Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 03:53 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy You Met Once View Post
This isn't another one of those "nostalgia for the '80s" threads, I'm asking that literally.

I'm writing a column for Rivetgig.com about where the goths/punks/members of the related subcultures emigrated to as prices rose and their scenes fizzled. (So don't even waste your time typing out something like "they grew up.") Iif anyone here fits one of those descriptions, used to live in NYC, and has relocated somewhere else:

1. Where'd you move to?
2. When did you leave? And why?
3. Are you happier there? And are you still participating in the scene?

If that's not you, but you know someone else who fits that description, feel free to answer on their behalf. I can at least use it as a base for further research.

Not me but my sister.

1. She moved to the South after college.
2. She hated the cold and always said she'd move out of NY. And she did almost as soon as she graduated.
3. I guess she is. She has a house, a job with the city, etc. I don't think she participates much in the scene now---she is almost forty---but she still wears mostly black and her black boots a lot. She had pretty much decided she was already going to move but once she left NYC, there wasn't as much of a "scene" for her to participate in anyway like she used to. Plus, she's getting older now so just like a lot of people, the things they used to do just aren't done much anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 04:38 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
I think the scene has died down a lot. Still have some friends from high school that think they are "punk rock" in their late 30s and early 40s..and it's honestly kind of pathetic. Of course, most of them are unemployed.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:51 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times
lol

Old 05-20-2014, 05:18 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Can't wait for the hipster scene to fully die down. Does anyone think Williamsburg Brooklyn will adept to a new subculture when Hipster scene dies?

Old 05-20-2014, 06:54 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Default Demographic Pyramid Scheme

The problem with these cultural groups is that they are all huge losers in the demographic pyramid scheme. Too much sterile sex and a lack of reproduction. Thus they get old and don't reproduce and they disappear. The future belongs to Latinos and Hasidim who reproduce with abandon. Those that embrace ruling class abortion and contraception will be exterminated - the goths are emblematic of this.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:03 AM

438 posts, read 653,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
the problem with these cultural groups is that they are all huge losers in the demographic pyramid scheme. Too much sterile sex and a lack of reproduction. Thus they get old and don't reproduce and they disappear. The future belongs to latinos and hasidim who reproduce with abandon. Those that embrace ruling class abortion and contraception will be exterminated - the goths are emblematic of this.
lol

Old 05-20-2014, 08:05 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Upstate?

Old 05-20-2014, 08:37 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,031,473 times
I used to see the same group of 3-4 goth types on 116th St. in East Harlem quite a bit back about 7-8 years ago, but then my office moved 10 blocks south, so don't know (don't think) if they are still in the area. They always seemed wasted...

Old 05-20-2014, 09:20 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
There will always be hipsters. It's just that what constitutes a hipster, and what they look like, will evolve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Can't wait for the hipster scene to fully die down. Does anyone think Williamsburg Brooklyn will adept to a new subculture when Hipster scene dies?

Old 05-20-2014, 10:37 AM

156 posts, read 193,491 times
As a working adult, I know that the majority of members of any subculture will inevitably grow out of it or stop participating due to life pressures. I'm only interested in what happened to the ones who stuck with it. (Even if only on the weekends.)

That said:

@NativeTransplant: It seems like Pittsburgh is an area to look into.

@CityLiving: Thanks. Would it be possible for me to get a short quote from her for the article? If so, PM me.

@NooYowkur: Come to think of it, I know a guy who was involved in the NYC scene and moved upstate. I'll see if I can track him down on Facebook.

@Samyn: If you haven't noticed, the Earth is full up on people. No matter what their race, a drop in anyone's reproductive rate is good.

Last edited by That Guy You Met Once; 05-20-2014 at 11:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: