Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 07:57 PM

52 posts, read 63,645 times

Advertisements

What do the other tenants want to do ? Can't imagine living there with small children if it is mice infested and dangerous to their health. Did you complain in writing to the landlord and what did she say? Can you go into a hotel to keep yourself and your child safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 08:21 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenoops View Post
As I've said countless times, I didn't know about any of these issues until after I moved in. And again, the house is adequately sized for all tenants. And again, I plan to move out as soon as I humanly can. And no, I was never fishing for a free ride. A lot of talking and not enough listening...
I

Sure is a whole lot of talking and no listening, and guess who's doing it? Lol

Just pay your rent and move.

It's obvious your main concern isn't over your child's health otherwise you'd be high tailing it out of there if you thought for one second he was in jeopardy.

So far the main quip of this thread is money.

Seems like you and other tenants (probably with you leading them) went around the house looking for things to complain about. How did you know the basement has lead paint? Were you given permission to use or access the basement and why would your son be there?

Most of those things you listed could be easily rectified and no need to make a big commotion over it.

Yes, it does seem to be an illegal rooming house BUT you shouldn't try to extort money from the LL because of this. A court hopefully would see through your actions and won't give you squat. Two wrongs don't make it right. Just as people here have seen through you so will a judge.

Regarding the COO, some buildings in NY do not have COOs because they were built prior to COOs came into being. As for the add ons or changes, it depends on the work done and zoning. Secondly, you do not know for sure if anything is illegal since you've never seen the COO or talked to someone at the DOB to give info.

Anywho, your actions speaks louder than words. NO JUDGE WOULD SIDE WITH EITHER YOU OR YOUR LL. The only thing you'll do is have everyone else in that house angry at you.

If you really are concerned about your son's health then move as soon as you can and stop having visions of lawsuits dancing through your head.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:22 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,023,673 times
Strong sense of entitlement?

Old 06-04-2014, 09:48 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Strong sense of entitlement?
Yeah that and a schemer.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:11 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
My housemates and I have been asking for the problems to be fixed for months. My fear is that if 311 is called, they'll call a city building inspector, he'll find the issues and force us to vacate. Even if it's temporary, it be problematic to do. I've talked to my housemates and they all feel the same way. The list was compiled long before I owed money. Wow, everyone is so quick to think the worst about a stranger. It's not like my situation is the first time this has ever happened.
This is just BS. You have a young child you say you're concerned about, yet you let your child live in a home with no smoke detectors? You're too afraid to call 311 AND you can't cough up $7.00 for a smoke detector that could save your child's life?

All your explanations are just sounding weaker and weaker. It seems you don't like the place you're living, you spent your money on stuff other than rent, and you think you stumbled on an excellent way not to pay. And you expect people here to back you up. Sorry, no.

Kidde Fyrewatch 0913 Fire Smoke Alarm - Walmart.com

Old 06-04-2014, 10:14 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
What do you mean move as soon as you humanly can? Did some other-world experience prevent you from gathering your family today and moving from this death trap you describe? So it's good enough to stay until you can move at your convenience, just not good enough to pay rent? I understand.

Quote:
As I've said countless times, I didn't know about any of these issues until after I moved in. And again, the house is adequately sized for all tenants. And again, I plan to move out as soon as I humanly can. And no, I was never fishing for a free ride. A lot of talking and not enough listening...

Old 06-04-2014, 11:04 PM

99 posts, read 144,040 times
" JUST BECAUSE MY RENT ISN'T PAID IN FULL DOESN'T MEAN THAT MY RIGHTS AS A TENANT ARE LESSENED " - Original Poster

Im sure your familiar with "Squatters Rights" as well. Ahah you are a landlords worst nightmare. Exterminator, smoke alarm, No cert. of occupancy? Come on you seem like the type that goes to Peter Lugers and eat an ENTIRE steak then tell the waiter the food was horrible. Then when he says ill take it back to the kitchen you say "no just take it off my bill". Or even worse scheme and pretend your going to smoke a cigarette and ditch the bill altogether.

You have no rights as a tenant technically if you are living in an 'illegal dwelling' as you claim. On top of that your landlord can argue that he/she cannot make the repair DUE TO WHAT....?

*think hard*

Hmmmm....i wonder why? oh yeaaaaa YOUR LACK OF PAYMENT. The court system is set up in your favor though so it's on you if you wanna eat lawyer fees for sec. and dep. back. I say keep it moving like the other 5pgs. of people did already.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:22 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,319 times
Quote:
In my eyes she screwed ME over. The law is the law. The eyes of legality are blind and therefore unbiased, but clearly you are not. Instead of looking at my situation from a neutral perspective like a judge is wont to do, you are putting yourself in the shoes of my landlord, and panicking as a result. Why? Because your brain was programmed to think in dollar signs, while ignoring my rights as a tenants to a SAFE and HABITABLE home for my family.

You must not be a parent, so let me repeat this for you: there is LEAD in the house. Lead is extremely harmful to children under the age of six. ALL of the children in the house are under six. There are no window bars on the windows, and the house is located in a high-crime area. Again, there are CHILDREN in the household. There is a reason why these building codes are in place, and the house is not up to code. THAT is why there is no C of O. No matter which way you slice it, the landlady is in the wrong, and justice needs to be served.

Just like you (presumably) exercise your rights as a citizen daily, I will NOT be denied my righ.ts as a tenant just because one anonymous stranger believes that I'm looking for a "free ride".

NO honey there is more than one of us who thinks you are looking for a free ride. Pay your rent up to date and then decide if you want to move and let us know where so we can forward this info to any potential landlord to show what a sleaze they are about to inherit.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:23 AM

581 posts, read 1,244,249 times
Lol.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:46 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,425 times
I really want to say lol at ghetto trash but that's just being spiteful and not conducive to point i'm going to try to make.

OP - don't waste your time and just get the f--k out. don't be trying to milk a situation that you got yourself into and move on. you and your children would be best served if you guys moved on and focus that time/energy on improving your quality of life. calling to nyc govt? calling lawyer? why waste your time/money, channel that to working harder, get more education, and plan a future. seriously, you are not going to end up in any better state. i know, i grew up in basement studio with family of four in crappy illegal housing. if you can't find a place for your budget then look further until you find something.

on personal note, situations like you and the mentality you are showcasing are the exact reasons why LL sometimes go overboard about who they lend to by putting so many hurdles and hoops to jump through. not to mention, you are partially contributing to the exact problem of LL not wanting to rent the unit out to folks of your situation/income range after they get burned. so think about that too. anyway good luck and stop wasting your time here. you won't find any sympathy for someone who came across as trying to milk the system when it works for you but freak out when system is working against you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City