Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 11:05 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
brooklyn: Paris by the gowanus.

rofl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 11:09 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ I'm not from Manhattan, although I have close family from there.

Everyone knows Manhattan has lots of culture like operas, orchestras,
fashion, plays, broadcast and parades, although that's not the question.
So you said I never lived in Brooklyn and I told you I DID and I asked whether you lived in Manhattan and you basically said NO. Am I right?

Quote:
although that's not the question
It was not made the question by ME but it has very much been made the question by other posters.

The OP asked about the CULTURE of Brooklyn and I responded, in essence, NOT MUCH...
and then die-hard Brooklynites tried to make a silk purse out of a pig's ear by declaring Brooklyn a world class cultural icon which it AIN'T.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:02 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,376,161 times
^ I said you were not from Brooklyn. You might have lived in Brooklyn,
but maybe you don't have the same pride as a native, so that makes
you think it has no culture I guess.

You were the first one who started talking about Manhattan in here.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:28 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,618,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronsolini View Post
Can someone talk about, like, and I hope I word this clearly, like the culture of the people. You know how the Southerners are seen as hospitable and the Midwesterners are seen as friendly. How would you classify Brooklynites?
I feel bad that everyone has ignored your question and is fighting amongst themselves.

Although I'm not a Brooklyn expert, I have occasion to be there from time to time.

A lot of people in certain parts of Brooklyn are midwesterners and southerners acting as they think NYers are supposed to act.

Some of the people who I know who live there will tell you right away that they live in Brooklyn, and keep mentioning it just in case you forget. (On the other hand, when you live in the Bronx, it tends not to be the first thing out of your mouth for whatever reason.)

If you live in Brooklyn and have the money to do so, you buy a brownstone and re-do it yourself, keeping as many of the original features as possible. If you don't have the money to do this, you silently envy those who do and pretend to be happy in your small apartment, because anyway, you live in Brooklyn. Don't forget to buy organic, locally-sourced products and raise chickens in your backyards if possible (if you have one).

Last edited by yodel; 06-11-2014 at 05:51 PM..

Old 06-11-2014, 05:38 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,199,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
I have no problem with transplants but you're viewed as one of the reasons Brooklyn is actually LOSING its culture. So ironic, I know.

Interestingly enough, it is the things and people moving out of the borough that yuppie cheerleaders such as yourself applaud that actually cause brooklyn to lose it's cultural identity more and more each year.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:36 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,277,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Interestingly enough, it is the things and people moving out of the borough that yuppie cheerleaders such as yourself applaud that actually cause brooklyn to lose it's cultural identity more and more each year.
Like less reggaeton blasting in Williamsburg these days.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:47 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,408,094 times
It was a refugee camp for the diverse greenwhich village crowd who got priced out. Now it is a refugee camp for yippies hoping to make the "hip" move to brooklyn. TOO LATE the cool kids are moving further out into brooklyn and even out of the city.

That's all there is to it.

It was a low income "working mans" neighborhood with a lot of diversity and character....because of the people NOT the location.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Like less reggaeton blasting in Williamsburg these days.

Yes, because Brooklyn was either loud obnoxious puerto ricans or yupsters. Nothing else in any way. Valid point...

Old 06-11-2014, 09:15 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,444,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
LOL! Please tell me how exactly am I a yuppie cheerleader?!

Is it because I'm actually pro-development for MY BIRTH borough (I am a native Brooklynite)? Or because I'm all for people working for what they have (and if they can't afford it move somewhere else?) Harsh? Oh well. Sue me. Everyone wants to be pitied and truthfully that's a different thread.

By now you should know where I'm from (I've posted about my neighborhood and everything) including the hospital I was born in and my background. Stop assuming you know anything about me (unless of course you were alluding to the fact that I love development around my birth borough and the city as a whole).

No city or place will ever stay the same forever, the sooner people realize this fact we would all be able to move on with life faster.

I know you probably HATE the recent news of a Brooklyn tower exceeding 1,000 FT where the Junior's site is (if air rights are bought, which I'm positive will happen). The owner is negotiating with whatever buyer to keep the restaurant on the ground floor, hopefully the buyers wouldn't mind.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
LOL! Please tell me how exactly am I a yuppie cheerleader?!

Is it because I'm actually pro-development for MY BIRTH borough (I am a native Brooklynite)? Or because I'm all for people working for what they have (and if they can't afford it move somewhere else?) Harsh? Oh well. Sue me. Everyone wants to be pitied and truthfully that's a different thread.

By now you should know where I'm from (I've posted about my neighborhood and everything) including the hospital I was born in and my background. Stop assuming you know anything about me (unless of course you were alluding to the fact that I love development around my birth borough and the city as a whole).

No city or place will ever stay the same forever, the sooner people realize this fact we would all be able to move on with life faster.

I know you probably HATE the recent news of a Brooklyn tower exceeding 1,000 FT where the Junior's site is (if air rights are bought, which I'm positive will happen). The owner is negotiating with whatever buyer to keep the restaurant on the ground floor, hopefully the buyers wouldn't mind.

Holy hell man. Do you really need to drive home the fact that it's your borough, with nice big capital letters and bold? You are actually writing like kefir king here...I know man. I really don't care. It's mine too.

Did I make mention of people not being able to afford living anywhere? No. We are simply talking about "culture" in this thread. When it comes to Brooklyn, it's culture has always been about it's humble, diverse, working class, family-oriented neighborhoods and the kinds of establishments, businesses, and activities (including music and the such) that go with it. Nowadays you see less and less of that, and more and more clumps of tower in the park style, yuppie condos, followed by the pretentious businesses and snotty a-holes with their crappy music and "art" that both proceed and follow them (north brooklyn at least). It is what it is, I agree. But that is Brooklyn losing it's "culture". That is developers trying to make Brooklyn look and feel like midtown. And you indeed cheerlead it every time the topic comes up.

Last edited by availableusername; 06-11-2014 at 10:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City