Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 10:44 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
When I was a kid in the 1970s, growing up in Forest Hills, Jamaica was known (among us white kids) as a dangerous black area.

Is that no longer true? Or was it never true?

There are parts of Jamaica that are not that safe. Other areas are fine. You also have some neighborhoods next to Jamaica, like Briarwood, that are right on the E/F line and very quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 07:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
There are several express buses which go straight from Jamaica into the city which makes for a smoother commute than taking the train(s) because most likely you'll live too far to walk to the subway/LIRR and will have to take a bus to the train station. Express buses (forget how much they are, maybe $6 one-way) are a better commuting option.
The express buses run the risk of getting caught in the (frequent) traffic jams on the LIE. You're better off on the subway or LIRR.

Besides, in the portions of Jamaica near the subway lines, there aren't really any express buses anyway. (Off the top of my head, you have the X68 along Hillside Avenue, and the X64 along Liberty Avenue). Near Briarwood, you have some more, but I'd still recommend the subway.

Quote:
When I was a kid in the 1970s, growing up in Forest Hills, Jamaica was known (among us white kids) as a dangerous black area.

Is that no longer true? Or was it never true?
Well, right now, Jamaica proper definitely isn't a black neighborhood. It's a very diverse area with a lot of Hispanics, Bangladeshis, etc (of course, there's still a lot of blacks, but it definitely isn't a black neighborhood). How true it was in the 1970s (and how dangerous it was), I don't know. For what it's worth, the area around Hillside Avenue seems pretty nice, and Jamaica Avenue is definitely busy.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:33 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,429 times
Well, Jamaica Estates was very nice in the 1980s, when I visited the area a few times. And I was often in Briarwood in the late 1970s, and that was nice.

But Jamaica proper, such as where the LIRR has its station, and the E and F trains used to stop, that had a bad rep in the 1970s and 1980s.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:49 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,258 times
Quote:
Well, Jamaica Estates was very nice in the 1980s, when I visited the area a few times. And I was often in Briarwood in the late 1970s, and that was nice.

But Jamaica proper, such as where the LIRR has its station, and the E and F trains used to stop, that had a bad rep in the 1970s and 1980s.
Still has that rep by the LIRR station. But further up Hillside as other posters noted is OK with a lot of nationalities making that neighborhood home.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:12 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
The whole are around Jamaica Center, Brairwood and Jamaica Hills are becoming less black and white and more Hispanic and asian with every year that passes.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,265 times
Thanks everyone - very helpful info!

Old 06-17-2014, 03:15 AM

108 posts, read 120,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I recently visited someone who lives a few blocks from 169th St and Hillside Ave in Jamaica and the neighborhood seemed quite mixed -- Puerto Ricans, Haitians, Bengalis, etc. It was quiet and well kept. This was on a Saturday afternoon. I don't know about the rest of Jamaica but that area seemed like a decent place to live.

you likely were in Jamaica hills (north of hillside) and not Jamaica (south of hillside).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City