Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,356 times

Advertisements

Hi there, Hope someone can help me in understanding the parking sign attached. Does this mean I can never park at this spot (except Sunday) as I own a non-commercial vehicle?

Thank you!!
Attached Thumbnails
Decipher NYC parking sign-parking_sign.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 01:19 AM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linking90 View Post
Hi there, Hope someone can help me in understanding the parking sign attached. Does this mean I can never park at this spot (except Sunday) as I own a non-commercial vehicle?

Thank you!!
Yes - that's what it means

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-09-2014, 07:48 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
I think the sign is ambiguous in that it could also be taken to mean that in the allowed hours commercial vehicles can STAND but non-commercial vehicles can PARK subject to feeding meters and a 3 hour limit.

I think this interpretation is better because it seem unreasonable to allow STANDING for 3 hours or for commercial vehicles, presumably making deliveries, to feed meters.

It would help the public if they used punctuation on these signs, or better have them written by someone who has gotten out of third grade.

Is it possible that these signs are deliberately kept vague to increase the number of parking fines?

Old 06-09-2014, 08:12 AM

169 posts, read 675,057 times
Quote:

Thank you!!
What exactly is not clear? Start at the top:
- No parking for anyone from 7 to 10 am
- Commercial vehicles only all other times, 3 hrs limit, metered.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:15 AM

8,678 posts, read 11,069,654 times
It pretty obvious to me....or perhaps I am use to reading these signs being a lifelong NYer. I've seen plenty to passenger vehicles get tickets when only commercial parking are allowed...driver must think feed the meters= its ok to park when they feel like.

Signs are read from top to bottom always

-top says no vehicles can stand there 7-10am

-then next says all other than the 7-10am, only commercial vehicles can park there with a 3 hr time limit if they feed the meter.

-Sunday: vehicles can park there all day

Old 06-09-2014, 08:52 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,029,695 times
Just to add to the confusion, notice the arrows on the sign. The part above "other times" refers to No Standing on the entire block to either side of the sign. The No Standing rules below "other times" refer to the street to the left of the sign only.

Good luck

Old 06-09-2014, 11:46 AM

424 posts, read 593,594 times
That's always confused me. I constantly see people standing around those no standing areas and I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,842 times
I think you can only park there Sundays since you have a non-commercial vehicle.

if you had a commercial vehicle..To the LEft of the sign you could park there with 3 hour metered parking except from 7-10am.
Really confusing for non-commercial b/c of the mis-matched arrows.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:01 PM

252 posts, read 607,421 times
Quote:

Thank you!!

Looks like you can only park there on Sundays

Old 06-09-2014, 02:04 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times
you can't sit in your car and wait for anyone unless it
is sunday or you're a commercial vehicle after 10 am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: