Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 06:50 PM

24 posts, read 74,412 times

Advertisements

As bluedog mentionned. you can get 90-95%mortgages @ 5.125% but all lenders now require 780+ credit score.
No credit score: forget it or try to get a time machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 07:37 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,639,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post
It can actually be significantly higher than $100 - 200.
My response was from almost two years back. Nowadays PMI has become quite rare.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:50 PM

295 posts, read 1,505,002 times
Default My story...

I was "qualified" for a loan (of much more than I actually wanted) with 10% down (and excellent credit scores with a super-stable job for a private residence)...letter and all...made some bids & went into contract.

All of this changed sometime in January about when the following article was printed...at multiple sources...but I found it online here (my broker sent this to me when we no longer could get this loan through his bank):
GLT » House Hunting Center

So what happens...when you are qualified, have submitted a binder, and your bank says one thing...and later they say another? Well...this...
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/re...ref=realestate

Yep...you LOSE your binder. This can be quite a bit of $$...especially if you have saved for a few years for the down payment for your dream home.

I'm sure some banks are still doing 80-10-10. I think Sovereign is one that is (they offered me something like that when I called and spoke to a rep...it's a small bank)...but this is today (as I learned, tomorrow can hold something different).

I'm sure it all depends on how much $$ you get the mortgage for...as well as a million other factors.

Bluedog: I hope your friend is near closing, locked at that rate & really got a great deal. For all the rest of us...

My piece of advice: make sure you have a mortgage contingency in your contract that will extend to the time that you can secure the mortgage itself...with a rate lock and even to closing.

I hope I can save someone the headache & anxiety...

Old 03-25-2009, 04:03 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,523,463 times
Nightmare. Thanks for sharing. I hope that lawyers and realtors are up to speed on this one.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:54 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by znycgirl View Post
I was "qualified" for a loan (of much more than I actually wanted) with 10% down (and excellent credit scores with a super-stable job for a private residence)...letter and all...made some bids & went into contract.

All of this changed sometime in January about when the following article was printed...at multiple sources...but I found it online here (my broker sent this to me when we no longer could get this loan through his bank):
GLT » House Hunting Center

So what happens...when you are qualified, have submitted a binder, and your bank says one thing...and later they say another? Well...this...
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/re...ref=realestate

Yep...you LOSE your binder. This can be quite a bit of $$...especially if you have saved for a few years for the down payment for your dream home.

I'm sure some banks are still doing 80-10-10. I think Sovereign is one that is (they offered me something like that when I called and spoke to a rep...it's a small bank)...but this is today (as I learned, tomorrow can hold something different).

I'm sure it all depends on how much $$ you get the mortgage for...as well as a million other factors.

Bluedog: I hope your friend is near closing, locked at that rate & really got a great deal. For all the rest of us...

My piece of advice: make sure you have a mortgage contingency in your contract that will extend to the time that you can secure the mortgage itself...with a rate lock and even to closing.

I hope I can save someone the headache & anxiety...
Sorry to hear about your bad experience . That's really awful.Did you actually lose a downpayment?

Am not sure of all your circumstances or the circumstances of the people in the Times article but I do know that there have always been problems and misunderstandings around the differences between being "pre-qualified" for a hypothetical loan amount and actually having a commitment for a specific amount at a specific purchase price . Many people seem to think that being pre qualified or pre approved is a commitment and it is not.

I noticed that it says the people in the Times article signed the agreement to purchase in 2005 and yet were just ready to close in Sept of '08 ! God only knows why they did this but if they had a lawyer he should be shot for letting them sign it . I mean,that is ridiculous.The building was new construction by Toll brothers(known shysters) and the market had turned by then.I will bet anything that the reason why the banks wanted more $$$ was because the value of the apt had dropped precipitously between 05 and Sept 08.Did they think they could get the bank to give them 125% financing? Because that's probably what the situation was.

Luckily,my friend has a firm written commitment and the apt has been appraised.Her lawyer had her convert her pre qualification to a commitment before she actually signed the contract. It's not an 80-10-10 thing either .It is a plain , straight forward 90% coop purchase loan from one bank.

I have also heard that many banks,including Sovereign are steering clear of all new buildings unless at least 80% of the units have actually sold and steering clear of condo's and coops where less than 80% of the units are owner occupied or where anyone in the building is even behind in their maintenance.The appraisers have to get a sworn affidavit from the managing agent that no one is even 1 month behind and it is attached to the appraisal! Things are definitely tight.

My advice would be 1) do all your homework and know everything about a building,it's finances and it's residents finances before you even make an offer 2) deal directly with a bank re financing,not a mortgage broker( they are as bad as RE brokers!)3) have a good lawyer watching what is going on and 4) get a firm commitment and appraisal before you sign.There is plenty of time to be careful.You don't have to worry too much about a bidding war.

I have a feeling it is a great time to buy though.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:39 PM

23 posts, read 116,531 times
My situation has changed since the first post - I can now afford 30% down.

I'm wondering if there are still 70% LTV non-status mortgages available for non residents?

Old 10-22-2010, 07:47 AM

1 posts, read 977 times
I have 50% to put down...on property cost $275000.......am non res in USA...but have partner who is born bread USA,,,I have assets UK and Australi and wish to build house on the lot.....can you help,,Thanks Jono
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City