Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 07:35 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,041,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
That neighborhood is not -that- bad, though there is no touristy reason to be there. And definitely no reason to be drunkenly pestering guys hanging outside a bodega at midnight. But the guy was not truly a tourist, either. Just an out of towner visiting his girlfriend from the neighborhood.

Actually, the puncher looked like he wasn't really looking for a fight either and would have let the dude walk away, but then the Italian had to walk up -again- and, boom, sucker punched to death. Everyone loses.

As far as tourists visiting the Bronx, sure, why not? I would do some research and actually have something to visit. You will see plenty of the 'real Bronx' while visiting a legit tourist destination. Just don't go starting fights outside bodegas.
How is it not a bad neighborhood? You Can't Walk past that bodega without going past a group of drug dealers. Typical Bronx hood. No reason to be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 07:46 PM

52 posts, read 105,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycman9 View Post
I said it before and i say again for anyone who loves to live and wants to listen;

NEVER turn your back or face the other way of your opponent in the streets, thugs are always looking for a moment of distraction or carelessness and then BOOM you are frigging DEAD!!
True indeed. Once alcohol enters your system and your central nervous system is inhibited, your cognitive skills go to **** and your not even in control of your own mind/body. If you know you instigate and are "pop off at the mouth drunk", DONT DRINK ALCOHOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycman9 View Post
They have a mentality of hurting and killing first, and then crying and asking questions later. Of course you are either dead or in a comma by then.
True again. It's not really a kill first mentality, but it's definitely a hurt first. But if you end up dying in the process of being "hurt" TOO BAD for you.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:42 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Hate to be a fact-checker, but you, the one who started the thread, didn't even know the race of the guy that got killed. Then you throw Howard Beach into the mix, completely different than this. He beat those kids with a baseball bat, clearly intending to cause some type of serious injury.

At the end of the day, the kid that threw the punch could have just walked away. But that's why we have laws. IMO he didn't intend to kill that night.
Why would I need to know the race of the victim?????? Part 2 to your question, I injected HB into the discussion because of the street justice angle. As I thought the case is going the way it is. Let me pose this question to you. In the HB case, the victim/aggressor lived. In the BX case the victim/aggressor died. How does the the guy in HB get 15 years in prison. Then the guy in the BX highly doubtful get any type of prison?

In terms of intending to kill? Yeah, i agree with you 100% on that thinking but we also have to see the risks in our actions. For instance, i set up an archery set on my roof. One of the arrows misses the bullseye then hits someone below. Did I intend to kill someone? No, I'm practicing archery but I bet I get arrested. i should of realized by actions could be reckless. You sucker punch a intoxicated guy. Does that person have the motor skills and reflexes to block his fall? I would say no but that's why we have toxicology tests. At the end of the day it's business as usual in the good ole Boogie down.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:57 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
…………….Let me pose this question to you. In the HB case, the victim/aggressor lived. In the BX case the victim/aggressor died. How does the the guy in HB get 15 years in prison. Then the guy in the BX highly doubtful get any type of prison? ………...
Absence of a weapon ? Even the video seems to show the "tourist" aggressively coming at the guy , so he has a much more legit claim to self defense. Since the dead guy didn't have a weapon of any kind either,the response is considered appropriate under the circumstances. If he had used a weapon of any kind on the unarmed individual it would be a completely different case and he would probably be facing much more serious charges.

From various pictures I have seen,the dead guy also appears to have been quite a bit bigger than the defendant as well, so I'm sure he will use that to bolster the argument that he felt threatened.The 'tourist" also had a banana in his hand which could have been mistaken for some kind of weapon.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-27-2014 at 08:28 AM..

Old 05-27-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Absence of a weapon ? Even the video seems to show the "tourist" aggressively coming at the guy , so he has a much more legit claim to self defense. Since the dead guy didn't have a weapon of any kind either,the response is considered appropriate under the circumstances. If he had used a weapon of any kind on the unarmed individual it would be a completely different case and he would probably be facing much more serious charges.

From various pictures I have seen,the dead guy also appears to have been quite a bit bigger than the defendant as well, so I'm sure he will use that to bolster the argument that he felt threatened.The 'tourist" also had a banana in his hand which could have been mistaken for some kind of weapon.
Hey people have been shot 41 times for less imposing weapons (phone), so I guess the banana could be mistaken. On serious note that this guy hasn't been charged with at least assault 2 is pretty par for the course in Da Johnson's office.
http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article120.htm#p120.05 http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2013...e-report-shows

Old 05-27-2014, 08:35 AM

34,003 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Why would I need to know the race of the victim?????? Part 2 to your question, I injected HB into the discussion because of the street justice angle. As I thought the case is going the way it is. Let me pose this question to you. In the HB case, the victim/aggressor lived. In the BX case the victim/aggressor died. How does the the guy in HB get 15 years in prison. Then the guy in the BX highly doubtful get any type of prison?

