Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 08:45 AM

993 posts, read 1,385,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner10 View Post
Exactly. The wake-up-the-neighborhood music is the protest song of the disenfranchised.
Oh, bull. Look, I see your comment makes a point when a loud vehicle roars through an upscale neighborhood.

My concern is the peace of my neighborhood. At 7 a.m., people who work are sleeping as long as they possibly can before alarms go off. Night workers ("graveyard shift") can only sleep in early mornings. Schoolchildren, catching their last half hour of sleep, need to be bright and alert to learn that day.

At 2 a.m. and 7 a.m., this kind of noise wakes up disenfranchised people who are just working hard to better themselves. At 7 p.m., I assume it's someone who can't get a date and must call attention to himself, because I never see women using their cars like this.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 08-31-2015 at 09:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 10:40 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Famous Ray View Post
Its part of living in a city. What can ya do? I grew up in the Bronx so I quickly got used to blaring tunes at night during the summer. I lived in Hudson Heights for a couple of years until I got priced out and I didn't hear ANYTHING late a night. zilch! That area of manhattan is so quiet! When I moved back to the Bronx I heard someone playing some garbage music with the bass too high (typical) in their car late at night within a week. lol

Now whats a bit surprising is that someone out there was playing Reggaeton. I thought that crap got played out years ago. Horrific music but thats just my opinion.

well, I dont buy that statement.
just because we live in the city does not give people the right to blast music in thier cars while driving down residential neighborhoods at any given time. It is unacceptable and not nice.

just because we live in the city doesn not mean we have to be forced to hear loise on evey level possible.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:12 PM

119 posts, read 110,843 times
I think we're in agreement that blaring music from cars is both annoying and deeply inconsiderate.

There have been dozens of posts here about rising rents, gentrification, etc. While I'm not saying it's true in every instance, I think it's possible some people who behave in this rude manner are feeling disenfranchised and this is a way to protest while driving through upscale or up-in-coming neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
Oh, bull. Look, I see your comment makes a point when a loud vehicle roars through an upscale neighborhood.

My concern is the peace of my neighborhood. At 7 a.m., people who work are sleeping as long as they possibly can before alarms go off. Night workers ("graveyard shift") can only sleep in early mornings. Schoolchildren, catching their last half hour of sleep, need to be bright and alert to learn that day.

At 2 a.m. and 7 a.m., this kind of noise wakes up disenfranchised people who are just working hard to better themselves. At 7 p.m., I assume it's someone who can't get a date and must call attention to himself, because I never see women using their cars like this.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:18 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner10 View Post
I think we're in agreement that blaring music from cars is both annoying and deeply inconsiderate.

There have been dozens of posts here about rising rents, gentrification, etc. While I'm not saying it's true in every instance, I think it's possible some people who behave in this rude manner are feeling disenfranchised and this is a way to protest while driving through upscale or up-in-coming neighborhoods.
Agreed. As a matter of fact, I know of some who openly do it in Bushwick. Although it's ultimately a losing battle, it's their way of sticking it to the people who they feel took over their neighborhood. Since they can't get them to leave, they do what they can to bring QOL down. The new locals around here though are pretty used to it by now. Nothing really fazes them anymore...

Old 09-01-2015, 02:52 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,478 times
My neighborhood is pre-gentrification, and it happens plenty. I think this behavior predates gentrification.

For some odd reason, you're justifying rank rudeness as if it's a form of political protest.

Here's one I witnessed at 7 a.m. A guy's idling his car, full volume, in front of a methadone clinic. Clinic director comes out to yell at him to go away. He yells back, "I'm just here picking up my brother." When director yells again at him to leave, some other neighbors yell at her, "You can't just tell people 'go away.'" It was a yelling mess. None of those hollering people have anything to do with gentrification, unless you believe a methadone clinic director is fru-fru and they're serving up lattes there.

If people are roaring through Bushwick as a form of protest, I don't know about that, I guess.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:11 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumberbob View Post
It's even better when you hear it blasted at 11PM and you are trying to sleep.
11PM lol. That's early around here. Try 5 AM...

I keep telling my wife that the antisocial behavior around here is designed to drive us gentrifiers out, and she calls me paranoid...

Old 09-01-2015, 05:16 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
Well I am a cranky old man and when I roll up on one of these bozos I put on my CD of Opera and turn it up louder hoping one of them will get the message
Before I leave this neighborhood, I'm going to rent a car with a massive soundsystem, and blast Ride of the Valkyries at about 9am, when these ne-erdowells have finally fallen into drunken slumber in their mother's and baby-mama's apartments.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:53 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
Might I recommend DEATH METAL as a "locals" deterrent. NAPALM DEATH...album entitled SCUM Or any album by CARCASS. Thank me later

Old 09-02-2015, 07:50 AM

47 posts, read 36,830 times
The funny thing is that the idiots blasting music from their cars usually have the worst taste in music IMO.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:15 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
It is inconsiderate, and shows people thier mentality. Mostly stupid people do this. A smart intelligent and sensible person would not do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City