Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 02:04 PM

503 posts, read 898,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
South of 167th around Joyce Kilmer park and Franz Sigel Park seems decent. It gets less desirable pretty quickly as soon as you go east or west of the concourse though. The executive towers building is very nice indeed. Is that the area you're referring to?
South of 167th is no different. It is hood. Trust me. Franz Siegel is sandwiched in between Walton and GC btw, both of which are fully occupied all summer by the local tenants; till night time. Sitting down, for no reason. People use the park to drug deal and smoke weed. They can spot a cop car making the climb. A actual decent and livable block is behind GC, on walton ave between 151st-149th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 05:52 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXtransplant View Post
I have lived in the city for a long time and have long been priced out of Williamsburg [well north Brooklyn in general for buying a place] and have friends who have moved to Mott Haven/Port Morris areas and like it a lot.

My fiance and I have hung out up there and like the neighborhood. It's, obviously, a bit harder than where we live now and has, like, zero restaurants, but considering I used to live in Baltimore, it seems on the fine and I didn't feel uncomfortable walking at night, in fact people went out of their way to say hello and one woman, when I looked totally lost, even ventured out of her way to get me to the real estate appointment I was going to. It feels very 'neighborhoody' and community oriented in terms of revitalization.

We are in contract for a lovely townhouse which we will rent out until we are ready to move in a few years, after saving for more personalized historic renovations [like my love of ridiculously hideous victorian wallpaper, that most tenants would not think is as delightful as I do], but we would like to become active in the community before we take residence. I know there are a couple groups including Sustainable South Bronx, and Friends of Brooks Park, but in terms of neighborhood development and school improvement I was wondering if any residents who are on this board knew of any other organizations that we could donate time to?

We are planning to make Mott Haven our home when we have a family and anything we can do to improve the city services and education of the community would be beneficial. This could include what to write to which council board member, historic preservation groups, which schools could benefit from the more active voices, who to push for legislation regarding the waterfront park initiatives, or just general ideas?

Any suggestions would be welcome and thank you for your time!
I cant say why you want to make Mott Haven your longterm home. I as a longterm resident of Mott Haven myself I want out of the area. Even though Mott Haven has somewhat been improved in recent years I do not see the desire for one to live here besides its close proximity to Manhattan, everything else has a defeated purpose, such as rising cost, not so great public schools, air quality, quality of life issues, cost of living and etc. If you want to push anything in Mott Haven try to talk to home owners in the area as well as local educated residents who at times voice concern. Most of Mott Haven residents are poor and uneducated and are just trying to survive day after day which is a sad reality. But Mott Haven is slowly getting better and in due time residents attitude may change since residents can no longer afford the area and moving into other parts of the Bronx which are cheaper. I too have assited new comers with directions and even made them as acquaintances. Also some hip and transient folks also do not only live south of 138th street. Some also live west of Third Avenue and some also live north of 138th street between 149th street. I wish you luck here in Mott Haven.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:05 AM

116 posts, read 145,856 times
Not wanting to start a new thread so tacking on to this as I'm in a similar (although speedier!) situation to the OP. My spouse and I will be moving to Mott Haven by the end of year / beginning of 2015. We have spent some time there to get a feel for the neighborhood, and have seen many, many properties. It is very eye opening at times (2 family residences housing 4 or 6 families, places that haven't been updated in decades and appear to be crumbling), and as others here have mentioned, the gentrification that has been talked about for - what? the past decade? - seems (to my non-expert self) that it is slow at best.

However, the strip along Bruckner with Charley's, Ceetay, Bruckner B&G, etc. seems to be bustling, which is a positive. We have spoken to a few multi-building owners / landlords / realtors / developers there, and they are seeing inventory moving much faster with property improvements being made as well (both for single families or as investment properties). You can see it in some of the property prices too - they aren't targeting just developers. A smaller townhouse with original details is priced higher than a developer would likely pay - its as though they feel someone who appreciates those details would want to make it their home vs. simply renting it out.

In addition the neighborhood feels very "neighborhood-y" - in fact when we looked at a place a few weeks ago, a group of men that were outside on a stoop started chatting with us, wanting to tell us how great the neighborhood was, the amenities, and wished us luck on our search. They seemed very invested in cultivating the block.

Anyways, keeping my eyes wide open, and not expecting sunshine and rainbows, but excited for the new chapter!

Old 06-25-2014, 11:22 AM

343 posts, read 1,025,765 times
Mott haven is the hood. The amenities on the bruckner are bustling, but that doesn't make it a great place to live. You are sandwiched between several NYcHa developments, assisted living facilities and shelters, along with tons of section 8 housing. There are some great town houses there but most need a lot of work. Why would you want to walk through that everyday to and/from home? Mott haven like east Harlem is concentrated with public housing.

If you are looking for an investment, move further into the melrose area, where there are several market rate developments, condos, coops, etc filled with middle income professionals.

I'd even take the longwood historic district over Mott haven. Away from projects, quieter streets, better maintained brownstones and more owners Than renters, including east and west side subway access (2,5,6).

Old 06-25-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie180 View Post
Not wanting to start a new thread so tacking on to this as I'm in a similar (although speedier!) situation to the OP. My spouse and I will be moving to Mott Haven by the end of year / beginning of 2015. We have spent some time there to get a feel for the neighborhood, and have seen many, many properties. It is very eye opening at times (2 family residences housing 4 or 6 families, places that haven't been updated in decades and appear to be crumbling), and as others here have mentioned, the gentrification that has been talked about for - what? the past decade? - seems (to my non-expert self) that it is slow at best.

However, the strip along Bruckner with Charley's, Ceetay, Bruckner B&G, etc. seems to be bustling, which is a positive. We have spoken to a few multi-building owners / landlords / realtors / developers there, and they are seeing inventory moving much faster with property improvements being made as well (both for single families or as investment properties). You can see it in some of the property prices too - they aren't targeting just developers. A smaller townhouse with original details is priced higher than a developer would likely pay - its as though they feel someone who appreciates those details would want to make it their home vs. simply renting it out.

In addition the neighborhood feels very "neighborhood-y" - in fact when we looked at a place a few weeks ago, a group of men that were outside on a stoop started chatting with us, wanting to tell us how great the neighborhood was, the amenities, and wished us luck on our search. They seemed very invested in cultivating the block.

Anyways, keeping my eyes wide open, and not expecting sunshine and rainbows, but excited for the new chapter!
Yes the gentrification process in the area is very slow at best. Its best to keep it that way, however I have noticed increased non native NY and non immigrant type of people in the area at all hours coming off the train and walking in odd directions. I cant say the strip along Ceetay and Charlie's is bustling with pedestrian traffic? But I can say is that its bustling with motorist and commuter traffic since the thoroughfare is one of the many ways to get into Manhattan. So far Transplant folks live between Willis avenue and Brown place on 136 street. Most also live in between 132nd and 135th Street between St Ann's and Third Avenue, while some also live in lofts west of Third Avenue. I also have noticed some live in Brownstones on Alexander Avenue between the Projects and in between Willis and Brook avenues of 139th, 140th an 141st streets. I have alre3dy seen a few of these folks utilizing the St Mary's Park Recreational Center.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:04 PM

14 posts, read 15,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie180 View Post

OP here, been busybusy and it looks like we will be closing on our new place soon!

To Mattie180, totally "neighborhood-y", each time we go to visit our soon-to-be [fingers crossed] new house, we meet more of the neighbors and everyone is so friendly. We stopped by Brook Park and it's a great center for the community and environmental advocacy.

Thanks to anyone who made suggestions on how to positively effect the area, we appreciate it.

In terms of what Bronxguyenese said "Even though Mott Haven has somewhat been improved in recent years I do not see the desire for one to live here besides its close proximity to Manhattan, everything else has a defeated purpose, such as rising cost, not so great public schools, air quality, quality of life issues, cost of living and etc" This is whole reason Mott Haven was attractive to us; the low current cost and the proximity to Manhattan. It's so close to work that it will improve our quality of life, by lessening our commuting time, advocacy can help with the public schools and air quality. It's all well and good to say that no one will ever want to move there, but middle class 30 year olds can't afford to buy a Victorian Townhouse in brooklyn anymore. We ended up buying there because the price was right and we like the vibe.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:16 PM

343 posts, read 1,025,765 times
Quote:
OP here, been busybusy and it looks like we will be closing on our new place soon!

To Mattie180, totally "neighborhood-y", each time we go to visit our soon-to-be [fingers crossed] new house, we meet more of the neighbors and everyone is so friendly. We stopped by Brook Park and it's a great center for the community and environmental advocacy.

Thanks to anyone who made suggestions on how to positively effect the area, we appreciate it.

In terms of what Bronxguyenese said "Even though Mott Haven has somewhat been improved in recent years I do not see the desire for one to live here besides its close proximity to Manhattan, everything else has a defeated purpose, such as rising cost, not so great public schools, air quality, quality of life issues, cost of living and etc" This is whole reason Mott Haven was attractive to us; the low current cost and the proximity to Manhattan. It's so close to work that it will improve our quality of life, by lessening our commuting time, advocacy can help with the public schools and air quality. It's all well and good to say that no one will ever want to move there, but middle class 30 year olds can't afford to buy a Victorian Townhouse in brooklyn anymore. We ended up buying there because the price was right and we like the vibe.
Didn't you say that you weren't going to live in the house in your original post? What changed that?

Old 06-25-2014, 04:26 PM

14 posts, read 15,070 times
I said we were going to save money to do renovations and move in a few years, renting out in the meantime, which is still our plan, if we waited to buy until we were ready with the renovation money we wouldn't be able to afford the neighborhood, as the prices are rising. Regardless, we are still interested in community development and knowing the neighbors, as in a few years it will be our home and we will be seeing them over the years till then while we work on the house.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:59 PM

116 posts, read 145,856 times
Quote:

Congrats! By speedier - we are still waiting to finalize / close (fingers crossed, real estate in the Bronx is a very different beast!) but we will be renovating and moving in once ready.

Agreed with your sentiment on the reasons to move. Both of us work in the Manhattan off the 4/5/6 lines, so the proximity to subway was key. We weren't ready to make the leap to suburbs, wanted to buy, and figured we were adventurous enough to give it a go in Mott Haven vs. spending more for less in gentrified Brooklyn. Having family in the Bronx (albeit "way up" at 180th) helped as well - we haven't spent as much time in Mott Haven, but have in other areas that other people may find questionable.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:22 PM

There is plenty of room for improvement in Mott Haven. Just the other day a makeshift farmers market sprang up infront of a Catholic church on 138th street by the precinct which sold a good arrangement of farm fresh produce. I don't think housing projects is not going to slow down any effort of gentrification. Most of the crime remains within the confines of the development. Having housing projects did not stop out of town gentry liberal folks from moving to the LES, or heavily project infested parts of West Brooklyn, or even Harlem for that matter. Whatever choices you guys make is not wrong or right, you just have to work with it. The only benefit for those moving to Mott Haven is the close proximity to Manhattan. At times I can reach the 14 st Union Square in 20 minutes. Another time it took me 25 minutes to get to Bedford Avenue in Williamsburg to meet with a friend. No joke! Good luck with Mott Haven. You guys should really consult with Sobroguy, but he had a war with moderators who destroyed his account into oblivion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: