Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 03:44 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times

Advertisements

Chicago is simply a nicer city than NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 03:44 AM

10 posts, read 11,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I would not say Chicago is any cheaper than NYC. It's sales tax is 10.25%. Everything is expensive there. It's nice, though. It will never be NYC and their accents are horrible.

Shee-cah-goo.

:::cringe:::

Sigh, this is just stupid....You may not be a "little boy," but you clearly have the brain power/intellect of a 7 year old.

Even the most biased New Yorker can't possibly argue that Chicago has a higher cost of living than NYC....That would be one of the most idiotic comments I have ever heard on any forum.....

Old 09-11-2014, 08:21 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,280,624 times
Still it keeps coming down to New Yorkers finding it hard to conceive other cities can offer world class attributes it alone, to them has all? But sorry, other cities can and do. Chicago did attain to it far more then it had on the past. Its museums can, its restaurant scene has, its high end shopping up there with its Magnificent Mile and Boutique shops, attained to also a world renowned Skyline with large numbers of people living in its downtown region that is expanding and has land available to do so. Or course no one says rivals NYC and can't in quantity. But today can a New Yorker find enough similar attributes for the lifestyle they were use to? Yes, far more so then 40 years ago. A cleaner Mini-NYC is a complement that is Cheaper yet and you don't yet have to settle for a tiny apt in even old stock tenements , unless super wealthy. Though some New Yorkers seem to cringe HOW DARE YOU EVEN COMPARE?

Old 09-11-2014, 10:00 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
I was born and raised there. Meh is really all I have to say to it nowadays. I didn't like it over there for various reasons whilst I actually do like it over here nearly 10 fold more. Not to say this is a perfect place, as it's far from it, but I think what people should realize that everywhere has it's downsides; it's up to the individual to decide what they want to live with.

Also, yeah... I found that outside of rent, NYC has proven to be cheaper. The 12.5% sales tax on food and drink and $4/hr street parking really got to me. I like I can truly live without a car here, that alone lowered my monthly bill by about $400-600 given everything.

A proper comparison of my situation though would probably be like living in Morris Park now. In which case, rent and commute would roughly be the same except I'd have roughly the same rent (~1200) and no car. If I was somehow able to walk to my work in the Loop like I can do now in SoHo, then Chicago would be cheaper only in terms of rent. If I owned, whatever saved in income tax would be garbled up in property tax.

Honestly, the best situation is living off the PATH train and commuting to NYC in terms of finances. I've found that you do make a good bit more money in NYC than Chicago, so taking advantage of NJ taxes with NYC pay, you can really make a killing. Hudson County has looooow taxes for where it is. But life is more than finances; I like what NYC has, I found that what I liked in Chicago, however, was in suburbia. That's a bit of an annoyance when I have to commute an hour into the suburbs to do what I liked. This is just a personal issue though and not a general over encompassing one.

I digress, I did this micro research already and now live in one of the most expensive areas in the city maintaining a lifestyle I truly enjoy vs a life where I was very unhappy in a city that I didn't enjoy. To each his own.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:05 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,708,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Chicago is simply a nicer city than NYC
But with screwy pizza.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:11 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Shouldn't this be in the City v City forum?

Old 09-11-2014, 10:15 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
Pizza is just better here. Compare Geodonald's or Luminati's to Lombardi's, Table 87, or whatever that one place was down in Gravesend. Reno's and Coalfire in West Town are ok, but the multitude of good places here seriously outpace anything there.

Now if you're comparing $1 pizza to some midtier place in Chicago, then yeah, of course you're going to think it's better haha. We still spend less per slice if we go that route though.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:11 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,280,624 times
I too love thin crust pizza. But when I lived in Chicago. Most neighborhood pizza is thin not deep dish. But one key difference. I live in PA now and virtually all the thin is wimpy crust cut in triangle slices. In Chicago and other Midwest cities. It is CRISPY THIN CRUST CUT IN SMALL SQUARES. I still had the best thin crust pizza there in neighborhoods near where I lived. But I surely wouldn't rate or judge cities by pizza. By the way miss Chicago-Style Hot Dogs back east too. Can't find any here in small town PA.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:23 PM

10 posts, read 11,356 times
I liked the pizza better in NYC, but for everything else Chicago is a far nicer city.

Manhattan is the most overrated Urban area I have ever been to...An ugly crowded overpriced dump...No thanks....I have no intention of every living in that overrated dump ever again....

Chicago is the superior city in every way besides the weather....No question about it in my mind....Chicago has also improved immensely in the last 10 years....NYC has improved to in the last 10 years, but not to the same extent that Chicago has.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:47 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
My bias could be because I live in Buffalo. I've always liked Chicago way more than NYC. For the price, Chicago is the greatest bargain city in the world. Everything you could want in a city is there. The waterfront is untouchable.

As for weather I'd still pick Chicago. There is less humidity, sunnier summers, and the snow Dec-March is fluffy. NYC lies in that freeze-thaw fluctuation range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City