Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 04:39 PM

4 posts, read 6,606 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for responding. That's just it, the landlord owned the house, (by the way we were childhood friends "family" as they put it.) We came to an agreement about paying the rent at whatever point in the month as long as it got paid. It was understood that I was collecting unemployment benefits and still trying to find employment. I lived there without a lease for 10 years and then when I needed a lease to show for the purpose of trying to get resources they then used the lease and told me they were not renewing.

I wasn't trying to get over or not trying to pay the rent. The judge asked me why after 10 yrs. All I could think of is that they wanted to raise the rent and I couldn't afford it any more.

Since then I have rented twice and was told by the property managers that my record reflects zero (0) dollars.

Anyway, thank you all for your responses. 2008 to 2010 was the worst time of my life. Lost my dad, three months later my job, three months later lost my mother, my dog passed, and then my apartment, my so called friends/family. Whew!

I lost a job that I thought I was going to retire from. I am now 60 and still trying to recoup.

Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 11:21 PM

31,657 posts, read 26,531,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana118 View Post
Thanks everyone for responding. That's just it, the landlord owned the house, (by the way we were childhood friends "family" as they put it.) We came to an agreement about paying the rent at whatever point in the month as long as it got paid. It was understood that I was collecting unemployment benefits and still trying to find employment. I lived there without a lease for 10 years and then when I needed a lease to show for the purpose of trying to get resources they then used the lease and told me they were not renewing.

I wasn't trying to get over or not trying to pay the rent. The judge asked me why after 10 yrs. All I could think of is that they wanted to raise the rent and I couldn't afford it any more.

Since then I have rented twice and was told by the property managers that my record reflects zero (0) dollars.

Anyway, thank you all for your responses. 2008 to 2010 was the worst time of my life. Lost my dad, three months later my job, three months later lost my mother, my dog passed, and then my apartment, my so called friends/family. Whew!

I lost a job that I thought I was going to retire from. I am now 60 and still trying to recoup.

Thanks for sharing.
No worries and best of luck in future. Remember it's not where you have been but where you are going that really counts. Sometimes life knocks us down; all you can do then is get up, dust yourself off and keep on keeping on. *LOL*

Your previous LL may not have wanted to issue a formal lease perhaps because he was not reporting the rent income for tax purposes. In such situations when the tenant suddenly requests something in writing it can throw up warning flags.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:54 AM

4 posts, read 6,606 times
Thanks BugsyPal! You're right it's where I'm going that counts.

You know I never thought anything about the fact that they (husband/wife) LL's never wanted to give me a lease because as they put it "we were family and were going to live there for 99 years." Once, I requested the lease then their anger and venom was revealed even more. Plus, there were other personal issues that I knew about which I think created more of a wedge between us.

Without having to get into a lot of details I will write this. It's a funny thing about female friends, they want to know and then when you tell them and support them it's all great. Once they make up with the husband, then you're the enemy. Enough said.

I, do have other question, why is it when I did move out and went back to retrieve my mail there was a Marshal's notice in the box? I had already moved out. What was the purpose of that?

I think there were other issues at play here, I got caught up in it and believed that these people were friends/family and were being honest with me. All in the past now.

Thanks Bugsypal for the well wishes and advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City