Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 07:56 AM

18 posts, read 23,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
I

Sure is a whole lot of talking and no listening, and guess who's doing it? Lol

Just pay your rent and move.

It's obvious your main concern isn't over your child's health otherwise you'd be high tailing it out of there if you thought for one second he was in jeopardy.

So far the main quip of this thread is money.

Seems like you and other tenants (probably with you leading them) went around the house looking for things to complain about. How did you know the basement has lead paint? Were you given permission to use or access the basement and why would your son be there?

Most of those things you listed could be easily rectified and no need to make a big commotion over it.

Yes, it does seem to be an illegal rooming house BUT you shouldn't try to extort money from the LL because of this. A court hopefully would see through your actions and won't give you squat. Two wrongs don't make it right. Just as people here have seen through you so will a judge.

Regarding the COO, some buildings in NY do not have COOs because they were built prior to COOs came into being. As for the add ons or changes, it depends on the work done and zoning. Secondly, you do not know for sure if anything is illegal since you've never seen the COO or talked to someone at the DOB to give info.

Anywho, your actions speaks louder than words. NO JUDGE WOULD SIDE WITH EITHER YOU OR YOUR LL. The only thing you'll do is have everyone else in that house angry at you.

If you really are concerned about your son's health then move as soon as you can and stop having visions of lawsuits dancing through your head.
Visions of lawsuits? I'm only going by what I've thoroughly researched. There was a similar "suit" to mine several years ago. Even though the tenant unfortunately did owe rent, the judge ordered that it was not recoverable because there was no C of O, and the tenant was given her security and moving costs. I can cite that case if you'd like.

I am the newest member of the house, so the problems were present long before I was. No matter how we went about solving the issues, the main point should be that the issues are still present after many months.

Also, you have no idea how people who are strangers to you might feel about a thing I tell them.

Definition of extort: obtain money through threats. So when did I ever say I was planning to threaten anyone? It seems like many people here have their judgement clouded by their own personal emotions about the situation. But in reality, the law is blind and unfeeling, and there's a very good reason for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 08:03 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
I really want to say lol at ghetto trash but that's just being spiteful and not conducive to point i'm going to try to make.

OP - don't waste your time and just get the f--k out. don't be trying to milk a situation that you got yourself into and move on. you and your children would be best served if you guys moved on and focus that time/energy on improving your quality of life. calling to nyc govt? calling lawyer? why waste your time/money, channel that to working harder, get more education, and plan a future. seriously, you are not going to end up in any better state. i know, i grew up in basement studio with family of four in crappy illegal housing. if you can't find a place for your budget then look further until you find something.

on personal note, situations like you and the mentality you are showcasing are the exact reasons why LL sometimes go overboard about who they lend to by putting so many hurdles and hoops to jump through. not to mention, you are partially contributing to the exact problem of LL not wanting to rent the unit out to folks of your situation/income range after they get burned. so think about that too. anyway good luck and stop wasting your time here. you won't find any sympathy for someone who came across as trying to milk the system when it works for you but freak out when system is working against you.
The bolded is the best advice you're gonna get on this board, OP.

Channel that energy on improving your life and your child's well being.

if this place is unhabitable as you say, then you need to be gone yesterday.

Last edited by likeminas; 06-05-2014 at 08:14 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 08:16 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenoops View Post
JUST BECAUSE MY RENT ISN'T PAID IN FULL DOESN'T MEAN THAT MY RIGHTS AS A TENANT ARE LESSENED.
It does when the ONLY reason you brought it up is because YOU CAN'T PAY THE RENT.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:18 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:

I'm not a deadbeat--I was struggling to pay every bill I possibly could, while worrying about feeding my son and putting gas in my car, things I sometimes couldn't even do. I'm a human being.
But you went out and bought hundreds of dollars of furniture, remember?

Old 06-05-2014, 11:23 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,152 times
Apparently you've never heard of something called, "if it sounds too good to be true, it isn't".

I'm going to assume that if you took the exact same living quarters, but had everything brought up to code and legal, your rent would no longer be what you are currently not paying now.

You are also on a month to month "lease" which means the landlord can change the rent, and also terminate your lease at anytime. (with notice) So no, the rent increase seems like a bait and switch and illegal, but it's not.

I also find it funny that you state that you don't have the time and energy to look for a second job to be able to afford your rent, but you certainly have the time and energy to go on a message board and look for ways to screw people out of your money.

You might not be able to, but just try to look at it from an outside perspective. You don't have enough money to pay rent in lower crime, legal housing, so the nice land lord offers a way for you, someone down on their luck, to have a roof over their head, it's not the best roof, but hey, it's a roof. Now that you're getting EXACTLY what you paid for, you are complaining because you're not getting more.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:26 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i regret your financial circumstances
I know it must be rough on the children and you
You probably feel the landlord should be trying to help you work it out
However i must say from the other point of view
Burning landlords and then using threat of litigation to avoid a eviction notice on your record is very common here
sorry I don't have more sympathy for it
I have made many beautiful homes for people and been treated badly at times in return
Making a place beautiful costs money that is why they charge rent

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 06-05-2014 at 11:51 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 03:24 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,334 times
Quote:
I moved to NYC at the beginning of April, to a housing collective.
WTF is a housing collective?

Old 06-05-2014, 04:06 PM

420 posts, read 823,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
WTF is a housing collective?
I'm assuming it's like a NYC version of:

Kowloon Walled City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-05-2014, 05:18 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,811 times
Just to add to this ridiculous thread.

OP the next place you get is probably going to be illegal being that you are looking for cheapest as possible. This will be your pattern for life likely. Research better next time instead of wasting time complaining & trying to screw a LL over!!

Old 06-05-2014, 07:17 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Bottom line OP - you don't have to pay. She can't take you to court to sue for back rent if the apartment is illegal. So by all means - find a new place to live, and don't pay her. I worked in a landlord/tenant law office for 3.5 years. It's kinda like attempting to take your drug dealer to court because the marijuana wasn't good enough.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City