Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 04:22 AM

23 posts, read 116,471 times

Advertisements

Manhattanite, that was a great post.

I've been looking at UES myself, but having not yet visited on a "house hunting" trip, I wondered if you know of any new construction / renovated buildings in the neighborhood that you might recommend checking out?

I'm looking to buy ASAP with a move between 2009-2010, so early construction is fine.

I also really like loft apartments.

Anything you've seen in passing that seems worth a look?

Thanks! -L
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,583 times
Been in Miami for 3 years and am moving to mahattan next month. From what I've seen South Beach isn't much cheaper than NY. Rent in Miami is 1400 in NY 1700, plus I don't need a car. Comparing the two is somewhat ridiculous. If you can't get enough of the beach or have a boat Miami becomes just like any other place. It does get hot and the sun can become unbearable sometimes. Miami is becoming a place, NY already is. I would go to NY, especially for school. I think it would be a good experience. Miami will just give you a good tan. If you can stand the sun.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:58 AM

3 posts, read 9,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJB99 View Post
Manhattanite, that was a great post.

I've been looking at UES myself, but having not yet visited on a "house hunting" trip, I wondered if you know of any new construction / renovated buildings in the neighborhood that you might recommend checking out?

I'm looking to buy ASAP with a move between 2009-2010, so early construction is fine.

I also really like loft apartments.

Anything you've seen in passing that seems worth a look?

Thanks! -L
LJB99,

Thanks. There are many great real estate websites, but particularly for NYC, I would check the NY Times listings online to get a feel for the availabilities here in whatever price range you're willing to spend. They will tell you the year the building was built and a good description of the space. One caveat with those listings, though, is that some of them are bogus - meaning that they list one address when really the apt might be in a different area. The phoney ones, though, are few and far between, so do check the ads. If it lists a specific address, you can basically trust it. If it's kind of vague, then maybe it's a lost leader. And since you're eager to buy, you might wish to contact a few realtors in advance to make your house hunting faster and more efficient.

The best tip I can give you, though, is to try to keep informed about what's happening in your preferred area. For instance, there might be a Second Avenue subway under construction soon (no one knows for sure, but there was a ground-breaking ceremony this past April so it might actually happen). That's why there's more apts for sale nearby, as construction will take many years to complete. Also, there's been this "threat" of a new garbage hauling site near the East River and 91 Street (?) I think, that is causing some concern with residents (particularly, the potential smell). The local politicians have newsletters that give updates to these events, so do check those out as well.

One last thing to consider. Watch how close you are to a fire station or a hospital. Many new gorgeous highrises have had tenants eager to sell because of the constant sirens all night long. They are saving lives, so they are a very valuable resource, but you might not get any sleep if you're too close. As always, do check out the block before you buy, because even something as seemingly non-consequential as a noisy bar or busy garage can be a deal-breaker in the end.

Best of luck.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:30 AM

23 posts, read 116,471 times
Thanks, I'll certainly heed the advice. Looking forward to the next trip over.

All the best, ~L

Old 12-20-2007, 02:19 PM

19 posts, read 66,513 times
Default This or That

If I absolutely had to choose between the 2 I would choose NYC even though i'm moving out of NY in a year or two. It would be hard to find a decent sized apartment in a decent area in NY on $60,000 I know. I think in the BK you would find the most bang for your buck. Look in these areas of Brooklyn for an apartment (Prospect Heights, Park Slope South, Williamsburg, Kensington, Clinton Hill, Fort Green (by Pratt Institute only)

Old 12-22-2007, 09:20 AM
CNG

28 posts, read 182,423 times
I say New York City, atleast we have seasons. lol

Old 01-03-2008, 10:41 AM

975 posts, read 3,722,256 times
is this supposed to be a joke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanite View Post
Regarding weather, I prefer NYC hands-down, which has, for the most part, spectacular weather - robin-egg blue cloudless skies with a heavenly 5-10 mph breeze and little humidity - that makes outdoor activities a pleasure and just makes you feel good to be alive. .

Old 01-03-2008, 10:47 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,985,199 times
The two are completely incomparable...you might as well be comparing Chicago vs LA..or Boston vs Phoenix. If the 2 are your choices...then you have no idea what you want. Sounds like you need to do some soul searching....

Old 01-03-2008, 11:28 AM

191 posts, read 600,322 times
I lived in Brooklyn and Queens for more than half of my life, also in NJ. I now live in west palm beach, FL which is the south florida metro basically. I would say go to NY, just more to do, more culture, all seasons, better food. Im moving back to NYC in march, and i cant wait! Not that it is so bad out here, but it is more of a personal thing. To me, the beauty here is incredible, the palm trees, greenery, beaches, but that is where it ends. Unless you live in an expensive subdivision, life out here kinda sucks. Drenching heat for like 10 - 11 months of the year, and its hard to make good money out here. NY, easier to make more money, especially with a degree or education... but on the flipside of that, the competition in NY is ridiculous.. everybody and their mother wants to be a part of the NY experience and live it. Foriegners are buying up real estate like hot cakes, and alot of neighborhoods are being gentrified (sometimes good, sometimes bad). Crime is going down though in NY, and crime is going up in Miami.. so it is really a matter of what you like. On 60k, it is do-able to live in brooklyn, queens, the bronx, or staten island. Even in hudson county NJ which is like the 6th borough of NY basically. Manhattan would be hard except for maybe washington heights/inwood, or possibly harlem. Miami, it will be real hard to pull that money out here, but if you do, it will go longer though. Anyway, good luck.. i know i cant wait to get back to NY

Old 01-03-2008, 02:27 PM
UES

19 posts, read 63,402 times
Living on the UES is good advice if you can find a cheap enough apartment which is not easy. However, if money is tight, Hoboken, New Jersey might be worth checking out before moving to an outer borough. Its no further from Manhattan and the income taxes will be lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City