear in the crotch of these jeans, that I was evidently bulging out of, that I love but they don't make exactly anymore. Lady is charging $35 just to sew them on the inside and to fix another tear that is beginning. So in conclusion, don't go to her...

Old 05-10-2014, 05:17 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I would try some of the local dry cleaners in your area as sometimes there are tailors working on the premises.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:22 AM

10 posts, read 28,671 times
Have you tried yelp? I don't mean that as condescending, it just might help you out a bit. Then you call and ask them what the price is.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:14 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
It really isn't worth the expense anymore. It costs a fortune.

I was always very tall and thin but muscular and broad shouldered. So every suit I bought in a 44 Long came with pants made for an obese man, usually a size 38.
They could take in the waist and do some messy work on the ass, but I'd still wind up with a wide hipped mess and a fly zipper that reached to my knees and thighs that I could fit a watermelon into.
No tailor could do a tolerable job.

When they came out with suit separates, I shouted HOSANNA.
But now that I am long retired, it is blue jeans or shorts depending on the season...last suit was tossed out several years ago.

JDong,
I recommend you forget the idea of tailoring and just find a brand of clothing cut the way you need it. Use clothes for teens if necessary.

If you have a $ JILLION$, you could have your pants and suits made professionally in the U.S.A. but the prices are appalling. They used to do it in Hong Kong (by mail) at a fair price, but "them days is done."

Have you tried separates? Most department stores carry them now. The STAFFORD line at Penney's is pretty decent stuff...of course, not Armani. Have a look.

p.s. You'll never match your suit jacket so either wear it as a sports coat or toss it in the garbage.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:00 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Isn't it cheaper to have pants altered, instead of custom-made.

Anyway, here.

The best tailors in NYC | Shopping | reviews, guides, things to do, film - Time Out New York

Old 05-12-2014, 10:05 AM

424 posts, read 593,744 times
Go to a cleaners and get it done there. Most cleaners in crown heights and bed stuy aren't very expensive if you look around. I just got a ripped crotch stitched up for $6 last week.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:32 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Isn't it cheaper to have pants altered, instead of custom-made.

Anyway, here.

The best tailors in NYC | Shopping | reviews, guides, things to do, film - Time Out New York
Nobody does a tolerable job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City