Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 10:15 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,900,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak317 View Post
I glamorize NYC. I love to think of all the museums, the energy, the food & culture, Central Park.
I wonder how many native New Yorkers actually go to the places NYC is famous for?

I lived the first 26 years of my life in NYC, and have been back for a visit every year since then.

Yet I've only twice been to a museum. Once to the Met, once to the MOMA. I've only once been to a Broadway show -- on an 8th grade class trip. And to date, I've NEVER been inside Central Park, though I walked by it on several occasions. I always figured, someday I'll go inside.

I've been up the Empire State Building once once, as a child. Ditto the Statue of Liberty. Been up twice in the Twin Towers. Never been up the new Freedom Tower.

I always hear people saying they want to live here or there, because of all the museums and cultural events -- but really, how often do people go to such things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 02:53 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Museums, Theater, Lincoln Center, Central Park...A LOT! I've probably been to the Metropolitan Museum a couple hundred times.
It's why I am in this town.

As for the boring tourist traps like big buildings, big Christmas trees, and jingoistic memorials...very rarely.

I really cannot see why somebody would pay these prices and NOT enjoy what the City has to offer...except maybe for a breathtaking salary that he's banking.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:01 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,567,806 times
I can relate to the OP. Chicago is in no way on the level of NYC, not even close. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! I've lived in both places. Was bored out of my mind in Chicago. It simply doesn't have the same energy. I'm in fashion, so that may be part of my bias, seeing that I'm in a place that is known for it worldwide. It depends what you are looking to get out of life. First make sure you are in an industry that is big here, and that you've obviously got the job and salary to live the life you want. But I'm sure you already knew those things lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: