Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 02:23 AM

5 posts, read 11,707 times

Advertisements

Can a NYC Police officer give me a ticket in Nassau County? I just crossed over into Nassau County and a NYC police officer pulled me over for having a cell phone on my lap. I was using it as a GPS. No calls or text were made. He even made me wait on the long island side as he drove back to NYC side to get a cross street address to put on the ticket. I'm worried about the 5 points that can be added to my license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 04:51 AM

105,674 posts, read 107,645,851 times
yes , if the violation happened in the nyc side for sure. it isn't like racing across the mexican border and you are safe.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:40 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,536,952 times
so does this mean you must put the phone in your bag or otherwise hidden place so you won't get a ticket? if the phone is on the seat they will ticket you?

im just asking because i would never consider even touching a phone when Im driving, im not into bluetooth tech etc so this is news to me

how did this cop know your phone was in your lap? did he see you using it as a GPS device?

Old 05-17-2014, 09:42 AM

5 posts, read 11,707 times
He was on the next lane at a red light and noticed I was looking down at my lap.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:25 AM

252 posts, read 604,528 times
good question, but I think he might be able to since it happened in NYC and he just happened to pull you over right across the borderline. Also, theres really no way to prove that he gave issued it to you in Nassau County

Old 05-17-2014, 07:48 PM

148 posts, read 211,905 times
Overzealous cop IMO. Sorry I'm not helping you, just venting.

Also overzealous was the cop who ticketed me in Manhattan for turning right on red in my rental car on biz trip. I'm a multi-million miler domestic biz traveler, not some dead weight, just never heard of that local law, and I sat there for 10-seconds with no traffic just to be safe. That cop was inappropriate, becoming increasingly more vigilant the more questions I asked (calmly), to wit his ultimatum "I don't know where you can pay the fine, now get out of here, no more questions."

For the record, I hate cell phone drivers in general, except when it's absolutely necessary and they comply w/protocol. Cell phone laws should be national (or something), due to travel. Right turn on red also, following that logic.

Last edited by 5thgencincy; 05-17-2014 at 08:08 PM..

Old 05-17-2014, 08:56 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,217,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgencincy View Post
Manhattan for turning right on red in my rental car on biz trip. I'm a multi-million miler domestic biz traveler, not some dead weight
Tourist driver tax!
As if police in Ohio don't target out-of-state drivers!

Old 05-17-2014, 09:05 PM

518 posts, read 821,962 times
Quote:
Overzealous cop IMO. Sorry I'm not helping you, just venting.

Also overzealous was the cop who ticketed me in Manhattan for turning right on red in my rental car on biz trip. I'm a multi-million miler domestic biz traveler, not some dead weight, just never heard of that local law, and I sat there for 10-seconds with no traffic just to be safe. That cop was inappropriate, becoming increasingly more vigilant the more questions I asked (calmly), to wit his ultimatum "I don't know where you can pay the fine, now get out of here, no more questions."

For the record, I hate cell phone drivers in general, except when it's absolutely necessary and they comply w/protocol. Cell phone laws should be national (or something), due to travel. Right turn on red also, following that logic.
Right on red is national, a Federal law tied on to highway funding bills at least since the !970's to reduce the air pollution of idling cars, EXCEPT in NYC which is exempt because the traffic is too crazy and their are too many pedestrians to trust your judgment as to when it is safe.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:43 PM

518 posts, read 821,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ml2482 View Post
Can a NYC Police officer give me a ticket in Nassau County? I just crossed over into Nassau County and a NYC police officer pulled me over for having a cell phone on my lap. I was using it as a GPS. No calls or text were made. He even made me wait on the long island side as he drove back to NYC side to get a cross street address to put on the ticket. I'm worried about the 5 points that can be added to my license.
It is a state traffic law being violated so I imagine he could have pursued you. Port Authority police have been known to give out traffic tickets in NYC having nothing to do near or with any bridge or tunnel.
That said, it is always worth requesting a hearing and fighting the ticket. I once beat a ticket given me in the 5th precinct by a cop from the 1st precinct for an infraction in the 1st precinct. Why it took him 6 blocks to get behind me I don't know. I stated at the hearing where I was stopped and the cop blurted an unconvincing "No" without even being asked. The judge said that we can't seem to agree on where this happened and dismissed the ticket.
The cop was young. An experienced cop would not have misspoke like that.

Request a hearing. Bring your phone bill which may prove that you were not calling or texting. Act baffled but always respectful towards the cop and state where you were stopped. If the cop says, "Nooooo," you're halfway home.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:10 PM

368 posts, read 388,014 times
Quote:
Also overzealous was the cop who ticketed me in Manhattan for turning right on red in my rental car on biz trip.
In other words, you ran a red light. It doesn't matter that you were turning right; ther eis no right turn on red in New York City except where explicitly posted.
Quote:
just never heard of that local law,
Despite the fact that at every entrance to the city, there is a sign posted that says "NYC Law: no right turn on red unless posted". In other words, you were doubly inattentive.

Quote:
That cop was inappropriate, becoming increasingly more vigilant the more questions I asked (calmly), to wit his ultimatum "I don't know where you can pay the fine, now get out of here, no more questions."
You seem unaware of the actual definitions of the words "vigilant" and "ultimatum". And why were you asking him silly questions? The police do not adjudicate summonses or collect fines, and the information about how to pay is printed on the summons itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City