Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 12:45 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,034,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
The first group of Puerto Ricans to arrive to New York City was back in 1898 after the Spanish-American war.
Yep - don't think my grandmother's parents came that early but I think it was about 10 years after that. The area where Lincoln Center is now was where many Puerto Ricans settled back then, before East Harlem. My dad's family was part of the larger migration in the early 40's, he was born in PR and came to NYC as a child, although they went to The Bronx (in what was a primarily Jewish neighborhood back then) and not East Harlem. East Harlem was where my mom grew up though, and my half-Italian cousins lived on Pleasant Ave. in the 60s and 70s before moving to Brooklyn. (just to bring all the various discussions in this topic together )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 01:01 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
Yep - don't think my grandmother's parents came that early but I think it was about 10 years after that. The area where Lincoln Center is now was where many Puerto Ricans settled back then, before East Harlem. My dad's family was part of the larger migration in the early 40's, he was born in PR and came to NYC as a child, although they went to The Bronx (in what was a primarily Jewish neighborhood back then) and not East Harlem. East Harlem was where my mom grew up though, and my half-Italian cousins lived on Pleasant Ave. in the 60s and 70s before moving to Brooklyn. (just to bring all the various discussions in this topic together )
Yeah it's amazing that Puerto Ricans have played a a huge role to New York's culture. They have been here since there was a lot of Jews, Italians, and so on from back in the days. As you may know Freestyle music was created mainly by Italians and Puerto Ricans from NYC. I have never been to Nuyorican Poets Cafe in Spanish Harlem. One of these days I'm going to go.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:26 AM

101 posts, read 205,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I got nothing against Puerto Rico, but why does it get such a massive parade? My country doesn't even have one. Peru doesn't have a parade, Ecuador has a small one, Colombia has a small one, it's like why does Puerto Rico get a special treatment? :/ I wish other countries would get equal treatment
Yeah and I don't know what the hell they are even celebrating for. Are they celebrating high debt and high unemployment and high crime rate in Puerto Rico when they come to the United States? Is that what they are proud about? Then you got the Nuyoricans wannabe Puerto ricans fighting and trying to rape women.

Google Puerto Rican day Parade Sex attacks

The appeal #1 - YouTube

The island of PUerto Rico is 7 Billion in debt. Instead of paying for a parade maybe they should pay for the island debts.
Has a population of 4 Million and 15% unemployment

They call the island Welfare island
Puerto Rico: Trouble on Welfare Island | The Economist

Puerto Rico is not part of Latin American never has and never will be. First reason is because it is located in the Caribbean and the 2nd reason is because it is a commonwealth of the United States but even the United States doesn't want it as a state.

The crime rate in Puerto Rico is very high.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/09/us...odus.html?_r=0

The thing is their is nothing to celebrate and this is why the parade is a sham. It is just an exhibition with women dressed provocatively and shaking their booty to reggayton and ghetto urbano music. The sad part is it seems like the Dominicans have also started to act the same way as Puerto Ricans and the women are just shaking their booty and dressing scandalous.

I guess it is a Caribbean thing not a Latin American thing. Thank God. If Mexican women acted this way then I would hope that the organizers just canceled the parade. We don't need our women acting like Hoes and dressing like Sluts to draw attention to our culture.
Dominicans and Puerto Ricans or Caribbean women in the parade.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnoLtcIm7eU

Mexican Culture is to rich with history and folklore. Like Mariachi, Noreteno, Banda, Los dies de los Muertos, Amerindians/Messo Americans, Aztec, Maya and many other Native Americans. We don't need thugs ruining the Mexican parade either.

Last edited by ElMexicano; 11-08-2014 at 06:34 AM..

Old 11-08-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Spent time in the hall playing when they were talking about Puerto Rico. That island is part of the USA, even if some of them might wish it wasn't. PR is as American as TX!
America is a continent not a country. You mean it is as United States as Texas? The official name of the country is the United State of America and not America. In other words the United States is just a country not the whole continent or continents. America being a super continent and the United States being a country made up of states but not the whole continent or continents of the Americas. Puerto Rico is just a Caribbean island that is a commonwealth. It is not part of the Continental United States.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Are you hating on Puerto Ricans lol? Well First of all the first National Puerto Rican parade was held in 1958 so yes this parade have been going on for years and years. Before it was only called the Hispanic parade. The parade was called like this, because to be Hispanic in NYC it meant to be Puerto Rican. Also Puerto Rico is part of the United States. So even the Puerto Ricans that are born in Puerto Rico are US citizens. Now there's a huge decline in Puerto Ricans. They have moved away to other states. Now mainly there are Dominicans, and soon there will be a majority of South Americans, mainly Mexicans.

Dominicans Gaining on Puerto Ricans in City - NYTimes.com

FALLING BACK: A special report.; Puerto Rican Presence Wanes in New York - New York Times
Mexicans are from North America not South America. LOL The country of Mexico is in North America so how are we South Americans. Mexico is one of 3 countries that make up the North American Union.

The North American Union (NAU) is a theoretical economic and political union of Canada, Mexico, and the United States. This lead to NAFTA or the North American Free Trade Agreement. They have meeting in the United States, Canada and Mexico every year.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Yes and people also seem to assume all Afro-Latinos or black Latinos are Dominican. I myself have to tell people no I am Puerto Rican.
Majority of Afro Latinos are Dominicans probably followed by Cubans, and Puerto Ricans. 90% of the Dominican are Afro Latinos and 60% are Cubans and 45% are Puerto Ricans. In New York the Nuyoricans are probably even more than 45% closer to 60% because their are man African American/Puerto Rican couples.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:32 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
Lol but you're Mexican

Old 11-08-2014, 01:43 PM

355 posts, read 390,746 times
I'm Irish why do I love PR food?

Old 03-02-2015, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,082 times
Lol..Being Boricua pretty much allows you to blend in with just about any ethnic group there is. I for example, get people thinking I'm everything but Puerto Rican. I have long straight, silky, dark hair & I guess because of that a lot of people think im from India or Brazil or even Mexican. I had a white woman tell me how my exotic look was very becoming to her. lol..& then she asked me if I was from India, I laughed & said no! I'm from Puerto Rico. .

Old 03-02-2015, 06:28 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
A parade is only as big as the crowds who come to line the route and the sponsors who pay to prop it up. You can have a "big" parade with half the route of the Puerto Rican Day Parade if you have enough people willing to party/line the route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City