Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2014, 06:27 PM

194 posts, read 425,474 times

Advertisements

Haven't been tent/car camping a long time. Did a bunch of backpacking until DD was born and now that she's six I want to get out this summer.

I am on Long Island and am Iooking for sites about an hour or two outside NYC that have water activities. (Southern NY, West CT, NJ or even East PA.)

All the campgrounds I remember on LI have sites that are on top of one another. I don't need a remote location but I would prefer to find a campground where there is more than 10 feet of space between each individual site. Something where you don't have to view everything your neighbors are doing.

I would also not like to be stuck next to an RV and a running generator all night. Tent only sections?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 10:30 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,433 times
Way out east on LI has a few good options. Hither hills is on the beach in Montauk- gets a little more crowded in the height of the summer but June isn't bad. Or Cedar Point Park in East Hampton. It's right on the bay (though the campsites are in the woods next to the bay, not in the sand like at Hither Hills). Definitely very private/quiet, even in the summer.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:18 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times
Try north. New York State. Hudson Valley Area. Beautiful surroundings.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:33 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
I've camped a lot in NY (the state parks) and the closest state park I can think of is Fahnestock. I haven't seen the campsite (which BTW many of them have sites right next to each other anyway) but it has a lake that you can swim in, BBQ around and rent a boat for if you wanted to.

For 1-2 hours away from LI, you're probably not going to find anything THAT great.

From my experience in the state parks, most campsites will be next to each other (though some are better than others in terms of having a more secluded feeling) but I don't know about private ones. I also find that if you camp during the week, as long as it's not really a holiday, you have a lot more of the place to yourself. And lastly, if you pick a campsite in the NY state parks just to have a reservation, you can always ask to change your spot when you get there. Many people will just drive around the site looking for the site they like the best and change it. They are pretty good about letting you do that.

I'd check out the NJ/PA forums to see if someone might be able to recommend something there. Also, the regular NY forums. I can't really speak of non-state parks.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:29 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,606 times
Check out Monguap Pond, in northern Sullivan County. Growing up, we camped there every summer, and it's great. Sites aren't too too close to one another, with wooded areas in between. Huge lake with fishing, swimming, boating. It's about a half hour off of Exit 96 of Rte 17 (has that officially been designated I-86 yet? Been a while since I drove up that way). About 2.5 hours from the Throggs Neck Bridge (with no traffic).

If I ever go camping again, that's where I'm going.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:23 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Check out Monguap Pond, in northern Sullivan County. Growing up, we camped there every summer, and it's great. Sites aren't too too close to one another, with wooded areas in between. Huge lake with fishing, swimming, boating. It's about a half hour off of Exit 96 of Rte 17 (has that officially been designated I-86 yet? Been a while since I drove up that way). About 2.5 hours from the Throggs Neck Bridge (with no traffic).

If I ever go camping again, that's where I'm going.

I've camped here before too. It's a nice spot but I still think the sites are sometimes a little close. If I remember correctly, you can get a site around the water, which is nice. There is also swimming/rowing/etc. But it's definitely a 2.5-3 hour drive from LI. I think it's still "Future I-86." Ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City