Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 03:07 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,402,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Plenty of good NYC style pizza. Outer Boro's have the best ones. In the City, John's on Bleeker is my favorite.
Hardly a true NYC pizza place. Good place for yuppies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 05:00 PM

571 posts, read 788,799 times
NYC pizza places HAVE to be kinda divey neighborhood places. Well known places (like Grimaldi's, or whatever) suuuuuuck.

Pizza Alba in Briarwood, Queens and John and Joe's in Pelham Parkway in The Bronx are my faves.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:09 PM

774 posts, read 903,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
NYC pizza places HAVE to be kinda divey neighborhood places. Well known places (like Grimaldi's, or whatever) suuuuuuck.

Pizza Alba in Briarwood, Queens and John and Joe's in Pelham Parkway in The Bronx are my faves.
Try Captains or Emilio's in The Bronx.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:13 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,969,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
One thing I hate about gentrification is the quality of pizza took a big nose dive in NYC.

It's mainly due to skyrocketing rent but almost all transplants new to NYC that has lived here less than 3 years prefers sucky pizzas like Dominos, Papa Johns, and even Pizza Hut Express over nearby local pizza.

Can't blame them too because the quality of pizzas especially those made at Korean Delis and tourist heavy Pizzerias can't make a decent pie.

You have people on Yelpers say that NYC Pizza is overrated because they tried newly opened *fake* NYC Pizzeria. Especially those folks that order Pizza in Penn Station, you're gonna judge NYC area pizza from a train station, really?

Looks like gentrification is slowly killing Irish pubs.

NYC Irish Pubs | NYC Commercial Rents

Old 05-23-2014, 07:19 PM

774 posts, read 903,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Looks like gentrification is slowly killing Irish pubs.
Does going way off topic slowly kill CD threads?

Old 05-23-2014, 07:42 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,969,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
Does going way off topic slowly kill CD threads?
Does your mouth kill cd threads my lord?

Anyway posters on this forum like old NYC, especially the hay day of African American, Puerto Rican, Irish, Italian and even Jewish culture that once predominated NYC. Why are these cultures declining and cuisine establishment disappearing from NYC? They are plenty of answers. Gentrification can be the main culprit. High rents are forcing individuals and business to look elsewhere to thrive or bow out of the business scene forever. Gentrification is forcing people to move cheaper and greener pastures throughout the Northeast and as far as Down South. Demographic shifts are also part of the blame, and its not only white, other ethnic groups move in and change things up a bit. Also trends have changed. For example Jewish delicatessen? With the farm to table, organic/vegan food trend, do you think these organic types especially that proliferate in hip trendy neighborhoods are going to buy from Jewish delicatessens? No. The only way for these delicatessens to thrive is the cater food for the gentry class folks. I'm happy that Katz and Carnegie Deli are still going and pumping out great pastrami Sandwiches. Same for the Irish pubs, the gentry class want crafted beers and not traditional American, Mexican and European brews. If establishments that are not an institution want to survive in NYC they need to conform to the needs of the gentry. I enjoy Irish Pubs, authentic NY Italian Pizzerias, African American soul food kitchnes in Harlem, Puerto Rican Luncheonera, and Jewish Delicatessen, but with the decline of the Italian American population, African American population, Puerto Rican, Irish, and Jewish expect a decline in their establishments too.

Closing time for Jewish delis - Los Angeles Times

New York Jewish Delis in Decline | Hipster Jew

Old 05-23-2014, 08:08 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,679,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Hardly a true NYC pizza place. Good place for yuppies.
Really? Well like a lot of food and things in NYC. It's subjective. Lombardi's, Johns, Ben's and Patsy's all serve very good pizza in Manhattan. In terms of Yuppies, transplants and hipsters. That's Manhattan 2014. That trend has been going on for years.

BxGuy, Great post. Your a 100% correct.

Bx Pizza, Louie and Ernie's is my favorite. Tommy's on Tremont in da Neck is second. Nostalgic vote goes to Sal's on Bainbridge Ave.
Queen's Pizza, New Park in Howard Beach is tops for me. Pete's on Bell Blvd is very good. That might have something to do with time i'm there. Vacarro's on Little Neck is also very good. ( Grandma slice)
Brooklyn Pizza: I used to love Lento's in Bay Ridge. Closed. Safe pick, L&B in Gravesend is very good. I also like Totonno's Pizza in Coney island. Haven't been there since Sandy crushed them. Peppino's on 3rd Ave. in Bay Ridge is also very good.
SI, Denino's is excellent.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:09 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,187,004 times
I hate when people blame the decreased quality of pizza in nyc on the $1pizza joints. Pizza was going down in quality well before the $1 joints started popping up. And some of these $1 places actually make a better slice than many of the regular places. I was talking to someone about this and they smartly pointed out that the pizza is actually much fresher in the dollar joints because there is a steady flow of people buying the cheap pizza.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:50 PM

18,915 posts, read 13,805,289 times
There's great pizza all over. Anyone who can't find good pizza is nuts. I have 3-4 awesome places within a mile of my house, two that I've been eating at since I was a kid. I still find new places fairly often also. Just two weeks ago we found a place on Allen Street that rocks and serves HUGE slices.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:01 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,885,600 times
Pizzerias in the non gentrified outer boroughs neighborhoods are still thriving. Many have been around for decades. I agree that the pizza in the gentrified nabes are bland for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
If you go down Myrtle ave in Upper Ridgewood/Lower Glendale there is literally a pizzeria every block. No joke. Has to have the highest density of pizzerias in the country. Don't see them going anywhere anytime soon, even as new brick-oven pizza places are opening up.
There at least 4 pizzerias within a 5 block distance from me lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City