Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 07:45 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,234,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acceptyourself View Post
Yea, definitely not living there...
I wouldn't tell you the building I was in anyway. The building would never want tenants like you. You actually probably wouldn't pass the approval process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 07:48 PM

103 posts, read 162,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv224 View Post
Are you asking for too much? Yes, you are.

This is Manhattan, where average rents are now above $3k for a 1 BR, and where there is tremendous high demand. Most 2BR in your range are going to have a 1bath. A friend of mine recently rented a 2BR/2Bath for above $4K, and that was on the lower side that he found.

Stop limiting yourself to Manhattan. NYC is more than just Manhattan. At an entry-level position, I guarantee you that people your age are no where in Manhattan. They are living in Astoria, Sunnyside, Greenpoint, and other parts of Brooklyn and commuting. At your age, you should think about saving. It makes no sense to waste half your salary on rent so you can "hang out" in Manhattan. You won't have any money leftover to "hang out" with!!
I would like Brooklyn but the commute would suck

Old 06-08-2014, 08:00 PM

251 posts, read 341,814 times
Quote:
Not really. It depends on where you live and where you need to go to. Keep in mind that during rush hour, most subway lines, regardless of which borough you live in, suck and are slow, even in Manhattan.

You started this thread with a question if what you were looking for in an apartment is unreasonable. The answer by most on this thread has been yes. You can keep saying over and over again that you don't want to compromise bathrooms or locations or anything else but the fact remains that you are getting very good advice from people who know what they are talking about. $70K is not enough to live in Manhattan. You can choose to not believe it and keep saying you won't compromise but the reality is, you will have to.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:08 PM

420 posts, read 823,463 times
Quote:
What kind of company would hire you for a $70k entry-level position when you don't even have the mental resolve to commute 20 minutes into Manhattan, let alone sit at a desk for (presumably) 70+ hours a week with actual work and responsibility?

Old 06-08-2014, 09:36 PM

47 posts, read 68,029 times
Look at places like washington heights, east harlem or inwood area. You can def find 2BR and 2Bathrooms for that price

Old 06-08-2014, 09:54 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwamemack View Post
Look at places like washington heights, east harlem or inwood area. You can def find 2BR and 2Bathrooms for that price
Yeah, he'll move there and then realize the commute from Brooklyn to his office is actually the same or easier!

Old 06-08-2014, 09:59 PM

34,076 posts, read 47,269,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
What kind of company would hire you for a $70k entry-level position when you don't even have the mental resolve to commute 20 minutes into Manhattan, let alone sit at a desk for (presumably) 70+ hours a week with actual work and responsibility?

#shotsfired

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-09-2014, 05:30 AM

103 posts, read 162,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
I dont mind the commute but my roommate would have a longer commute.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:06 AM

438 posts, read 653,438 times
Quote:
Is this too much to ask for?

Yes, it is!

Old 06-09-2014, 07:44 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,778 times
Haha at this thread.

I live in a building that is "everything the OP wants" and 2bd/2baths start are around $6000. My studio is almost out of his budget (out of mine too, hence why I am moving out in August)

I was going to tell the OP (and still am) that if he is open to the upper east side I have friends who have a 3 bed/2 bath on 97th and park and other friends that pay a little over 2000 for 2 beds/1baths on along second ave in the low 90s. I assume this isn't cool enough for him tho. Interesting that a GUY is all bent out of shape about sharing a bathroom. Most of my friends are girls and they all seem to manage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City