Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,062 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I have a 3 year old who was recently diagnosed with autism and I am looking into moving to New York City. Can anyone help with information about the nature and quality of publicly-funded services in New York city? Which of the boroughs have the best services for preschoolers?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 11:10 PM

6 posts, read 9,339 times
Here's how public school special education programs work here:

Age 1-3, Early Intervention
Age 3-5, CPSE (Committee for Preschool Special Education)
Age 5+, CPE (Committee for Special Education)

There is a rigorous evaluation process before each step, and I'd say you have to reach out and sign up for evaluations at least 6 months in advance just to be safe.

I have a 2.5 year old who has been diagnosed with PDD-NOS and is quite high functioning. We live in Brooklyn and he has been going to early intervention programs since he was around 20 months old. He has now been accepted for CPSE (Committee for Preschool Special Education) after multiple evaluation sessions and will continue to receive services until the age of 5. As he approaches the age of 4 1/2, he needs to be re-evaluated so they can determine if he will continue to receive services.

Don't know much about other boroughs, but there are several schools here in Brooklyn that provide CPSE services. Some are more focused on classic autism and severe cases, while others provide a more 'integrated' atmosphere with non-ASD children. Overall, everyone we've dealt with, including therapists, psychologists, case coordinators, and evaluators have been very nice and helpful, so we don't have much to complain about, but you have to stay on top of everything since there is a lot of paperwork and government bureaucracy involved and things can get missed. Since your child already 3 years old, you need to act quickly and contact CPSE to arrange for evaluations before the schools fill up. The process takes a couple of months.

I've heard that there are certain areas in NJ and Westchester County that have great programs for children on the ASD spectrum but I have no first hand experience with them.

Good Luck!
K.

UPDATE: Pfff, wrote all this before realizing that the OP had posted this 3 years ago. Leaving the info here anyway just in case it can help others.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:53 AM

633 posts, read 1,165,214 times
Your child will be part of the D75 district of the DOE in NYC. NYC has excellent services! EXCELLENT. If you have any specific questions you can PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: