Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 07:30 PM

4 posts, read 10,510 times

Advertisements

Haven't been able to find a posting with the same sort of conditions so here goes. I rented a room in a basement apartment in Brooklyn in November. I found out a few months later that it's an illegal apartment, it's only zoned or whatever as "office/storage" space and not residential. Which was news to me, the couple living there who rented out the room to me never said anything about it. But in talking to the building manager it became clear that they at least already knew it wasn't legal. I never signed any lease, just have a verbal agreement with the couple who are the ones I've been paying rent to. So - do I still have to pay rent? From what I've been able to find out it appears you do have to pay rent in Kings County for an illegal apartment but only if you knew it was illegal when you moved in. Can I be evicted? I have certainly established proof of residency in my room for whatever that's worth. Can I sue the tenants for the rent I've already paid and/or for my deposit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 07:40 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,180,064 times
Listen you made the mistake to rent a room from a basement apartment which happens most seem to be illegal. Put on your Adult pants and start searching on CraigsList and find a new room to rent. You have no lease, and it's illegal for you to be there. Your not getting any money back so best to get your self out of the situation asap.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:52 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,011,907 times
Why should you get paid back for something you used? And since you didn't know all that time that it was illegal, it must have been an ok place to live, or I guess you would have wondered about it sooner.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:14 PM

Gosh I dunno, because it was rented illegally? I'm leaving in a couple months which is as soon as I can; nowhere have I seen that you can't get a deposit back, which I do have the receipt for. So, once again: does someone have a legal obligation to pay rent for a room in an illegal Brooklyn apartment, with only a verbal agreement and no written lease, to people who knew it was illegal but lied by omission?

Old 05-23-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Why should you get paid back for something you used? And since you didn't know all that time that it was illegal, it must have been an ok place to live, or I guess you would have wondered about it sooner.
It's always funny reading these illegal basement posts. They go about their life pay their rent and no issues until "OMG its ILLEGAL!" So can I get my money back? Well you had no issue paying for what you were getting before you found out and now that you found out you want your money returned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamakos View Post
Gosh I dunno, because it was rented illegally? I'm leaving in a couple months which is as soon as I can; nowhere have I seen that you can't get a deposit back, which I do have the receipt for. So, once again: does someone have a legal obligation to pay rent for a room in an illegal Brooklyn apartment, with only a verbal agreement and no written lease, to people who knew it was illegal but lied by omission?
You should get your deposit back if the room/apt is left in good condition but none of the previous rent you paid. If you are really concerned about living in a illegal apartment you wouldn't agree to staying a couple more months. And if you report it to the city you better be ready to pack you bags asap. Once they city finds out its illegal you and the other couple can be forced to leave very quickly.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:32 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,817,306 times
Yeah you're pretty much a loser scam artist trying to get over on someone. There's a million tiny laws on the books. I hope if you try and keep living there while not paying rent, someone sues the sht out of you.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:54 PM

[quote=livingsinglenyc;34932174] If you are really concerned about living in a illegal apartment you wouldn't agree to staying a couple more months.

Clearly your Friday night is jumpin! Ever occur to you geniuses that maybe people don't have the means to move right away? Thanks for correcting your earlier position on getting money back though!
And how am I the loser scam artist? Who did I lie to? Thanks anyways, Mr. Extremely Bitter Non-Lawyer.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamakos View Post

Clearly your Friday night is jumpin! Ever occur to you geniuses that maybe people don't have the means to move right away? Thanks for correcting your earlier position on getting money back though!
And how am I the loser scam artist? Who did I lie to? Thanks anyways, Mr. Extremely Bitter Non-Lawyer.
Yikes very bitter for posting on a forum and wanting people to tell you advice. Sorry if you don't like what you hear. For your sake you better hope no one complains about that place being illegal or you could be evicted real soon. So where do you live???

Oh and yes my Friday night is JUMPIN! I'm in my nice big legal apartment above ground. AH......

Last edited by livingsinglenyc; 05-23-2014 at 09:51 PM..

Old 05-23-2014, 09:49 PM

419 posts, read 620,362 times
pay $2000 to live above ground.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:49 PM

420 posts, read 820,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post

Oh and yes my Friday night is JUMPIN! I'm in my nice big legal apartment above ground. AH......
Damn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City