Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 07:48 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Oh, ok. For some reason I thought he started with a food truck or cart and then opened the store front. I'm with you--I like efficiency, especially when I'm pressed for time. There was an employee in the deli in my building who would yell "HAVE YOUR MONEY READY" lol

I feel ready to say the same at the coffee shop - there's often someone (always a woman - its true!) digging through her goddam purse to pay for the drink in pennies and dimes or something, taking three times as long as everyone else.

I'm no technophile, but if they suggested no cash purchases for the store I'd vote yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 08:11 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I feel ready to say the same at the coffee shop - there's often someone (always a woman - its true!) digging through her goddam purse to pay for the drink in pennies and dimes or something, taking three times as long as everyone else.

I'm no technophile, but if they suggested no cash purchases for the store I'd vote yes.
LOL...I have to agree. I always have money in my pocket or I take it out while I'm waiting at the counter for my order. And I see the same people every day ordering the same thing. Your order is $4.67. Why aren't you prepared to pay? And these are the same people who huff and puff if they have to wait 10 extra seconds!

Old 05-23-2014, 09:17 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
The whole concept of the Soup Nazi is that in NYC, there are many local eateries and services that have exclusivity due to zoning or area. Some spots have only one dry cleaner with 2-3 blocks or that only deli or pizzeria. The business owner get to chew the customer out if they don't like their product or services.

I used to go to this Chinese takeout place in downtown and I keep telling him that his chow fun was too soggy and he said "no fun for you then, bye"

You have Chinese food nazi, bklyn Pizza nazi, dry cleaning nazi, and they are everywhere in NYC.

Not as much as it used to be since many of these businesses close down to the skyrocketing rents. And the influx of franchise businesses.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:57 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post

It IS always women.
The one that toasts my bread is the woman who checks out for fast food or groceries and then is told the amount and ONLY THEN does she open her purse and dig for her wallet. It's almost as if they are fully expecting to hear "No charge, ma'am" and are surprised by the concept of PAYING.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:42 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
did they at least give you a piece of bread?
You want bread?! THREE DOLLARS!!!

Old 05-25-2014, 07:09 AM

"No soup, ONE YEAR."

Old 05-25-2014, 07:17 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
It IS always women.
The one that toasts my bread is the woman who checks out for fast food or groceries and then is told the amount and ONLY THEN does she open her purse and dig for her wallet. It's almost as if they are fully expecting to hear "No charge, ma'am" and are surprised by the concept of PAYING.

Absolutely, males never, ever hold up a line at the grocery or the restaurant because they are male, always efficient, always on time, and are never wrong, ever, just ask them, they will tell you (the biggest fish story on the planet)..........

Old 05-25-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Absolutely, males never, ever hold up a line at the grocery or the restaurant because they are male, always efficient, always on time, and are never wrong, ever, just ask them, they will tell you (the biggest fish story on the planet)..........

Nope. none of the above.
BUT men always have their wallets out ready to pay for groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City