Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 04:46 AM

99 posts, read 144,040 times

Advertisements

Lets talk about this scam. My building has it up for 2 years already and NOT ONE DAY of brickwork renewal has been done. The supernintendo (yea hes a joke i know its spelled wrong) is getting a monthly payment from the scaffold company to allow them to keep it up longER.*Factont ask how i found out* My 2nd floor view is blocked by this ugly ***** and my canopy adress cant be seen because of it. 3 times delivery guys aka call girls -joke- got lost because they could'nt see the building number and drove right by it. 311 dont care. Super WANTS it to stay longer because he's getting more money. Has anybody heard of this scheme ??

How long has your scaffolding been up?
Is there really anything i can do about this?

Tell your scaffold story here.
For those who are wondering what im talking about here...a picture is worth a thousand words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 06:47 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Building up the block at like 94th and Third Avenue has had a scaffolding going 3/4 block down Third and a quarter block up 94th towards Lex.
It has been up for nearly 3 years and I can discern no meaningful work ever being done on the façade.

The Times ran an article LONG ago demonstrating that it is sometimes cheaper to leave scaffolding up almost permanently than to pay to put it up and take it down. There must be some truth in that because so many buildings seem to keep them up seemingly forever.

(Nice building Mr. Hate.)

Old 05-20-2014, 08:31 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Place a complaint with 311 and DOB.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:40 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times
Where do you think they're supposed to store all of this scaffolding if not in front of your building? The scaffolding will be gone as soon as the scaffolding owner finds a better customer to store his material.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:53 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen as much scaffolding as New York in any other city I've visited. I found something about this on Google.

New York City: Why is there so much scaffolding up in New York City? - Quora

Old 05-20-2014, 09:29 AM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
This is a fallout of something called Local Law 11. A bunch of year ago, there were a couple of incidents of building facades coming loose and dropping material on to the street below. I think there were a few casualties.

So the City Council passed a law that every building has to have it's facade inspected every 5 years by an engineer. If the engineer finds anything (and they almost invariable do), the building must fix it by a certain timeframe. Putting up a sidewalk shed stops the initial clock (they also have to have the work done by a certain timeframe, it think three years, but this could be wrong.) So that's why you see so many sheds and scaffolds up.

This is essentially a city sponsored full employment program for contractors, and one of the biggest scams going.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:59 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
scaffolding is one of my top pet peeves about nyc.

-eye sore
-no room to walk thru busy nyc
-its seemingly up forever
-when it rains, people & their umbrella don't fit.
-Its dark

Old 05-20-2014, 02:25 PM

419 posts, read 626,109 times
you guys should complaint to DOB. They are the one give out permits, most of those scaffolds are waiting for the permit to start the jobs.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:35 PM

774 posts, read 906,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
This is a fallout of something called Local Law 11. A bunch of year ago, there were a couple of incidents of building facades coming loose and dropping material on to the street below. I think there were a few casualties.

So the City Council passed a law that every building has to have it's facade inspected every 5 years by an engineer. If the engineer finds anything (and they almost invariable do), the building must fix it by a certain timeframe. Putting up a sidewalk shed stops the initial clock (they also have to have the work done by a certain timeframe, it think three years, but this could be wrong.) So that's why you see so many sheds and scaffolds up.

This is essentially a city sponsored full employment program for contractors, and one of the biggest scams going.
The City Council ought to pass a law banning the dangerous chemicals used in maintenance/construction.

GREEDY BTARDS ON THE TAKE DON'T GIVE A FLUCK ABOUT MY BREATHING HEALTH OR YOURS

SEND THOSE HARDHAT SLOBS BACK TO GO DO MAINTENANCE WHEREVER THEY LIVE AND WHEREVER THE PIGS ON THE COUNCIL LIVE......................WE DON'T WANT YOU HERE GET LOST.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:41 PM

774 posts, read 906,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

When did the City CON sill pass this HORRIBLE law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City