Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:43 AM

675 posts, read 1,256,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
since 2/3 of the city has rampant gang warfare problems...
That to me is one of the biggest differences between the Chi and NY. Its much easier to avoid a crime-ridden area in NY than it is in the Windy City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 02:25 PM

221 posts, read 322,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
- Is it a destination (to live/visit?)

Yes, there's plenty to do and see, and you can have a high quality of life there if you don't mind driving a lot.
You actually don't need a car in the city. Almost anywhere you live you have easy access to downtown. So people who work jobs downtown really don't need a car. If you live/work in the suburbs, then a car might be necessary... though there are trains that run from the suburbs to downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
That to me is one of the biggest differences between the Chi and NY. Its much easier to avoid a crime-ridden area in NY than it is in the Windy City
It's actually very easy to avoid a crime-ridden area. Just stick to good neighborhoods.

But maybe you mean that you have to "pass by" bad neighborhoods whenever you're going anywhere. Though this isn't true either. If you're commuting from the north side to downtown you don't pass through any bad neighborhoods. If you're commuting from Hyde Park to the north side you take Lake Shore Drive and it's all beautiful along that stretch.

Only time you "pass by" bad neighborhoods is taking the Red Line through the south side, or driving into the south suburbs.

Last edited by oak317; 05-14-2014 at 02:33 PM..

Old 05-14-2014, 02:35 PM

89 posts, read 150,853 times
I'm from NYC and was in Chicago this past year for a long weekend. I really enjoyed my time there. The city seemed beautiful and clean. I'd love to go back but only in the summer. I think the cold is too much for even this cold-jaded New Yorker. It struck me as a mid-west big city. I stayed near the waterfront and it was clean with lots of cool restaurants to choose from. The kind of place I'd visit but probably wouldn't live in mostly due to the cold. But...the architecture is really something to see. Go visit for that alone.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:40 PM

811 posts, read 550,720 times
Me and my friends call it Chi-raq. God bless those who live in the south side

Old 05-14-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak317 View Post
You actually don't need a car in the city. Almost anywhere you live you have easy access to downtown. So people who work jobs downtown really don't need a car. If you live/work in the suburbs, then a car might be necessary... though there are trains that run from the suburbs to downtown.

It's actually very easy to avoid a crime-ridden area. Just stick to good neighborhoods.

But maybe you mean that you have to "pass by" bad neighborhoods whenever you're going anywhere. Though this isn't true either. If you're commuting from the north side to downtown you don't pass through any bad neighborhoods. If you're commuting from Hyde Park to the north side you take Lake Shore Drive and it's all beautiful along that stretch.

Only time you "pass by" bad neighborhoods is taking the Red Line through the south side, or driving into the south suburbs.
Ah ok I gotcha, I been to the city a few times but only in downtown and in the hood (West Side) so my perception was skewed

Old 05-14-2014, 04:22 PM

573 posts, read 1,242,793 times
Wrigleyville seemed cool, though I didn't get to spend much time there - cooler than the area around Citi Field

Old 05-14-2014, 06:40 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oak317 View Post
You don't NEED one, but it sure isn't as easy to do without as it is here. Of course that's true of basically every other city in the country.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:43 PM

615 posts, read 448,446 times
Chicago is the most "American" big city in the nation.
NYC has more of a foreign feeling to it.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:02 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
My only interest in Chicago has to do with the origin of House Music and Techno. Otherwise it is another urban dump like NYC.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:23 AM

Police Search for Suspects in String of Streeterville Carjackings | NBC Chicago

Yes crime is a much bigger concern in Chicago than NY...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City