Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:38 PM

235 posts, read 1,085,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
About fudging the numbers, it's hard to hide the dead bodies.
That's true, but if a guy is shot on your block, does it matter if he dies or not? Of course it matters to that guy and in a general sense b/c decent people care about their fellow man, but the fact remains, if a guy is shot on your block, then there were bullets were flying on your block. Just b/c the ER can keep him alive today as opposed to 20 yrs ago doesn't change the fact that bullets were fired on the block where you live, where you are raising your kids.

This guy may not have died, but you have to be concerned that the next time this happens, a stray bullet may have a tragic impact on your family. And if you think the NYPD is tracking Shots Fired like they do dead bodies, then you are very wrong. At the end of the day, the murder rate is NOT the be all and end all of gauging overall safety.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:58 PM

216 posts, read 992,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
Need to get the Fordum Baldies back, in the late 50's - 60's no "charactors" dare come into that neighborhood. If the Baldies didnt get a the park Duckys would.

That dam Lindsay and Kennedy ruened everything with immigration reform.
Does anybody remember that little candy store with the egg creams around 187th or was it 189th? Was it Piggys?
u talkin about the place "Red" had, around the corner from the old joseph botti funeral home ?

Old 12-14-2007, 09:27 PM

491 posts, read 828,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
u talkin about the place "Red" had, around the corner from the old joseph botti funeral home ?
Yeah thats it !!!

Old 12-14-2007, 10:07 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthQueens149 View Post
BXGEAR, let me know the next time the mayor or PC acknowledges that crime is a problem ANYWHERE SPECIFIC w/i the city limits.
Those who can afford it are able to live in areas that are easily accessible to the city (ie; Williamsburg, Hunters Point, the City itself). For those who are working-class must live further out and endure longer commutes. This article I read on curbed.com is ridiculous.

http://curbed.com/archives/2007/12/11/more_hating_on_hunters_point_south.php (broken link)

They oppose affordable housing in Hunters Point, Queens.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:34 PM

235 posts, read 1,085,795 times
Quote:
Those who can afford it are able to live in areas that are easily accessible to the city (ie; Williamsburg, Hunters Point, the City itself). For those who are working-class must live further out and endure longer commutes. This article I read on curbed.com is ridiculous.
BXGEAR, Williamsburg may not be the next gentrified area the city elders would like it to be. There are recently built luxury condos there that aren't selling. That area has a gritty side to it and unlike parts of Harlem and other parts of Brooklyn, Williamsburg isn't getting the extra attention from the NYPD. It's easy to say that more cops should be assigned there, but like I said in a previous post, the NYPD is shrinking. The mayor was talking about a 4th Pct. in Staten Island a couple of yrs ago, there are all kinds of places that could use more cops, but resources are limited, and are getting more limited every month.

Those areas that are politically connected that need the extra cops , will get them (ie Harlem, Park Slope, Bklyn Hts, Upper East and West Sides) Other areas have clout, but don't need a sizeable police presence (ie Douglaston, Bayside, Howard Beach, Belle Harbor, Neponsit, Little Neck, Pelham Bay) Some of these areas are not close to the city, and have terrible commutes, but they are quiet and safe, and thus attract people w/ money just as well.

Your best bet, if you want to buy property, is to buy in the places that don't rely on a large police presence to keep the area safe. At the end of the day, you don't want to own in Bushwick or Williamsburg or the South Bronx when the city decides it can't, or won't, hire more cops. Just my .02.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:16 AM

216 posts, read 992,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
Yeah thats it !!!
lol

i had a quarter sheet there.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
lol

i had a quarter sheet there.
Ahhhh Like like the Duckys some of us are still around !!!

Old 12-16-2007, 11:12 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,981 times
Joe L...I really have no interest in bringing back any of the racist street gangs that you believed where "protecting YOUR" neighborhood from the "characters" (I take that as code for people of color). I certainly do not want to relive a time when people of color, and blacks especially, would get beat with bats for getting off at the "wrong" train stop, walking into the "wrong" neighborhood, eating at the "wrong" restaurants, going to school in the "wrong" area, or moving to the "wrong" neighborhood.

The blatant and rampant hate that you saw as "protecting" your community was yet another example of the accepted, rampant, and blatant hate and violence that was prevalent in this city and ultimately caused its demise. Thanks to people like you and your baldies...the seeds of hate, violence, and segregation were planted...and now you are left with the mess that you complain about today. And yet....you still yearn for those days....it is sad to see racism, hate and violence still run strong in many in this city...and the perverse idea that these people were providing some sort of service by beating and attacking people of color I guess does not change with age and experience.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:13 PM

Baaa I dont know where you get your facts from but I will let you in on something. The Fordham Baldies were not bald, did not carry Bats and never comitted crime.

It is possible you watched the movie "The Wanderors" where director Philip Kaufman protray's the Fordham Baldies as fat, bald, racist skinheads. Thats pure BULL**** and to be expected from Jewish Hollywood director's like Kaufman, DiNiro (a bronx tale)
Director Philip Kaufman was actually paid a visit an at his own office about this. If you rent the DVD he discloses he made things up.
The Baldies (if they exist) never commited any crime and the Ducky's were NOT all short and Irish.

I also was an Actor in the 1979 movie BTW. Most the scenes were shot under the El on Palmetto st and Seneca ave in Ridgewood. Before playing the racist card I suggest you know your topic before yelling FIRE, RACIST RACIST!
This post gives me agita Baaaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Joe L...I really have no interest in bringing back any of the racist street gangs that you believed where "protecting YOUR" neighborhood from the "characters" (I take that as code for people of color). I certainly do not want to relive a time when people of color, and blacks especially, would get beat with bats for getting off at the "wrong" train stop, walking into the "wrong" neighborhood, eating at the "wrong" restaurants, going to school in the "wrong" area, or moving to the "wrong" neighborhood.

The blatant and rampant hate that you saw as "protecting" your community was yet another example of the accepted, rampant, and blatant hate and violence that was prevalent in this city and ultimately caused its demise. Thanks to people like you and your baldies...the seeds of hate, violence, and segregation were planted...and now you are left with the mess that you complain about today. And yet....you still yearn for those days....it is sad to see racism, hate and violence still run strong in many in this city...and the perverse idea that these people were providing some sort of service by beating and attacking people of color I guess does not change with age and experience.

Last edited by Joe L; 12-16-2007 at 01:22 PM..

Old 12-16-2007, 03:38 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,960 times
Default Bravo, Joe L

Thank you for the corrections Joe L.......there is a fellow James Hannon who right now is doing a documentary on most of the gangs from The Bronx, he has interviewed several of the former Baldies who today are law abiding decent men, I commend you for trying to set the record straight. I know that James is looking for people to interview and always makes time to sit and chat about those past/long gone days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City