Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 02:22 PM

5 posts, read 6,700 times

Advertisements

I am moving to NYC in July and have heard these are good areas to look. Could anyone recommend some particular blocks or sub-neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 02:28 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Can't think of any. Maybe because none exist.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Can't think of any. Maybe because none exist.
What do you mean by that? There are no bargains?

Old 05-20-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinMWI View Post
What do you mean by that? There are no bargains?
For it to be a bargain it usually would have to be a great price for the nabe. In this case there are no bargains. Its called living in a ghetto with poor people.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:36 PM

I was told it was Orthodox Jewish, just like Williamsburg was before it turned around.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinMWI View Post
I was told it was Orthodox Jewish, just like Williamsburg was before it turned around.
The Jewish part of Williamsburg hasn't changed. The Jewish part of Crown Heights likely won't either.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:43 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,316 times
Weird posts today. I can't figure out the agenda.

Is the name Weeksville even still used? I thought that was a very old, obsolete name.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:48 PM

503 posts, read 899,071 times
Not sure if by bargains you mean the affordable housing lottery?

In any case, not sure there's much of a bargain when your QOL will be equal to that of a third world ghetto come this Summer.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:01 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Weird posts today. I can't figure out the agenda.
If the posts are real (aka not troll posts), I think I have it figured out.

Rents have really skyrocketed in the past year, including in areas that used to be considered bad places to live (Crown Heights and Bed-Stuy). But...the cool kids moving in from elsewhere in the country only want to live in Brooklyn. Since they can't afford to live in the gentrifying areas of Crown Heights and Bed-Stuy, they are being pushed out to the bad areas of Crown Heights and Bed-Stuy, and also East Flatbush and East New York.

Cool kids don't live in Queens, Staten Island or the Bronx. Only Brooklyn. So the answer is to live in horrible areas of Brooklyn just to be able to afford it.

Last edited by Henna; 05-20-2014 at 06:10 PM..

Old 05-20-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If the posts are real (aka not troll posts), I think I have it figured out.

Rents have really skyrocketed in the past year, including in areas that used to be considered bad places to live (Crown Heights and Bed-Stuy). But...the cool kids moving in from elsewhere in the country only want to live in Brooklyn. Since they can't afford to live in the gentrifying areas of Crown Heights and Bed-Stuy, they are being pushed out to the bad areas of Crown Heights and Bed-Stuy, and also East Flatbush and East New York.

Cool kids don't live in Queens, Staten Island or the Bronx. Only Brooklyn. So the answer is to live in horrible areas of Brooklyn just to be able to afford it.
It may be hard for you who are from NYC or have lived in NYC forever to understand, 'cause you might take it for granted, but Brooklyn definitely has a certain je ne sais quoi that Staten Island (ewwwww) doesn't have, that Queens and the Bronx don't have, that NJ doesn't have....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: