Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,554 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is Josh, I'm 23. As you can tell, I'm obviously looking to move to NYC. I've done some research and I'm still a little confused about some things. This message is to the Residents of NYC, that can lend a helping hand.
What are some things I "must know" before moving to NYC?
How do I go about looking for living space? I've checked several different sites on apartment listing for the same complex, each having different price listings. (hard to know what is legit)
Are there any websites dedicated to "referencing NYC"?
I know there is Hopstop.com
Which is for transit, train etc. but are there any other informational websites i could reference for help moving to the Big City??

Any and ALL help, would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 04:31 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
Have a job! A good paying one

Old 05-29-2014, 04:34 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Have a job! A good paying one
Yes, and move quickly; NYC is not for the slow of foot or mind.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:13 AM

3 posts, read 13,827 times
Just know that your apartment will be expensive.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:19 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshuaWayne View Post
Are there any websites dedicated to "referencing NYC"?
What does it mean to be a website dedicated to "referencing NYC"?

Old 05-31-2014, 03:44 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Good luck with your prospective move. Personally, I don't think you should collect too much information beforehand, as a lot will be useless or, worse, prejudicial. But I will mention that you'd better be prepared to be fast and responsive. I'd consider it a bad sign that you didn't return to reply after your first post.

The biggest site for housing is still Craigslist, but be prepared to winnow. The main thing to remember is to ask a lot of questions and never pay cash to a realtor or landlord. Since you're only 23, you might want to consider starting with a roommate. You also might want to start with a summer sublet, which will give you some time to scout around to see what locations appeal to you. I'd also suggest that you not rely exclusively on the internet, but also pick up some actual transit maps and a couple of guidebooks.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:36 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
The biggest site for housing is still Craigslist. The main thing to remember is to ask a lot of questions and never pay cash to a realtor or landlord.
Both are not fully true.

As someone who works in the business, you should never pay cash when it comes to brokers fee, 1st months rent/security/etc BUT it is normal to pay cash for application fees/deposits.

Craigslist is the biggest name around that part is true BUT Naked Apts is becoming the most popular due to broker ratings, accuracy and the fact that brokers have to pay a monthly fee to advertise there.

Only think you need to know at this point is live where you can afford not what you think or hear is "hot" area unless you can pay for it financially.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:36 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,305,886 times
Find the cheapest rent you can find, renting is like flushing money down a toilet ounce a month. You are 23 are you really going to be in there that much besides sleeping or using the bathroom/shower? Have a great time in the city, it is like no other!!

Old 06-01-2014, 12:07 AM

5 posts, read 7,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Both are not fully true.

As someone who works in the business, you should never pay cash when it comes to brokers fee, 1st months rent/security/etc BUT it is normal to pay cash for application fees/deposits.

Craigslist is the biggest name around that part is true BUT Naked Apts is becoming the most popular due to broker ratings, accuracy and the fact that brokers have to pay a monthly fee to advertise there.

Only think you need to know at this point is live where you can afford not what you think or hear is "hot" area unless you can pay for it financially.
You might be right about Naked Apartments but I have found that the site is fast becoming more like Craigslist with shady brokers and fake listings for Manhattan apartments at least.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:36 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrjhome View Post
You might be right about Naked Apartments but I have found that the site is fast becoming more like Craigslist with shady brokers and fake listings for Manhattan apartments at least.
Fake listings and shady brokers will never change anywhere you go. What makes naked apts different are agents reviews. Problem is the expectation potential tenants have and looking for cheap and prime areas thinking it actually exists. Rare are the ones and are usually gone in 3days or less.

As I tell my clients all the time here's how you separate real from the fake:

One agent has 8 reviews all 5 stars BUT each review says some form of this in like 1 sentence "best broker ever"

Another agent has 5 reviews and all 5 stars BUT his/her reviews are like paragraph(s) long explaining the process.

Go with the 2nd one. Reason being because whatever experience a person has good or bad they will talk about it beyond 5 words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City