Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 10:21 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,107 times

Advertisements

You dont have to be rich to enjoy the ameneties of the city. I always go to chinatown, soho, village, LEs m williamsburg and enjoy the food and but doesnt mean i have to live in these areas.

I take the train and dont make 6 figures. If you wanna live te champagne and caviar lifestyle then yes,... Move to minnesota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 10:47 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Even if you're not rich, NYC still has concerts, good cheap food, public parks, museums, etc. What good is a bigass house in the middle of Fumbuck PA if you're forced to eat Pizza Hut and the local bars are full of creepy middle aged dudes and soccer moms in sweatpants

Old 05-18-2014, 10:55 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
I'm one of the most adamant people on this forum on the topic of "leaving", but even I have to dispute your claims. Literally millions of people survive here without being anywhere near rich. My family wants for almost nothing, including our own home, yearly vacations, savings, brand new cars, weekly restaurant visits, etc, and I'm barely touching the upper middle class salary range.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:12 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times
The whole idea that you have to make big bucks just to live anywhere in the 5 boroughs is wildly overblown and sensationalized. This isn't Monaco for christsakes. It really depends on what your expectations and needs are.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:33 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times
Surviving and Living are two different things. If you haven't been out of NYC in a while you haven't lived. What we do here is good for one or two weeks for most people.

NYC is not the center of the universe anymore.

It's not about big bucks it's about having a decent quality of life which many don't have here anymore. You can be programmed to believe anything you want but the golden era is gone. You are being spoon fed somebody else's idea of what amazing should be.

This weekend I took long walks in both midtown and downtown. It was disgusting...people on top of each other...couldn't walk a straight line without running into somebody or having snide comments hurled at you...and in the midst of it are the idiots glued to their cell phone not giving a damn what kind of congestion they are causing.

I paid $10 for a salad at a health food restaurant and they fill it with white iceberg lettuce. What's wrong with this picture ? You can't tell me this is living.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:45 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,567,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Surviving and Living are two different things. If you haven't been out of NYC in a while you haven't lived. What we do here is good for one or two weeks for most people.

NYC is not the center of the universe anymore.

It's not about big bucks it's about having a decent quality of life which many don't have here anymore. You can be programmed to believe anything you want but the golden era is gone. You are being spoon fed somebody else's idea of what amazing should be.

This weekend I took long walks in both midtown and downtown. It was disgusting...people on top of each other...couldn't walk a straight line without running into somebody or having snide comments hurled at you...and in the midst of it are the idiots glued to their cell phone not giving a damn what kind of congestion they are causing.

I paid $10 for a salad at a health food restaurant and they fill it with white iceberg lettuce. What's wrong with this picture ? You can't tell me this is living.

Wow... someone sounds a little bitter! People on top of one another? Lol, it's called being in a busy part of the city. Wow. Someone was busy on their cell instead of bowing down to you! $10 for iceberg? No one is putting a gun to your head and telling you to go back.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:30 AM

531 posts, read 594,777 times
Google has spoken

Old 05-19-2014, 05:14 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhit04 View Post
Ima NYC native but i see no point living here , cost of living is too much? and renting is pointless while you could buy a house in upstate or NJ/PA
There are so many things to do here and that includes lots of free or low cost cultural events that one can enjoy without being rich.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:22 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noggin of rum View Post
google has spoken

lol!

Old 05-19-2014, 06:30 AM

499 posts, read 793,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
Google has spoken
I don't know how you were able to generate results with both "New York is a "and "nyc is a" by typing nyc...

Anyway, just another showing of London's inferiority complex. I don't know why their city-data users are so obsessed with New York and silly rankings.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City