Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 08:57 PM

398 posts, read 746,343 times

Advertisements

I never found NYers to be unfriendly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 02:20 AM

99 posts, read 143,983 times
Pfffffft. New Yorkers are like the FRENCH.

You know what they say about the french dont you?
-snobby
-glued to cellphones
-starbucks in the other hand
-tell you wrong directions on purpose

etc.

Im sorry but i went to long island once and thought i was in another world. People holding doors open for me (that were not crackheads in front of mcdonalds). Making complete stops at stop signs and letting ME go first. Saying good morning to me and i dont even know them. Damn near insisting to lend me jumper cables when my car broke. Security didnt follow me around the store. Ahhh man i was on another planet called 'long island'.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:29 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalou View Post
I've always been struck by the difference in most New Yorkers and the stereotype. Having finally moved back to the city, I was walking on Broadway in Harlem yesterday with my husband when I tripped and fell, cutting my chin rather badly. Looked worse than it was, as I was gripping blood all over the sidewalk. At least three people came quickly to attempt to provide help. Several others looked on, obviously willing to help if needed. Later I was moved to tears by the thought of the kindness of these strangers. Is this important, when we look at some of the horrible things that happen, like the two kids who were stabbed? I think even so; no matter how many bad things can and do happen, there are hundreds or thousands of kind people for every wicked person.
These days NYers are much more friendly than 20 years ago when NYC had a much higher crime rate.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:28 AM

244 posts, read 707,249 times
I'm glad you encountered kind people here in NYC. I usually never do, but I tend to keep to myself and focus on my work/school and don't make eye contact with people.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:46 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
I'm glad you encountered kind people here in NYC. I usually never do, but I tend to keep to myself and focus on my work/school and don't make eye contact with people.
I don't find people here particularly friendly either...I'm not saying they will punch you in the face if you ask for directions, but in general, compared to other places, people are much more abrupt and rude. There is a reason why NY has that reputation....it didn't just come out of nowhere. I never found the whole "I'm so busy and I have no time for small talk" argument to be a valid one...but that's just me.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:09 AM

244 posts, read 707,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I don't find people here particularly friendly either...I'm not saying they will punch you in the face if you ask for directions, but in general, compared to other places, people are much more abrupt and rude. There is a reason why NY has that reputation....it didn't just come out of nowhere. I never found the whole "I'm so busy and I have no time for small talk" argument to be a valid one...but that's just me.
Yeah I agree, maybe because it's such a stressful environment. Especially on the bus or train, not to mention the expense. Don't get me wrong I love it here, but I usually find it better to keep to yourself when you're traveling. Joining clubs and other social events are a great way in meeting new people though!

Old 06-05-2014, 09:27 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,232,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I'm glad you encountered nice people and hopefully you're feeling better now, but I'm curious. How did you trip and cut your chin?

Were you on an unicycle, Rollerblades or something like that ?

Sounds like a pretty freak accident.
Have you ever been to the Caliente Cab restaurant in the West Village? There's a portion of the sidewalk that turns in. I think there's a Con Ed manhole there or something. Anyway, most people don't see it when it's dark. Hubby and I were waiting in line outside to be seated and I can't tell you how many people almost broke their necks because they tripped off the curb.

Go the street view and then move the cursor so you're around the corner and facing the yellow cab. Then zoom in on the picture. You'll see where the sidewalk is curved.

https://maps.google.com/maps?client=...ed=0CDQQrwswAA

OP, in crisis or when someone is injured, NY'ers always jump in to help.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:31 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,913,814 times
I find the midwestern transplants to be far more friendly then the natives. Long Island people are just as nasty btw.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:03 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalou View Post
I've always been struck by the difference in most New Yorkers and the stereotype. Having finally moved back to the city, I was walking on Broadway in Harlem yesterday with my husband when I tripped and fell, cutting my chin rather badly. Looked worse than it was, as I was gripping blood all over the sidewalk. At least three people came quickly to attempt to provide help. Several others looked on, obviously willing to help if needed. Later I was moved to tears by the thought of the kindness of these strangers. Is this important, when we look at some of the horrible things that happen, like the two kids who were stabbed? I think even so; no matter how many bad things can and do happen, there are hundreds or thousands of kind people for every wicked person.
There are also many parts of NYC in which people would laugh or have utter indifference towards you or worse, looked upon as a target. You were in a highly populated area with all sorts of different people around you. In quite a few areas you would not be cared about.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:33 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,232,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I find the midwestern transplants to be far more friendly then the natives. Long Island people are just as nasty btw.
HEY..WHAT'S THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN, HUH???

LOL J/K...you have somewhat of a point. I found that many native LI'ers are not very welcoming and can be very cliquish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City