Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 09:58 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times

Advertisements

Meh, I was a single woman living off Nereid/238th by Boyd/Digney area. My block, and the surrounding blocks, were largely private homes. Every day, both day and night, I walked from the Nereid/WPR train stop to my apartment without a single issue. Not once was I ever accosted and felt unsafe by any means. The home I lived in was never burglarized. I was young and pretty slim so if someone wanted to overpower me I'm sure they could. I just practiced common sense, which is something that I'd do regardless of neighborhood.

People get defensive because individual opinions vary and no one is 100% right though some posters here think they are absolutely right. Wakefield is a working/middle classed neighborhood of mostly West Indian immigrants/descendants and to tell you the truth, I definitely wouldn't mind having them as neighbors again. Especially the older generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 02:23 AM

191 posts, read 220,564 times
marion/briggs/bainbridge is getting ridiculous dangerous... just today i'm walking around and i see the police plastered the area with safety bullentins because of the recent spike in crimes in the neighborhood. Even with police in every corner 24/7 and a mobile station on 194/briggs crimes still continues rampant.
Landlords around here take anyone with a heartbeat, so it seems. The amount of low lifes around here is staggering, what a waste of humanity. I bet this area makes w.plains like a trip to disney.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:32 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Meh, I was a single woman living off Nereid/238th by Boyd/Digney area. My block, and the surrounding blocks, were largely private homes. Every day, both day and night, I walked from the Nereid/WPR train stop to my apartment without a single issue. Not once was I ever accosted and felt unsafe by any means. The home I lived in was never burglarized. I was young and pretty slim so if someone wanted to overpower me I'm sure they could. I just practiced common sense, which is something that I'd do regardless of neighborhood.

People get defensive because individual opinions vary and no one is 100% right though some posters here think they are absolutely right. Wakefield is a working/middle classed neighborhood of mostly West Indian immigrants/descendants and to tell you the truth, I definitely wouldn't mind having them as neighbors again. Especially the older generation.
No one bothered me. I didn't appreciate neighbors who threw garbage out the windows, lots of insects and rodents (garbage everywhere), rap music at 2 or 3 am, people hanging out in the lobby at all hours, etc.

That's not working class behavior. That is SLUM/GHETTO behavior.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:35 PM

340 posts, read 1,185,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I think there is something going on in the upper two teens and lower 220's lately,especially 215 to 220 st.These kinds of battles often have a cleansing effect.Maybe during the Summer more of the hood rats will kill each other off and things will quiet down again.

I think u need to learn the definition of "hood rat" unless ur saying all the shootings are by ghetto section 8 type hood girls.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:08 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times
rialese Ive worked at E 239th and Byron for the past 24 years. im just steps from the area you mention. its totally safe during the day tho at night when ive taken the subway back to the office and walking to my car the atmosphere was quite different. still, i believe that one would only meet trouble if they didn't mind their business (ie starting a convo with a drug dealer etc)

Old 06-24-2014, 04:17 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times
NY Writerdude there was a cool cappucino shop on WP Rd and E 237th street back in the early 90's. kind of glitzy inside with chairs and tables to sit and enjoy your coffee/pastry.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:44 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
rialese Ive worked at E 239th and Byron for the past 24 years. im just steps from the area you mention. its totally safe during the day tho at night when ive taken the subway back to the office and walking to my car the atmosphere was quite different. still, i believe that one would only meet trouble if they didn't mind their business (ie starting a convo with a drug dealer etc)
People on city-data just need something to talk about, so by doing so they overrate certain neighborhoods. Realistically the only section of uptown I have had a issue with was anything west of Barnes ave which includes white plains road and the edenwald section.

How can anyone associate baychaster ave and neried ave east of Barnes with ghetto? Lmao

Old 06-25-2014, 09:31 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,742 times
IMHO I don't see much difference between Wakefield and Williamsbridge. In both you can walk or drive for blocks and The farther you go from WPR, the nicer it is. To me WPR isn't bad, its just commercial and the train is there. It seems very convenient for small shopping, and getting a bite to eat. Its not the UES, but its no worse than anyother working/middle class, commercial area in the city. Most of the business owners and the employees are Caribbean people. You can't be a slouch in this town and run a successful business no matter how humble.

Sometimes I think the Bronx is very racially divided. More so than the other boros. I think a lot myths are perpetrated to keep it this way. The homes in both Williamsbridge and Wakefield are larage and most are on really good sized lots. Most have parking for more than 2 cars. Most are stand alone brick homes. There are a lot of homes for sale and threads like this keep people from going to check them out. Because of the number of homes on sale, I can see these neighborhoods changing over night, if some groups of people decided to leave crowded sections of Brooklyn and Queens with higher priced smaller homes and moved there.

I walked through there quite a few times. It is mostly a Carribean neighborhood, atmosphere was fairly friendly. I went there a few Saturdays and it was warm outside. I could see people using their backyards BBQing. I could hear music but people kept it down really low. The sidewalks were clean and no one was loitering around. Most houses were well kept. A few looked as though they were in need of sprucing up, but even these were clean outside and had clean sidewalks in front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City