Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 10:20 AM

260 posts, read 434,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Pelham Parkway would probably be a good spot.The are a lot of Jews around here and there is even a small Number of Russian speaking Jews.One of the local Shuls ,Young Israel of Pelham Parkway, currently has a program where they pay a substantial percentage of the rent for a couple of years for any Jew who moves to Pelham Parkway and joins their congregation.They would also give $ 40,000 towards the purchase of a house if someone wants to buy a house instead of rent.He can go to their website to find details about these programs.

The neighborhood is very close to New Rochelle and it is surrounded by a large Eruv if he would need that.
The Shul definitely sounds like something I need to check out. He's not very religious, but that seems like a great opportunity.

We're going to check out Pelham Parkway this weekend because I've never been there. I'll definitely try to find out more about the Shul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 11:46 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blainnyc View Post
The Shul definitely sounds like something I need to check out. He's not very religious, but that seems like a great opportunity.

We're going to check out Pelham Parkway this weekend because I've never been there. I'll definitely try to find out more about the Shul.
Young Israel Of Pelham Parkway Jewish Center - Home

Housing Program - Young Israel Of Pelham Parkway Jewish Center

Old 05-20-2014, 12:28 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,259,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yeah, the projects were different back then. Back then, they were working class and lower middle families. They provided affordable housing. NOthing like they are today

There are a lot of older Jews in the PP Houses. I'm so happy they caught the SOBs...

bluedog, do you have a link about who the killers were? cant find anything on google.
In the 1960's, my aunt, uncle and three cousins lived in NYCHA project in southern East New York. Yes, East New York. He was a struggling small businessman. She was a housewife. The three kids attended public school. And this was the profile of every family in the project. My older cousins said they had an incredible childhood.

At some time they were kicked out because their income was too high. Fast forward five years later (to sometime in the 70's), and their complex had been transformed from safe working class to a hellhole. The geniuses in Lindsay's government decided that those on welfare, rather than those who worked, would get first rights to the apartments.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:10 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
In the 1960's, my aunt, uncle and three cousins lived in NYCHA project in southern East New York. Yes, East New York. He was a struggling small businessman. She was a housewife. The three kids attended public school. And this was the profile of every family in the project. My older cousins said they had an incredible childhood.

At some time they were kicked out because their income was too high. Fast forward five years later (to sometime in the 70's), and their complex had been transformed from safe working class to a hellhole. The geniuses in Lindsay's government decided that those on welfare, rather than those who worked, would get first rights to the apartments.

Sobro, Sobro....you reading this my friend? Others saw it too.... Maybe wise man Whitlock will see it too, but he is probably too busy eating ice cream at Jhans...

Old 05-23-2014, 06:39 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
Quote:

Great post. Another great example of Liberal policies frunking up the city.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:57 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Great post. Another great example of Liberal policies frunking up the city.
They mean well. They just don't realize that they are not fortune-tellers. And once they find that out it is usually too late and the damage has been done.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:27 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
They mean well. They just don't realize that they are not fortune-tellers. And once they find that out it is usually too late and the damage has been done.

Yes, and why were not homeowners in the area who lost home equity due to the major drop in property values due to the increase of crime and uncivil behavior not compensated?

Where are there reparations?

Old 05-23-2014, 07:35 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
In the 1960's, my aunt, uncle and three cousins lived in NYCHA project in southern East New York. Yes, East New York.
This was shortly after the Federal Aid Highway Act was signed. The (predominantly white) middle class got their share of housing welfare too, just saying...

Old 06-08-2014, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Pelham Parkway would probably be a good spot.The are a lot of Jews around here and there is even a small Number of Russian speaking Jews.One of the local Shuls ,Young Israel of Pelham Parkway, currently has a program where they pay a substantial percentage of the rent for a couple of years for any Jew who moves to Pelham Parkway and joins their congregation.They would also give $ 40,000 towards the purchase of a house if someone wants to buy a house instead of rent.He can go to their website to find details about these programs.

The neighborhood is very close to New Rochelle and it is surrounded by a large Eruv if he would need that.
Hi, Bluedog2 - Do you have any information on Brady Court? (Not sure where to post)....lil

Old 06-09-2014, 02:52 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubie1916 View Post
Hi, Bluedog2 - Do you have any information on Brady Court? (Not sure where to post)....lil
Seems to be a pretty nice complex as far as I can tell.I looked at apartments there at one time and didn't find anything really negative about the place.I walk through there occasionally when I am in that area because it's like a little park.

I read somewhere last year though that there was some kind of battle going on among the shareholders, so if you are thinking about buying in there be sure to do your homework and find out what's going on or what was going on.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-09-2014 at 03:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City