In terms of intending to kill? Yeah, i agree with you 100% on that thinking but we also have to see the risks in our actions. For instance, i set up an archery set on my roof. One of the arrows misses the bullseye then hits someone below. Did I intend to kill someone? No, I'm practicing archery but I bet I get arrested. i should of realized by actions could be reckless. You sucker punch a intoxicated guy. Does that person have the motor skills and reflexes to block his fall? I would say no but that's why we have toxicology tests. At the end of the day it's business as usual in the good ole Boogie down.
First. Admit you were wrong. You assuming that the victim was white derailed the thread for a good 4 pages, all your fault.

Second. The guy that threw the punch was being directly harassed. Who throws a punch with intent to kill? What average person thinks that their knuckle game is so good that they can kill people with one blow? Just the way the victim fell is the difference between surviving and living. Had the victim fell on his side this wouldn't have even been in the news. Like I said previously, the guy could have just walked away. But who knows how you're going to react with a crazy drunk guy in your face. Everything happens so quick you go with your instinct and this kid decided to defend himself. We're humans, it's either fight or flight.

In Howard Beach, you have a guy who purposely left his house with baseball bats to purposely beat some other criminals up. What was he gonna expect, a medal of honor from NYPD? what would you rather get hit with? A closed fist or a baseball bat (repeatedly)?

Then what else about Howard Beach boy. Wasn't it 2 people he beat up? Did he have priors? You people don't know anything about criminal law.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-27-2014, 08:40 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times
Quote:
Hey people have been shot 41 times for less imposing weapons (phone), so I guess the banana could be mistaken. On serious note that this guy hasn't been charged with at least assault 2 is pretty par for the course in Da Johnson's office.
http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article120.htm#p120.05
I think the most important factor is that all of the eyewitnesses….and it appears there are many….all portrayed the defendant as the target of the "tourist's" aggression.With video and all eyewitnesses ready to testify this would have been an impossible case.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
First. Admit you were wrong. You assuming that the victim was white derailed the thread for a good 4 pages, all your fault.

Second. The guy that threw the punch was being directly harassed. Who throws a punch with intent to kill? What average person thinks that their knuckle game is so good that they can kill people with one blow? Just the way the victim fell is the difference between surviving and living. Had the victim fell on his side this wouldn't have even been in the news. Like I said previously, the guy could have just walked away. But who knows how you're going to react with a crazy drunk guy in your face. Everything happens so quick you go with your instinct and this kid decided to defend himself. We're humans, it's either fight or flight.

In Howard Beach, you have a guy who purposely left his house with baseball bats to purposely beat some other criminals up. What was he gonna expect, a medal of honor from NYPD? what would you rather get hit with? A closed fist or a baseball bat (repeatedly)?

Then what else about Howard Beach boy. Wasn't it 2 people he beat up? Did he have priors? You people don't know anything about criminal law.
Wrong about what???? Your the one and posters like you who keep injecting RACE.

MMA fighters charged with pummeling bouncer | New York Post,

Once again if bouncers and people in general attacked every belligerent drunk there would be no bars o clubs in NYC. How many aggressive panhandlers are there in NYC? i don't know know what you do for a living. I most certainly do not want a lien on my properties or to be civilly sued. I know that's not a pleasant experience.
The victim/aggressor in HB admitted he was there to steal cars/rims. That's why he left his area of downtrodden East NY to go to HB. he got a slice of street justice but I'm fully aware there is two sets of rules in the criminal justice system.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:45 AM

34,003 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Wrong about what???? Your the one and posters like you who keep injecting RACE.

MMA fighters charged with pummeling bouncer | New York Post,

Once again if bouncers and people in general attacked every belligerent drunk there would be no bars o clubs in NYC. How many aggressive panhandlers are there in NYC? i don't know know what you do for a living. I most certainly do not want a lien on my properties or to be civilly sued. I know that's not a pleasant experience.
The victim/aggressor in HB admitted he was there to steal cars/rims. That's why he left his area of downtrodden East NY to go to HB. he got a slice of street justice but I'm fully aware there is two sets of rules in the criminal justice system.
No - you injected race on the first page

Quote:
I couldn't more Rgr. Let's see if this garners the same press as Howard Beach or Bensonhurst.
What the hell did Bensonhurst have to do with this.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-27-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I think the most important factor is that all of the eyewitnesses….and it appears there are many….all portrayed the defendant as the target of the "tourist's" aggression.With video and all eyewitnesses ready to testify this would have been an impossible case.
LOL, DA Johnson would definitely charge higher with different players involved. That's my opinion. Bluedog, Orthodox Jew is punched in the head and dies. Assault 3 A Misd????? Be honest!!! They say the wheels of justice turn slowly and it's supposed to be color blind. That's a total croc of *****. Look no further then the preppy kids at Columbia selling massive amounts of Drugs. Any jail?????? Would the same kid on Brook Ave with a Legal Aid or BX Defender lawyer get the same sweet deal?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City